Anderson Cooper | Celine Dion | Election 2008 | France | Hillary Clinton | Kathy Griffin | Keith Olbermann | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #217

NYE 2008: Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin ring in the new year from Times Square and a visit to Key West.

MEREDITH VIEIRA TAKES ON HILLARY: On a 01/02 Today show appearance, Meredith Vieira grills Clinton on her foreign policy experience.

KEITH OLBERMANN: Takes Rudy Giuliani to task for 9/11 fear-mongering.

CELINE DION: She and her legs opened France's Stars de l'Annee 2007 show.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here

Comments

1. Hillary was grilled? THAT was grilled?? If that was a grilling then she'll have a cake walk to the White House.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 2, 2008 4:43:57 PM

2. That Olbermann clip was devastating. If only more Democrats would man the fuck up like he does.

Damn, if I were a woman, I'd bear his children.

Posted by: BANJIBOI | Jan 2, 2008 4:55:29 PM

3. Kathy & Anderson were great together. They should work together more. I fricken love that guy. *sigh*

Posted by: secretagentman | Jan 2, 2008 5:26:10 PM

4. Well, I say we dispense with both parties and just elect Keith Olbermann to the presidency. He does seem to be the only one in America that is right! Isn't he? Just ask him and he will tell you. He has all the answers. More blah, blah, blah....I will be just as glad when he is off the air as I am when W is out of the Whitehouse! What a bag of hot air!!!

Posted by: RB | Jan 2, 2008 5:36:49 PM

5. Olbermann *is* right, RB.

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 2, 2008 5:46:39 PM

6. Kathy: "I gotta watch my figure. I'm not like you."
    Anderson: "Don't worry, I'm not watching your figure either."

Posted by: sparks | Jan 2, 2008 6:06:07 PM

7. Kathy: "I gotta watch my figure. I'm not like you."
    Anderson: "Don't worry, I'm not watching your figure either."

Posted by: sparks | Jan 2, 2008 6:06:39 PM

8. I can't wait until the other GOP's running for the nomination start to pick apart Mayor 9/11 after the Iowa and NH races this week. They are going to rip him apart so the dems will not have to worry next November.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 2, 2008 6:22:13 PM

9. Time will tell Peterparker, time will tell.

Posted by: RB | Jan 2, 2008 6:33:08 PM

10. A)Kathy and Andy Show should be a series, she brings out the best in him.
    B)Hillary works best under pressure.
    c) Keith is RIGHT (so there RB)
    D) I am no Celine fan but NICE Tina tribute!
    Keep it up Towleroad!

Posted by: mike | Jan 2, 2008 6:55:08 PM

11. RB: Time will indeed tell. I look forward to Olbermann's rants becoming part of our children's history lessons to teach them how to be brave and assured in standing up to all kinds of bullies.

That, and of course to ensure history does not repeat itself. The immoral and unethical people like the current resident of the White House need to learn that it is hard to keep secrets in this day and age...and that appropriate punishment will follow.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 2, 2008 7:01:11 PM

12. Anderson and Kathy were pretty hilarious. Definitely should be a yearly pairing.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 2, 2008 7:37:26 PM

13. Olbermann is very capable of pointing out what is wrong, as many are. However, does he have a alternative? Do you? If he is right, and I could argue that, then what? If you want to "bitch" for the mere sake of bitching then I have nothing for you. If you have a possible solution, and it appears that he does not, then shut the hell up!

I can listen to a well thought out argument and take in an opposing view provided one is able to give possible solutions. I do not have to agree with those solutions, but have some! Stop the bitching and come up with a solution! I am sick of both sides that only seem to point the finger and yet neither of them are right! However, let Keith open his mouth and the flood of followers step up to agree.

Well, I am not among them. Provide real solutions to real problems or shut the hell up! I cannot stand anyone that bitches and complains for the sole purpose of hearing themselves. Blah, blah, blah!!!! That is all I hear.

Posted by: RB | Jan 2, 2008 7:50:56 PM

14. RB- Take a pill.

Olberman read Giuliani to filth and it's about time. The oft-quoted Roosevelt quote is SO apt for our time. Especially the second half, which usually gets dropped: "...and those who would exploit our fear, for power and for their own personal, selfish, cynical gain"

Posted by: dc10001 | Jan 2, 2008 11:49:16 PM

15. RB, you seem to misunderstand both the role of the press is a free society and definition of the word commentary. Keith's job is to both present the news of the day and verify the truthfulness of what public individuals present as fact. If he finds they are not being truthful he calls them on it. Republicans and Democrats. According to Merriam-Webster, a commentary is, “systematic series of explanations or interpretations…” or “something that serves for illustration or explanation.”

In the course of his show he regularly examines the pros and cons of events and issues as well as options for dealing with them, supported by substantive research and various experts in a variety of fields. Sometimes, he also feels the need to devote time to making a special comment about an issue. None of this is any different than what you would get from the staff any major newspaper.

Keith's job is not to provide solutions. That's the job of the people running for or already in office. His job is also not to simply regurgitate the day's events. If you want that watch Headline News or your local news.

It just so happens that since we have a Republican in the White House, that party is naturally going to get more scrutiny. It's a fact of political life. Still, Keith has called out the Dems for backing down on bills and votes numerous times.

That being said, the current president and his party have gotten A LOT wrong and as a result, people have died for their mistakes. It would be irresponsible to not point out misstatements of fact and outright lies, particularly when people are preparing to vote.

Posted by: James C | Jan 3, 2008 11:02:17 AM

16. So, can we say that Anderson Cooper just came out in that clip? First Jodie Foster sort of talks as if she's already out and now Anderson. So, let's just say it: Anderson Cooper is gay. There. It's over.

Posted by: sam | Jan 3, 2008 3:27:52 PM

17. James C, it is irresponsible to qoute Websters. Just an FYI...it is something that you NEVER do!

Thanks for you opinion.

Take care

Posted by: RB | Jan 3, 2008 9:45:41 PM

18. RB,

JAMES C is correct. olbermann is doing what only one other journalist (helen thomas) has tried to do -- expose the current administration and other repugs for the immoral, dangerous liars that they are. it is not for reporters and political commentators to solve the nation's ills. they are not elected officials.

btw, you've been doing a lot of spouting off here. what problem are you offering a solution to? it seems that YOU are only bitching and blah, blah, blahing.

answer at least this: why is it "irresponsible" to quote webster's, or any other established dictionary?

Posted by: nic | Jan 5, 2008 4:52:20 PM

19. Hmmm ... looking for a transcript of the Olbermann Special Comment on MSNBC, to e-mail to others ... why can't I find it among the recent stuff?

Because it's NOT recent. It's from April 2007.

Posted by: Johnny L. | Jan 5, 2008 11:52:43 PM