Democratic Party | Election 2008 | John McCain | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Fox News Labels John McCain a Democrat

Mccaindemocrat

Is John McCain too liberal for the GOP? FOX News is already declaring him a Democrat.

In related news, McCain was booed by some conservatives at CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference) in Washington DC when he spoke about illegal immigration.

Yesterday, Politico reported that CPAC was asking conference attendees not to boo McCain when he spoke.

Focus on the Family leader James Dobson yesterday endorsed Mike Huckabee.

The AP reports: "In a statement first obtained by The Associated Press, Dobson reiterated his declaration on Super Tuesday that he could not in good conscience vote for John McCain, the front-runner, because of concerns over the Arizona senator's conservative credentials. Dobson said given the situation at that point, he was reluctant to choose between ''two pro-family candidates whom I could support' — Huckabee and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. But Dobson wrote that Romney's announcement Thursday that he was suspending his campaign 'changed the political landscape.'

Said Dobson: "The remaining candidate for whom I could vote is Governor Huckabee. His unwavering positions on the social issues, notably the institution of marriage, the importance of faith and the sanctity of human life, resonate deeply with me and with many others ... Obviously, the governor faces an uphill struggle, given the delegates already committed to Senator McCain. Nevertheless, I believe he is our best remaining choice for president of the United States."

And of course, if she's true to her word, Ann Coulter will now be campaigning for Hillary Clinton.

(top screenshot via crooks and liars)

Comments

1. I read that the ones who booed him were "under 30," the same twits who love Ann Coulter so much.

The only thing worse than a conservative is a young conservative.

Posted by: Miles | Feb 8, 2008 9:33:43 AM

2. If the Fox News people don't like McCain, they can always vote for Obama or Clinton.

Posted by: Jack | Feb 8, 2008 9:34:44 AM

3. I love watching Dobson, Coulter and their flying monkeys sink into irrelevance. The more they preach the evils of a McCain candidacy, the more Republicans vote for him. Are people finally realizing that the fat emperor and skinny empress have no clothes?

Posted by: sam | Feb 8, 2008 10:06:23 AM

4. Andy, how do you find this stuff, this is too funny! I have Fox Noise blocked on my tv, so, your updates are great, straight to the point, no pun, and, without having to hear the bigots they have in front of the cameras.

But, somehow, I think this is all part of Allies and Murdoch's master plan to get the "maverick" into the White House.

Posted by: Sebastian | Feb 8, 2008 10:08:50 AM

5. Sebastian: tha's exactly it. The right wing conspiracy is trying to sell McCain to Democrats. So dirty.

Posted by: Landis | Feb 8, 2008 10:14:40 AM

6. Didn't they pull the same crap with Mark Foley (R-Florida)? I recall last year that Faux News falsely reported him as a Democrat in more than three separate instances. I can not believe anyone takes them seriously, what a joke!

Posted by: Cory | Feb 8, 2008 10:26:05 AM

7. You're so right, Landis, but it may work. Conservatives don't like McCain, but they will settle for him and a right-wing running mate (they would prefer someone young, but Romney or Huckabee would do). Too many moderate Democrats & Independents like him, and might vote for him. Hell, I even like him for standing up to the ultra right-wing religious nuts in his party (well, he did it in the past, now he courts them). My only hope is that he concedes so much to the ultra right-wing Republicans that he makes it impossible for many Independents & moderate Democrats to vote for him. If he remains the "honorable old war hero"...well, we Democrats are in big some big shit.

What's a moderate Democrat? Bloomberg, of course! He's never been comfortable calling himself a Republican. He needs to bring all that available cash home to his real party.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 8, 2008 10:48:05 AM

8. The only people that trust Fox Newz are idiots and Hasselbecks.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Feb 8, 2008 10:48:47 AM

9. Fox News seems to have unusual difficulties distinguishing between R and D. Perhaps someone should review the alphabet with them? Tho I'm guessing the Freudian slips aren't quite accidental.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 8, 2008 10:54:13 AM

10. I might have been wrong in assuming that the Democrats will be the first party to shatter as a rsult of the 2008 elections. The Republicans might beat them to it.

Posted by: Bill Perdue, RainbowRED | Feb 8, 2008 11:34:18 AM

11. Yeah, they've done it with more than Mark Foley and John McCain. I think a while back there was an African American congressman in some scandal and oddly enough, he was a Republican. However, Faux News reported that he was a Democrat.

Posted by: Carrie B | Feb 8, 2008 11:56:20 AM

12. I won't vote for him, but John McCain is still 1,000x better than George W. Bush.

That respect goes out the window, however, if he chooses Huckabee for a running mate. Imagine having that freak a frail 72 year old heartbeat away from the presidency.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 8, 2008 12:12:24 PM

13. John McCain is dangerous, and Democrats should not underestimate his crossover appeal.

Unlike George W. Bush - who couldn't be bothered to visit San Francisco and Los Angeles in eight years (he always lands at LAX/SFO and then sulks off to conservative suburbs) - McCain came to the heart of liberal San Francisco and declared he was going to fight for their votes:

“If I am the nominee of the party, I will put California in play and compete for it, including the Bay Area. I have addressed many issues and have taken positions that I think people in the Bay Area agree with, especially climate change”

Even if you don't agree with the man's politics, you gotta give him props for boldness.

Posted by: John | Feb 8, 2008 12:19:11 PM

14. Ann Coulter's "adams apple" is bigger than mine. She's looking more gaunt and more goth every time I see her. James Dobson ought to be a little more circumspect. There's some quiet rattlings going on in his closet. As for McCain? Well, I'm not an ageist or anything, but he's older than Reagan was when Reagan got the presidency. But McCain's got balls. Never forget he was one of the first Republicans to tear into Rumsfeld, Cheney and Bush over the Iraq War. He has held a very principled position on the issue of undocumented immigrants. But, McCain--like every other Republican (including the self-deluding Log Cabin Republicans)--still doesn't "get it" when it comes to gay and lesbian people. Sorry, John, but my humanity and my rights as a U.S. citizen just aren't up for negotiation any more.

Posted by: mike | Feb 8, 2008 1:09:49 PM

15. Mike, when people like yourself refer to Ann Coulter as a man or make jokes about it, you're just insulting the trans community. Fighting hate with more hate seems fairly counterproductive...

Posted by: Rodger | Feb 8, 2008 1:37:23 PM

16. Rodger:

I think Coulter's anti-gay & anti-trans public attitudes are the reason why some folks "read" her for her lack of feminine "perfection" or feminine "realness". Some transwomen may even make the same type of joke against Coulter because of her anti-trans bigotry--you know, "the bitch is biological, but I look more woman than she does." I don't think Mike meant to insult transfolk.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 8, 2008 1:57:43 PM

17. He's come out more against torture than HRC, whom, one suspects, isn't so against it if it could be harnessed for political purposes.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Feb 8, 2008 2:12:51 PM

18. Dobson, like the other shoot from the lip bigots have helped McCain in this primary season. Everytime they open their mouths, normal, everyday Republicans run out to vote for McCain.

To show you how full of crap Dobson is.....McCain is 100% pro-life voting record in his career. What Dobson hates is that McCain refused to vote for that Defense of Marriage Act. McCain has said, marriage, gay or otherwise is a state issue, not a Federal issue.....those right wing bigots hate to hear that.

Posted by: Joshua | Feb 9, 2008 1:07:33 AM

19. It is a delight to see the right-wing freak show get disenfranchised (and they are genuinely pissed about their withering influence...it's not some double-back trick to get McCain elected).

I know it's scary that McCain may get elected by Independents, but you've got to be intellectually honest about who he is and how the majority of this country thinks...it's evolving, but slowly.

Posted by: GREENPOINTGUY | Feb 10, 2008 10:57:01 PM