AIDS/HIV | Elton John | Episcopal Church | Film | Hugh Jackman | Iran | Ken Hutcherson | London | Miami | Ne-Yo | New York | News | Scissor Sisters

News; Jane Russell, Episcopals, Scott Heim, Heathrow, Paul Burrell

road.jpg Iran's 'cure' for homosexuality: financial assistance for a sex change operation. Cleric: "Islam has a cure for people suffering from this problem. If they want to change their gender, the path is open."

Janerussellroad.jpg Jane Russell shows Hollywood how a real movie star works Oscar's red carpet.

road.jpg Singer-songwriter Ne-Yo may not be gay, but he is fast.

road.jpg Elton John talks to CBS about his AIDS Foundation and recent reports that cases among young gay men are on the rise: "We are facing an uphill battle again in countries that you thought you'd crossed, you'd done that, you've covered that territory. Because people think, 'Well, you know, even if I do get HIV, I'm going to be OK.' They don't realize the toxicity of the drugs they have to take. And I just think it's so reprehensible, with the information available to them. But they do it and so we have to help them."

road.jpg Da-Tah: a Scissor Sisters mash-up album, free for download. (via arjan writes)

road.jpg Gay couple told to cool the PDA at swank New York restaurant Cipriani? "A gay editor was dining with another young man recently when a Cipriani staffer asked the duo to turn and face the bar. The waiter conveyed to them that Cipriani is a 'family restaurant' and they might offend other diners. The restaurant contends their actions were less gay bashing and more preserving the sanctity of fine dining from what one witness called 'blatant crotch-grabbing.' 'There was an unfortunate incident a few weeks ago where two individuals were acting inappropriately in a sexual manner at the bar of an upscale restaurant. It should go without saying that this behavior is completely unacceptable for anyone, regardless of sexual orientation,' a spokesman for the restaurant asserts."

Spiritroad.jpg That other awards show, The Independent Spirit Awards, was a touch less formal than the Oscars.

road.jpg The Miami Herald talks to Gay American Heroes project founder Scott Hall.

road.jpg Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams backing secret plans to create "parallel" church for American conservatives defecting over the church's gay policy: "According to insiders, Dr Williams has given his blessing to the plans to create an enclave for up to 20 conservative American bishops that would insulate them from their liberal colleagues. The scheme would allow them to remain technically within the Episcopal Church but under the care of like-minded archbishops from abroad. The Primate of the West Indies, Archbishop Drexel Gomez, a moderate conservative, has agreed to participate, and other primates could be recruited. However, the initiative is likely to infuriate liberal leaders of the Episcopal Church, who will see it as an attempt to undermine their authority and interfere in their affairs."

road.jpg Pastor Ken Hutcherson's hate sermon: "If I was in a drugstore and some guy opened the door for me, I’d rip his arm off and beat him with the wet end."

Jackmanroad.jpg Wolverine shows off his washboard abs.

road.jpg AfterElton talks to Michael K. Williams about Omar and the developments surrounding his character on last night's episode of The Wire [SPOILERS].

road.jpg Novelist Scott Heim talks to the Boston Globe about his new book We Disappear and his escape from crystal meth addiction: "The drug didn't do anything for me anymore. It was just keeping me alive. It wasn't about pleasure; it was just obliterating the sadness. You don't write when you're on drugs because the last thing you want is to be alone. Crystal meth was erasing me, and the deeper I got I saw only three outcomes: death, prison, or recovery."

road.jpg First look inside London Heathrow Airport's new Terminal 5.

road.jpg Brit tabloid News of the World charges Diana butler Paul Burrell of leading 'secret gay life': "Paul IS a greedy liar, a devious snake. He's also ruthless and selfish. He's always made out that he's this happily-married family man when in reality he's gay and only interested in sex with men. He told me he hadn't slept with Maria for years. He's constantly on the lookout for gay pick-ups all over the world. And he shamelessly uses his back catalogue of Diana stories to hook his targets. He tells them all sorts about her to get them in the sack. His taste is for pretty, younger guys. He'll brag about his wealth and royal connections. There are plenty out there who fall for it."

Comments

1. With regard to the Cipriani bit about the gay PDA. As resident DJ at Stanton Social in NYC, security regularly approaches couples,, regardless of gender mix about the unbelievable level to which they will PDA.

We have had full horizontal in the lounge on a regular basis and on the bar. It has nothing to do with gay/straight. It has to do with other people trying to enjoy their french onion soup dumplings. Get a room.

Posted by: Br!on | Feb 25, 2008 3:09:14 PM

2. THe link to the Jane Russell story opens Dainel Radcliff's lip-lock.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Feb 25, 2008 3:16:23 PM

3. First, Hugh Jack-me-off-man is simply stunning! And why oh why can't he let the shorts slide and give us a peak at that blue speedo??

Second, um, Jane Russell?? Baby Jane called and she wants her look back!

Posted by: Wayne | Feb 25, 2008 3:27:59 PM

4. Sorry bout the link mix-up. Fixed now.

Posted by: andy | Feb 25, 2008 3:37:34 PM

5. The Russell link goes to Radcliffe getting mugged and sexually assulted.....lol

Wayne...Sometimes being Gay makes me ashamed, and your comment on Jane Russell is one of those....I hope to God your even able to stand upright when you reach that womans age, you prissy bitch. Just my opinion :)

Posted by: Joshua | Feb 25, 2008 3:39:14 PM

6. Regarding Iran:

Posted by: taodon | Feb 25, 2008 3:46:41 PM

7. "Pastor Ken Hutcherson's hate sermon: 'If I was in a drugstore and some guy opened the door for me, I’d rip his arm off and beat him with the wet end.'"
    --This guy is such a doofus. It's frickin' common courtesy to hold the door other people regardless of gender or orientation. My colleagues at work or strangers on the street have all opened or held the door open for me or I've done the same for them.

Jeez, who raised this guy? Wolves? Didn't his parents explain the basic manners?

Yep, I can certainly remember reading about Jesus decking people for showing him kindness, not!

Did anyone send him copies of the articles on Larry King or the latest child butchered because he was gay? How does this, as Charles Barkley said, "fake Christian" live with himself? Oh, yeah, he's just like Larry Sinclair, a deluded fool.

Posted by: noah | Feb 25, 2008 3:46:44 PM

8. Wayne, I have to second Joshua's comment (though I would not go so far as to say I was ashamed.) When I look at Jane Russell, I see a beautiful woman—not a young, fit supermodel, but a beautiful woman nonetheless. Like the late Anne Richards, her face tells a million stories, and her white hair proudly states her place among the wise and experienced. While many women Ms. Russell's age are at home in comfortable shoes, she's on the red carpet giving glamour. And the makeup? Hey, a girl's gotta work with the tools of the trade.

Posted by: LD | Feb 25, 2008 3:51:40 PM

9. If I ever run into Ken at a drugstore (or anywhere), I'll be sure to slam the door in his face.

Posted by: DCN | Feb 25, 2008 3:57:23 PM

10. Wow. I guess being a woman in Iran is marginally better than being a gay man in Iran, but not by much.

Posted by: Roscoe | Feb 25, 2008 4:05:54 PM

11. TAODON, I wouldn't say that Iran has a good understanding on transexuality, especially since they believe that gay people want to be the opposite sex. I don't know about you, but that's not my definition of gay. Many gay people in Iraq feel that the only way they can legally be with their partners is to have a sex change. That's not how I want to get acceptance.

Posted by: Cadence | Feb 25, 2008 4:18:23 PM

12. Jane Russell is a goddess.

Hugh Jackman is a god.

Posted by: sam | Feb 25, 2008 4:42:52 PM

13. God bless Jane Freakin' Russell, man. How easy would it be to sit comfortably at home, resting on your laurels, avoiding the inevitable public scrutiny? But, no--she's workin' the carpet, baby. Awesome!!

Posted by: rascal | Feb 25, 2008 4:50:05 PM

14. I have just watched the Iran programme on the BBC, the preview in todays London papers said it would made viewers angry, it did. The whole set up is based upon fear and denial of homosexuality. All of the post operative women were unhappy and trapped in a life worse than that they had before. Disowned by their families and selling themselves for sex. All of them seemed to be unhappy, even on the verge of suicidal, and said they regretted having the operation. The whole set up is basically legal castration of gay men. By the way I do have transgender friends but the men/women in Iran ddi not seem to resemble the transgender people i know. This is simply oppression verging on the type of things the nazis did to those they disapproved of. i recommend everyone to try and see this film and form their own opinions and them say they were not angered by it.

Posted by: ARCH | Feb 25, 2008 5:46:37 PM

15. Hugh Jackman at the beach....
    I'm imagining him and Daniel Craig both emerging from the surf and engaging in some "From Here to Eternity" surf-wrestling.

Proves you don't have to be a twink or fratboy to be sexy. Hell, even Harrison Ford still looking good, and he's 65.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Feb 25, 2008 6:01:31 PM

16. "Isn't it pathetic when a place like Iran has a better understanding of transexuality than the US? The rest of their views are deplorable - but they somehow get it right for transgenders. Go figure."

There's not much in this article that demonstrates that Iran has a good understanding of transsexuality! They see having a sex change as a cure for homosexuality. Parents still shun their children. People are trapped into having surgeries they may not want to fit within rigid gender roles. Doesn't sound very enlightened to me. The government funding would certainly be a plus for people who are truly transgender (rather than becoming so to save their lives), but that's about the only progressive note.

As for the same-sex PDA at Cipriani, well, perhaps they would have busted a straight couple for doing the same thing, but I always have my doubts. The airlines have used this same out, and it rarely rings true. Whatever the particulars of this case, to note there is almost always a PDA double standard is understatement. If I had a dime for every inappropriate straight PDA I've seen worldwide, with no scolding consequences, I could probably afford to eat at Cipriani, then buy it myself.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 25, 2008 6:22:02 PM

17. Iran just doesn't get it. I love seeing two cocks pressed up against each other. Especially when one of them is mine.

Posted by: gay as life | Feb 25, 2008 7:38:33 PM

18. Wayne I want to third the comments, you are a douche bag. Jane Russell is one of the last of the legends. Her work in Howard Hughes The Outlaw was cutting edge, one of the reasons that the rating system was put into place.

Get a clue about history sir, this woman is part of it.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 25, 2008 7:39:40 PM

19. Jane looked great!!! Don't be such shallow queens!!

Posted by: alan brickman | Feb 25, 2008 10:50:28 PM