Advertising | Barack Obama | Election 2008 | News | Ohio | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

First Look: Obama's Targeted Texas and Ohio Gay Ad Buy

Obama_lgbt_ad1

Earlier today the Advocate reported that the Obama campaign was doing targeted ad buys in Ohio and Texas in advance of the primaries there on March 4th. According to the Advocate, "Full page ads will appear starting this Friday in Outlook Weekly of Columbus, the Gay People's Chronicle of Cleveland, the Dallas Voice, and OutSmart, which is Houston based."

They report: "[Obama LGBT steering committee member Eric] Stern called the coordinated buy 'the icing on the cake' in terms of the Obama camp's outreach to the gay community in Ohio and Texas. 'It's a direct appeal to LGBT voters asking for their support,' he said, adding that the ad includes information about how people can get involved with the campaign. The Obama campaign has actively been trying to cut into the longstanding ties between gays and lesbians and Hillary Clinton."

Towleroad has obtained a "generic" version of the ad which you can see AFTER THE JUMP...

Obama_lgbt_ad_2

The Ohio and Texas versions, according to Stern, "include specific information on voting in those states and how to get involved with the campaign locally." Stampp Corbin, the Co-Chair of the National LGBT Leadership Council, was the catalyst behind making these ads happen as a part of their efforts to mobilize and energize LGBT voters in Ohio & Texas.

Comments

1. The 2nd image doesn't show up for me.

Posted by: Alan | Feb 27, 2008 7:54:23 PM

2. Sorry, I just don't buy the idea that Obama is such a great friend to the gay community.

Posted by: no deal no vote | Feb 27, 2008 7:56:12 PM

3. Carping from Hillary supporters in 5.. 4.. 3..

Posted by: Dan | Feb 27, 2008 8:10:02 PM

4. If he’s so sincere about treating us with “dignity and respect,” then:

1. why did he throw us under the homohating bus being driven by Donnie McClurkin and pay for the gas? Honk if you love Jesus er Obama! So much for “dignity and respect.”

2. why did he misrepresent his continuing SUPPORT FOR a state’s right to ban same gender relationships by any name? So much for “dignity and respect.”

3. why did he MISREPRESENT the legal irrelevance of DOMA Section 2 which eliminating—according to his own Constitutional law professor—would not help gays at the state level in any functional way? So much for “dignity and respect.”

4. why was he apparently TOO BUSY running for US Senate to join as a sponsor of and fight for the LGBT rights bill in Illinois? So much for “dignity and respect.”

5. why has he LIED repeatedly [LOGO forum; “Meet the Press”; “The Advocate”] and said he had cosponsored that LGBT rights bill AND “passed” it when HE WASN’T EVEN STILL IN THE ILLINOIS SENATE when it was voted on? So much for “dignity and respect.”

6. why was he unable to convince his homohating close friend, the Rev. & Sen. James Meeks, to vote for that LGBT rights bill? Did he even try? So much for “dignity and respect.”

7. why does he want to ask the Pentagon about repealing DADT? What does he THINK they’ll say? So much for “dignity and respect.”

8. why does he only want to increase AIDS funding by five billion dollars while Sen. Clinton wants to increase it by at least TWENTY billion dollars? So much for “dignity and respect.”

9. why in his entire 64-page “Blueprint for CHANGE-Barack OBAMA’S PLAN for America” can no one find one sentence, one word, one syllable about ANY LGBT-related issue? So much for “dignity and respect.”

10. while most candidates agreed that “marriage equality” was a dog that would not hunt in this election, why is Obama the ONLY candidate to LECTURE US about how happy WE should be with HIS definition of “full equality.” If they’re so good, so equal, Sen. Obama, would YOU trade YOUR MARRIAGE for our civil union? So much for “dignity and respect.”

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Feb 27, 2008 8:26:07 PM

5. Frankly, I'm tired of the words without commitment. Hillary has already said she would fight to overturn DADT in her first term and push Congress to eliminate DOMA. Granted, they are both civil union supporters (determined at state level), but Hillary is the only one that said she would support gay marriage equality in her home state of NY if NY decided to make it legal. Obama not only never fought for LGBT legislation while a senator in Illinois he has also made no such claims of support.

In fact, LOGO has on occasion inquired about LGBT issues and Clinton has been the only one to consistently respond.

I know many gays who support Obama and that's fine, but when it comes to who has been a bigger supporter of our community, hands down it's Clinton.

While I don't think Obama will do anything negative as President to our community, I certainly haven't seen him offer any change in that department.

Posted by: BANNE | Feb 27, 2008 8:34:48 PM

6. Obviously part of a vast gay conspiracy designed to coddle Obama and victimize Clinton. How could these publications print this? No doubt the were paid by the Obama campaign.

Shame on you gay America!

Posted by: audiored | Feb 27, 2008 8:38:48 PM

7. What other Presidential Candidate of such caliber as Sen. Obama ever placed such ads? If people want to beat up on him, go ahead. He will be the nominee and then good luck with John McCain and his crowd. I'm sure they will all ask for the GLBT vote too.
    Peace.

Posted by: Human | Feb 27, 2008 8:40:20 PM

8. I agree with this comment - "1. why did he throw us under the homohating bus being driven by Donnie McClurkin and pay for the gas? Honk if you love Jesus er Obama!"

Again, there are speeches and actions. Clinton acts while Obama just talks a good talk.

Actions speak louder than words.

Posted by: Missy | Feb 27, 2008 8:41:10 PM

9. Okay, so by about this time on Tuesday Hillary will have lost Texas and thus burned through her last primary firewall. By Thursday evening the Democratic powers that be will force her to formally suspend what's left of her campaign.

Time to start the Towleroad pool to guess the date and location of the Democratic unity rally where Hill will swallow her pride, take Barack's hand in her own, hold them both high, and pledge to work to defeat McCrazy in November.

When and where do you think the unity rally will be? Saturday 3/8 in Toledo? Monday 3/10 in Kansas City? Or maybe the Ides of March in Denver?

Place your bets, ladies.

Posted by: 24play | Feb 27, 2008 9:09:32 PM

10. Bedwell at it again I see,

For those who might still have an open mind, a couple of opposing thoughts (and from someone not on any campaign).
    1. Clinton's giant policy paper (her version of Obama's Blue Print) also does not include one word about LGBT. Shame on you for being so one sided.

2. Clinton's website also does not say one word about LGBT issues or people unless you know the special URL or have a link. Everyone, look at her campaign site and try and find it, it isn't there. Only those deemed worthy (i.e. with the link or URL) can get to the LGBT page. Why? so as not to offend other possible voters? Doesn't look like she is too committed to us if she can't even do it publicly on her website. Obama's positions and views on LGBT issues are easily found from his homepage.

3. Clinton doesn't want to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell because it is discriminatory or wrong. She wants to repeal it to make sure the armed forces have more people especially those with skills. THis is clear on her LGBT page (the one you can't get to without the URL). That URL is: hillaryclinton.com/feature/lgbt. Obama wants to repeal it because it is wrong and unequal, see his position off of his home page (people and LGBT), it is the issues pdf on the page.

4. Clinton position on LGBT Marriage is: "Supports civil unions
    Hillary will work to ensure that all Americans in committed relationships have equal benefits -- from health insurance to life insurance, property rights, and more." Notice it doesn't say anything about rights equivalent to marriage, just vague equal rights. Obama (while not calling it marriage, which I wish he would support) goes much further, saying on his issues, "Barack Obama supports full civil unions that give same-sex couples equal legal rights and privileges as married couples....Obama also believes we need to fully repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and enact legislation that would ensure that the 1,100+ federal
    legal rights and benefits currently provided on the basis of marital status are extended to same-sex
    couples in civil unions and other legally-recognized unions." He keeps referring to giving us the same rights as married couples. I wish he would just give us marriage (which he is trying to do, all but in name, but I want the name), but he is equating all of the rights and benefits of marriage, he is being specific (the more than 1,100+ rights), not ambiguous like Clinton, who leaves herself a lot of wiggle room. Who is more for our rights?

5. Obama consistently talks about LGBT equality in his speeches (his stump speech, the MLK church speech, the Kennedy endorsement speech, even his democratic convention kick-off speech in 2004). We are part of his coalition and included. When has Clinton ever talked about LGBT in her speeches except when she is talking "to us" specifically or looking for our funding? Who is hiding us versus really talking about us. I don't want to be in Clinton's closet (i am not in my own, why should I accept her keeping me hidden or accept that it is okay for her LGBT support to be "on the down low").

6. I was also very annoyed at the McClurkin mess, but when I start to see all of the gay haters that are on Clinton's payroll (actually getting paid for their views, McClurkin wasn't) and balance that against how Clinton has chosen to support us (or not), I concluded that Obama is a better bet.

7. Finally, Clinton's experience included 8 years as First Lady with Bill. Bill enacted Don't Ask Don't Tell when he had a Democratic Congress. He enacted the Defense of Marriage Act (and then campaigned on his support of it in the South). Hillary learned from him, she knows that LGBT will vote Democratic, so she can count on us and we won't go elsewhere (she learned this from Bill, it is part of her "experience"). Sorry, but I don't want to be fooled again (second time would be shame on me).

Everyone, just think about who is best in their positions and and is not afraid to be accountable for them (i.e. they are public and more inclusive).
    Thanks.
    Matt. .

Posted by: Matt R | Feb 27, 2008 9:12:45 PM

11. If he's the messiah, all his supporters should all start wearing their flowing robes. Hillary '08

Posted by: z | Feb 27, 2008 9:13:36 PM

12. Guess everybody missed this piece Senator Clinton posted on

Posted by: darlamc | Feb 27, 2008 9:13:39 PM

13. Heh ... I wonder how old many people are here. I remember the first Clinton administration. They were the least transparent and one of the most corrupt administrations on record. Second only to George W. If you really think that Hillary will run her administration any differently than her husband you are truly delusional.

And once she is in office - to once again use an overused phrase - GLBT will be the first group she throws under the bus.

Posted by: yoshi | Feb 27, 2008 9:19:55 PM

14. No, Darla, dear. Regular readers of Towleroad knew about Hill's Super Tuesday Eve LGBT-themed blog posting almost as soon as it happened, because Andy wrote about it that same night:

I guess Hillary'd be taking out ads in gay papers in TX and OH this week too—if her campaign could afford it.

Posted by: 24play | Feb 27, 2008 9:41:27 PM

15. MATT R, Hear hear!

I have become an Obama supporter more due to what Hillary has and hasn't said than because of what Obama says or how he says it.

Hillary's final interview on LOGO was the final straw that turned me, and a number of other gay people I know, off of her.

Posted by: Zeke | Feb 27, 2008 10:07:11 PM

16. From the LOGO Democratic Presidential Forum transcript:

MR. CAPEHART: So you're one of just two candidates who fully supports same-sex marriage. Why do you think that is?

REP. KUCINICH: Well, I can tell you from my own experience. I mean, this is really a question of whether you really believe in
    equality. I mean I see the "equal" sign there, and I have that same sign in my office in Washington, D.C. And imagine that "equal" sign inside a heart. Because what we're really talking about here is human love. And there's no power on this Earth greater than human love.

And when you understand what real equality is, you understand that people who love each other must have the opportunity to be able to express that in a way that is meaningful, and that the state should not be intervening against people, the state should be there on behalf of people, to make sure that that love has a chance to be facilitated.

So to me, this isn't even a close question.

MR. CAPEHART: So, Congressman, what you're saying is that Senator Obama and Senator Edwards, and who sat here just moments ago both espousing equality -- they're for equality, they're for all these things you just talked about.

So are you saying that they don't truly oppose same sex marriage, that they're just playing politics?

REP. KUCINICH: I'm saying that I stand for real equality and that I believe -- (interrupted by cheers, applause). And this is really part of an American tradition because when you look at the founding documents, the idea of "all being created equal," "we hold these truths to be self-evident," that all are created equal endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights, to me this is a foundational principle of who we are as a country.

So because I believe in that and because I live it, to me it's very easy to be here to take a stand for that principle. It would be very easy for me as president of the United States to issue executive orders that will require all federal contractors, anyone who's doing business with the federal government any way, every federal agency to have to follow the principles that are written in ENDA and to -- let the federal government be the agent of change that it should be, and then to lead the way as president of the United States in bringing about the kind of unity that shows that real unity is to respect each other's inner equality and real unity is to respect the power of human love.

The greatest commandment is love, and I think that if someone embodies that and lives it, then things change in a country. That's -- love has that transformative power, and that's what I have always tried to bring in to public forums, and that's what I'll bring into White House as well.

* * * * *

Obama can shove his ad up McClurkin's colon.

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Feb 27, 2008 10:09:40 PM

17. OK, this is my complete political ignorance talking, and I'm ashamed to even ask this question because I feel like it's something I should know - but once you all answer/criticize/attack me I will surely know it :)

So, it is my understanding that at least on the federal level, both Obama and Clinton do not support gay marriage under the frame that marriage is a male/female thing, bla bla etc., but that they both support full civil unions under the law, bla bla etc. However civil unions do not carry the same legal weight as marriages when it comes to so many legal and personal issues (at least for now - if they were a nationwide thing I imagine the rules would change some).

Isn't that kind of the same thing as the whole "Separate but equal" racial segregation of schooling that America had in the early 20th century? Cause it sure as heck seems like it to me. So why would these candidates be basically openly saying that we don't want everyone to have the same rights? No one likes that - the anti-gays don't like the fact that gay couples get rights, and the pro-gays don't like the fact that the rights are equal.

Sorry if I'm not doing a good job explaining myself.. I am trying to figure everything out

Posted by: Harrison | Feb 27, 2008 10:09:47 PM

18. I applaud Obama for reaching out to the LGBT community. He is going to be a wonderful next president of this country.

Posted by: Roger Newcomb | Feb 27, 2008 10:12:42 PM

19. icing on the cake? more like a rancid scrap if you ask me. jim crow is alive and well in barak's world.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Feb 27, 2008 10:51:31 PM

20. As glad as I am that Obama is reaching out to LGBT voters, even going as far as to DENOUNCE ( :P ) people who use the gay community for political gain at the rally I attended, its still disappointing that neither he nor Sen Clinton fully support full rights for our community. Its time to Change the belief that civil unions is equal to marriage.

Now with that out the way, I can say that I think Obama just might win Texas. I went to the bars/clubs for a friend's birthday party and everywhere I turned, someone had an Obama-rainbow sticker on. I saw no Hillary Clinton stickers. I heard that the Clinton campaign was falling apart but when Clinton's gay support ebbing away, you know somethings going on.

Posted by: astonedtemple | Feb 27, 2008 10:59:08 PM

21. If you think Obama’s a snake in the grass, and he is, check out http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/327692.aspx. where she gives a lengthy interview to Pat Robertson’s Christian Broadcasting Network.

There you'll see why Hillary Clinton is reviled as a Dixiecrat in a right centrist party. Like Obama, she’s bitterly opposed to same sex marriage. She and her party are responsible for DOMA and DADT and refuse to repeal them. Not by chance did her campaign manager Barney Frank accept the task of gutting ENDA and then tossing both it and the Matthew Sheppard Hate Crimes Bill into the toilet. Democrats did it so Republicans couldn’t claim that Democrats are GLBT friendly. As if.

Hillary Clinton, like Obama is a union buster and a long time supporter of NAFTA, exporting jobs, tax cuts for the rich matched by cuts in welfare, Medicare and unemployment insurance. She lying about that now but her social and economic program was set in stone when she spent six years on the board of director of Wal-Mart whose real slogan is “Always Low Wages”.

Hillary Clinton, along with other right wing centrists like Joe Lieberman, is an ardent supporter of Bush’s oil piracy and supporter of the zionist apartheid state. Their cruel treatment of Palestinians has been exposed by South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the most senior anglocatholic supporter of GLBT equality knows a thing or two about life in an apartheid state. Billery adamantly supports Bushes plan to extend the war to Iran by using nukes ‘if necessary’. Billery and Obama plan on keeping troops there through 2013.

If you looked at the video link above you see Billary Clinton as she really is. As outrageous as Obama is getting in bed with swine like Donnie McKulkin and Mary Mary , Billery Clinton goes way beyond him trawling for the votes of the senile bigots who dote on Pat Robertson, the bible fascist. She appeared on Pat Robertson’s CBN network to explain her deep commitment to ‘christian values’ like opposition to samesex marriage and to take a few cheap shots at Ralph Nader, a indisputable American hero. She bitterly explained that Nader is just a tool of the Republicans, the same slander she uses against Edwards, Obama and anyone else reckless enough to get in her way. Earlier Pat Robertson expressed his deep admiration for Billary and congratulated her for ‘tacking to the right” as hard and as fast as she could.

The only people who could admire her or Obama are the terminally naive, other Dixiecrats, hacks for the right centrist Democrats and the occasional Frisco ambulance chaser.

Posted by: Bill Perdue, RainbowRED | Feb 27, 2008 11:00:32 PM

22. Obama sponsored bills while in the Illinois senate that dealt with job and housing discrimination against GLBT people. I know it's not as flashy as marching in a gay pride parade like Hillary did, but I think his actions were a little more important.

Posted by: Cadence | Feb 27, 2008 11:09:19 PM

23. Banne and other Clinton supporters, can you tell me if DOMA and DADT have been so important to Hillary, why didn't she try to do something about them during the last six years. The fact is that both will have to be repealed by the legislature, and Hillary had ample opportunity to take a stand during her first term in the senate, but she didn't.

Posted by: Cadence | Feb 27, 2008 11:14:38 PM

24. Okay, the reason why is GEORGE BUSH. It's called VETO. What has Obama done to rectify those issues?

BANNE

Posted by: BANNE | Feb 27, 2008 11:18:51 PM

25. The current issue of Outlook Weekly (Columbus, OH) has been posted online. The ad is on the back cover (full-page, full-color - not a cheap ad buy).

Posted by: Rob | Feb 27, 2008 11:19:38 PM