Election 2008 | Michael Stipe | Mike Huckabee | Music | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Michael Stipe Hearts Huckabee, But He's Not Sure Why

Stipe_huckabee

REM frontman and gay vegetarian Michael Stipe recently confessed to being seduced by Mike Huckabee. He told Jane Pratt on her Sirius radio show:

"I've never seen the guy [Huckabee] talk, not even online. I have never seen him talk for 30 seconds...[and] he's really charming. I instantly wanted to call [Generation X author] Doug Coupland and say 'OK, project one year into the future for me: what the hell does this mean?' Because he's a creationist, he's a Baptist minister. I can't think of probably a single issue in which I am even remotely in the same universe as that guy.and yet, he was kind of charming and self-deprecating. He was actually kind of a good sport, and funny, and I don't know what that means. Maybe it's a good thing that's he's being lauded right now by the right. He's an evangelical. May God bless all living creatures but my god, how weird."

Do your homework.

Recently
Flashback: Huckabee Congratulates Canadians on Their Igloo [tr]
Huckabee: Aberrant, Sinful Behavior of Gay People is a Choice [tr]
Huckabee on Having Gays in His White House: Absolutely, Why Not? [tr]
Mike Huckabee Stands By 1992 AIDS Quarantine Remarks [tr]

Comments

1. Stipe must not love animals too much because he is in full page ad's for Marc Jacobs. Jacobs loves to use real fur. Stipe is full of shit. You can not project this image of "save the animals" then promote some ugly asshole like Jacobs. Stipe probably is Republican.

Posted by: artfag | Jan 11, 2008 6:50:47 PM

2. I can understand where he is coming from and, no, I'm not thinking with my cock. (The thought of Huckabee in any sexual way is unbearable.) Remove the social issues from the picture and Huckabee could be very near Clinton in the center of the political spectrum.

I've lived through nearly 25 years of their combined policies in Arkansas government and, fag-hating, women's rights-quashing stuff aside, Huckabee did a wonderful job as Arkansas' governor. He really put meaning behind "compassionate conservatism." especially in his handling of the Katrina evacuees, chidrens' health insurance, and education.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've never voted for him and I don't plan to start in this next election. But I will be extremely surprised if it is not on the Republican ballot in November.

(As for my favorite candidate, I'll take the other formidable force in Arkansas politics from the '80s: HILLARY!)

Posted by: Tim | Jan 11, 2008 7:44:22 PM

3. While I have always loved REM, Stipe is so off the charts here. Yes I agree that if you caught Huckbee on Colbert early on, before you read or heard any of his positions, he can be funny, even charming. But Stripe is an artist, without the daily 9-5, taking care of daily needs like bills or a family.

READ A FUCKING NEWSPAPER MICHAEL!!!!!

What a disgrace. Huckabee is a bible freak fake, who knows nothing of what Christ talked about in the bible. Or as I say about my born again preacher brother, he knows the words in the bible, in his head, but not in his heart. That sir is what a true Christian is.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 11, 2008 8:59:35 PM

4. I thought MS now identifies as bi. Has this been updated?

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jan 11, 2008 10:45:38 PM

5. Peter, thanks for sharing that interesting anecdote.

I was reading it, thinking something like, "oh, lots of gay people would lie in the press and say they're straight, he probably regrets that time and is now a real stand-up guy."

But on reading your piece, I realized I couldn't say that at all. Damn. I know some stars can be real pricks, but that behavior was the prickiest I've heard of in a while.

Posted by: tjc | Jan 12, 2008 12:06:54 PM

6. Mike V. has it right.

Michael Stipe is obviously not endorsing Huckabee, he's just wondering aloud about a candidate who combines great personal charm with abhorrent views, and what that could mean for the country.

Posted by: Miles | Jan 12, 2008 12:32:10 PM

7. Peter Parker, you are talking shit. Stipe is a pretty cool guy for a mega famous rockstar. You think he's worse than Diana Ross??Gimme a brak, since you lived in Athens you should know he lives there and that Stipe lives in a normal neighbourhood in a normal house. A diva he is not! The bodyguards and VIP area were likely to give the guy a break from being chatted to by everyone in the room. As for your comments about him not telling the world he was bi-sexual, well that doesn't warrent a reply (so stupid)

I've met Michael Stipe a bunch of times, most recently in a private bar after their Dublin shows last summer. He's the most unassuming, laid back, down to earth rockstar out there. He and his bandmates have kept their feet firmly on the ground.

Posted by: Adrian | Jan 12, 2008 12:40:00 PM

8. I live in Arkansas and have been watching Huckabee at work for his entire political career. Don't let his humor and seeming affability fool you. When he first became governor, he and his wife missed no opportunity to gay bash. His wife had some gay-hating dig in every interview she did including the society page articles about the Governor’s mansion renovations. The only thing that stopped their gay baiting was the murder of Matthew Shepherd. Add to that his comments about "quarantining" HIV positive people and you see that he is no one any of us should be seduced by.
    I am sure that there are other snaggle-toothed, walleyed men with black hearts and good senses of humor that Michael Stipe can find to be attracted to.

Posted by: Randall | Jan 12, 2008 1:38:16 PM

9. Stipe said he strangely found the guy charming, not that he supported him, just charming.

Posted by: Adrian | Jan 12, 2008 4:53:17 PM

10. I can understand where Michael Stipe is coming from. . .

. . .as long as you can remember that the Bible states that Lucifer (aka Satan) was the most beautiful creature God ever created. . .

. . . connect the dots yourself!

Tom