Brady Quinn | Crime | Football (American) | Gay Slurs | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Brady Quinn in Alleged Anti-Gay New Years Eve Incident

Cleveland Browns QB Brady Quinn reportedly used the word "faggot" toward a man leaving Columbus gay spot Union Cafe Bar + Food on New Year's Eve. Quinn was among a group of perhaps 10 people outside La Fogata Grill, a Mexican restaurant adjacent to the gay bar, but according to a 911 caller from the scene, used the slur as tensions rose between patrons of the establishments.

Brady_quinnThe Cleveland Plain Dealer reports: The call at 2:35 a.m. came from Seth Harris, who reported that he encountered the group in front of La Fogata Grill at 790 North High St...On the 9-1-1 call, Harris said that 'Brady Quinn from the Browns' was 'trying to cause a fight.' Harris told the operator, 'I just walked outside and he exchanged many profanities with me and called me a faggot, of course.' Reached Monday by The Plain Dealer, Harris confirmed that Quinn was the person who used the slur. 'I knew who it was,' he said. 'It wasn't just directed at me, there were other people around, too.' He said Quinn was with a 'big group' of friends numbering perhaps 10, and that the quarterback 'wasn't as involved as' others were in stirring up trouble. 'He was standing back and letting his friends do most of it,' Harris said. On the call, Harris told police that 'this has been going on all night and nobody has stopped anything.'"

The paper has a recording of the 911 call from that night.

The paper adds: "On the 9-1-1 call, Harris told police that he feared for his safety. 'I'm not going to wait for police because it's going to turn ugly,' Harris said. 'They are being very violent and I probably should get away.' A Columbus police spokeswoman said officers arrived several minutes after Harris' call and found Quinn in the midst of an argument with 32-year-old Jason Thompson. 'I don't believe there were any punches being thrown -- it was more verbal than anything,' said Columbus police spokeswoman Amanda Ford. 'When we got there, he was very cooperative and just stopped,' Ford said of Quinn's encounter with police. 'I think his friends were like, 'Let's get out of here.' However, police arrested Thompson when "he wouldn't back down and turned on officers," Ford said."

Gloria McCauley, executive director of the Buckeye Region Anti-Violence Organization, called the Quinn slur "very distressing" according to the paper. Said McCauley: "That person is in theory a role model for so many people. To have one of our well-known people engage in behavior that I consider hateful saddens me. We obviously need to do a lot more education."

The Browns have made no comment on the incident. We'll see what comes of this.

Comments

1. Gotta love the irony of a wealthy, handsome, superstar football player not being able to find anything better to do on New Years Eve than get drunk with his football buddies and harass gays.

Posted by: Rick | Feb 13, 2008 5:04:03 PM

2. Innocent until proven guilty. I've seen one too many press hit jobs to actually buy that this happened. (Heck, I've been on the receiving end of them).

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 13, 2008 8:10:36 PM

3. Zeke, I hope you don't take offense to this for that is not my intention but, I think you missed Shabaka's point. When Tim Hardaway (Black basketball player)opened his mouth and erased any doubt in the possibility that he is dumb as a bag of beads, the response to his on-air homophobic rant in the comments section of many blogs like this was not just sarcasm but also TONS of racial slurs. On the other hand, with this incident, while many have been sarcastic, there are also those who have questioned whether or not the police should have been called and one person even questioned the validity of the accusations. I don't think it was race bating but simply stating the fact that there can be, AT TIMES, double standards.

Moving on. From my experience, men who are certain about their heterosexuality and comfortable in their own skin tend not to engage in these sort of homophobic attacks. Perhaps Brady has something he's trying to hide.

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 14, 2008 2:04:52 AM

4. Brady's mouth looks perfect for doing more then just saying naughty things to gay boys.

Posted by: Ron | Feb 14, 2008 9:06:05 AM

5. In response to Ron:

copy and paste.

Posted by: phil | Feb 16, 2008 7:24:43 PM

6. I saw this fight! I had no clue at the time who was involved, and am only now making the connections. I just happened to be in Columbus that night for New Years with some friends who lived there. We were riding down that street in that area, and I saw a girl in a black dress puking her guts out on the sidewalk while the guy she was with completely ignored her.

One block later, I saw a huge fight on a 2nd-story terrace of a bar, two guys were being held apart by a dozen people. Same street, same area, same hour (around 2:00am) as reported in the news. It had to be it!

Oh, and a couple blocks later, I saw a woman chasing after her New Years hat down the middle of the road as cars swerved out of the way.

Posted by: Brian | Feb 18, 2008 3:48:12 PM