Magazines | News | Zac Efron

'Bulletproof' Zac Efron Can Handle Suggestions He's Gay

Efron

Perez won't hurt me, Zac Efron tells Simon Dumenco in the latest issue of Details:

"Somewhere in the world, right this second, a little gay boy is making a plastic Zac Efron kiss another plastic Zac Efron. Bizarrely, the actor’s two biggest roles so far have both led to the same non-biodegradable immortality. The High School Musical 'Troy Bolton' doll version of Zac Efron was followed by its own doppelgänger: the Hairspray 'Link Larkin' doll version of Zac Efron...When I bring up notorious 'Queen of Mean' gossip blogger Perez Hilton, who is obsessed with insinuating that Efron—whom he’s nicknamed 'Zacquisha'—is gay, Efron’s response is almost surreally nice: 'I know it’s very addictive to read that kind of stuff. It’s entertainment. Perez has obviously struck a chord in the public eye. He’s doing something right. That deserves admiration—I think he does a great job. Um—' He pauses for a moment, then adds, 'Honestly, if the worst he can say about me is that I’m gay, then I think I’ll be fine. I can handle it.' Has he met Perez? 'No, I haven’t yet. But I look forward to it,' he says, laughing. 'I think it’ll be a fun conversation.' Efron’s soft-and-cuddly nice-guy veneer, it turns out, may actually be bulletproof armor."

Head over to Just Jared for a gallery of screenshots from the video interview, which I've posted AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Zac Efron and Elijah Kelley Make a Dapper Pair [tr]
Zac Efron "Collaboration" with Lil Wayne No More Than a Wet Dream [tr]

Comments

1. Right! Look here pezzie's, this pretty boy is Gay as a $3 bill. Not that there is anything wrong with that. My Grandaughter Maggie's Hubbie is gay, so is their son....Like who cares? He is a scrumptious little nibble thing this Zac.....I can lend him one of my Tiara's if I can pry it out of Di's hands......

Posted by: Mary, Really Late Dowager Queen of the British Empire, Ireland, Empress of India, etc..... | Jan 14, 2008 4:49:09 PM

2. Text book way for straight people to handle rumors that they are gay.

Right on!

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 14, 2008 5:07:12 PM

3. Hmmm. I think I'll have to reconsider Zac Efron as more than just fluff de jour. His response to mean-spirited blogging and speculation on his sexuality is mature and considerate. As much as I HATE to admit I'm wrong, I just might be in Zac's case-and I couldn't be more delighted.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Jan 14, 2008 5:09:03 PM

4. He looks so much better without all those highlights and makeup.

Posted by: stevo | Jan 14, 2008 5:17:46 PM

5. So, wait, he brings up Leonardo Dicaprio when asked who his first celebrity crush was, and we're expected to believe he's not gay? Right.

On to more important matter: My God, he looks good in that photoshoot. Best he's ever looked, hands down.

Posted by: The Other Jordan | Jan 14, 2008 5:32:57 PM

6. ah, he's so cute. i don't care whether he's gay/straight/bi.

Posted by: dave | Jan 14, 2008 5:48:03 PM

7. Perez is a horse's ass. Efron's response shows him to be totally cool. If he's gay and/or ever chooses to come out, great. If not, great. None of my business. Perez is a miserable, bitter queen. He's got to look at his hideous mug in the mirror everyday; I suppose that would make anyone hateful, which he most certainly is.

Posted by: mepaul | Jan 14, 2008 5:48:03 PM

8. Efron's response is totally classy. Perez is the tackiest thing ever.

Posted by: Stenar | Jan 14, 2008 6:46:04 PM

9. There is nothing, I repeat, nothing that Perez Hilton says that has any value. Don't glorify the worst element of the industry.

Zac's cute and sweet onscreen regardless of who he loves in real life.

Posted by: bryan | Jan 14, 2008 7:24:32 PM

10. He is SO cute. We would make the cutest boyfriends EVER!

Ok, so I really didn't read the post above (like I do most of 'em...way too many big words I don't get). Is he gay?

It so doesn't matter anyway...none of us r gonna get him...(but me and him together would be 2 cute 4 words!)

Posted by: Jordan | Jan 14, 2008 8:16:21 PM

11. Hey,

Zac Efron may be Gay, but if he's not, he's keen about it and I wish he was. Perez Hilton, however, *is* Gay and yet I wish he wasn't. Tacky and Mean are a different thing than funny, hunny...

Posted by: Wirrrn | Jan 14, 2008 10:25:59 PM

12. Perez Hilton is a flaming asshole.

Posted by: mike | Jan 15, 2008 5:40:28 AM

13. Perez Hilton is a flaming asshole.

Posted by: mike | Jan 15, 2008 5:41:27 AM

14. Gay or not.......He reminds me of a young John Stamos. Agree????

Posted by: Benjamin | Jan 16, 2008 1:15:47 AM

15. Zac Efron isn't gay, I don't think, but he is a fantastically talented young man, and a damn nice one.
    The BEST response by a straight actor thought to be gay came from Brendan Fraser, who said "I'm not gay, but I'm flattered that I may be thought to be so."
    For that, Brendan Fraser goes into the Straight But Not Narrow Hall of Fame.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Jan 19, 2008 2:34:17 PM

16. Can we take Perez Hilton's toaster away from him and send him to Butch Camp? I don't want that dumbass on my team.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Jan 19, 2008 2:37:07 PM

17. God so annoying....he is just a face, there isnt no talent. america loves praising talentless people and bloggers are doing a good job with this. older gay men checking out yng boys pics?...hmmm

Posted by: Bosie | Feb 22, 2008 1:24:19 PM

18. Very cool. My respect for zac efron just went through the roof.

Posted by: HALF1HEARTED2CRAZY | Feb 1, 2009 7:31:07 PM