Advertising | News | Rugby | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Jawbone: Technology We Can Get Behind

Jawbone

With regard to the Ben Cohen post, check out this commercial for the Jawbone Bluetooth headset. It claims to eliminate outside noise from your phone call. How it does so is the interesting part.

I can't think of a better way to shut up a loud rugby team.

See the commercial, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Partying Princes Drown Sorrows with Defeated Brit Rugby Team [tr]
Rugby League "Wang Dance" Captivates Australian Sports Fans [tr]
Sportrait: Busted French Rugby Players [tr]
Rugby Ad: From London to Paris, with Love [tr]

Comments

1. um, WHAT?

Who cares though, right? That's all we wanna see anyway. Now if they could make the irritating motormouth with the headset at the bar shut up, that'd REALLY be something.

Posted by: FizzkiekruntNT | Feb 11, 2008 5:43:39 PM

2. ok, that was HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: JR | Feb 11, 2008 5:49:05 PM

3. ok... can someone explain this ad to me? i get the part where the loud rugby team comes in but the woman with the snazzy headset magically can hear and speak with no background noise. but why were the rugby fellas making out? am i daft? i don't watch a lot of commercials.

Posted by: humanist | Feb 11, 2008 5:50:06 PM

4. OMG, tattoo boy is none other than Swedish buttboy Eric York. NO KIDDIN! LOL!

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Feb 11, 2008 5:50:26 PM

5. Anyone care to explain..?!

Posted by: Confused | Feb 11, 2008 5:51:32 PM

6. um, Finnish.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Feb 11, 2008 5:56:53 PM

7. I could be way off here, but I believe they're using "noise" as a double entendre... one to mean actual noise you won't hear when using their device, and secondly the hyper-straight "noise" that rugby players make to disguise their homosexuality.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 11, 2008 6:01:05 PM

8. let me see if i can explain this ad, the phone ran so they only way it could shut them up was to make them kiss, i am assuming they were the one making noise.

fuck that shit, the kissing was hot who cares why. i am definately sure it is airing in europe or canada, u.s. will faint

Posted by: johnosahon | Feb 11, 2008 6:02:08 PM

9. Ok...not to be OVERLY sensitive..(don't get me wrong...that was SOOOO very HOT!)...BUT...if you take a look at the other commercials for the same product.....

One depicts a girl sunbather lounging by the pool when a bunch of rowdy guys start horsing around by the pool. When the girl receives a phone call and answers using her Jawbone headset, a shark appears in the pool and rips the guys to shreds.

The second one depicts a straight couple dining at a fine restaurant where another man is being extremely loud and obnoxious. The cell phone of the man in the straight couple rings and he answers with his Jawbone headset. The waiters then proceed to drown the obnoxious, loud man in his soup.

The kissing rugby dudes commercial in itself is very erotic but comparatively, what is interesting are the events that occur to the loud and obnoxious offenders when the Jawbone headset is in use is very negative. In both of the other commercials, the offenders end up dead by being eaten by a shark, or being drowned in their own soup.....So making out with another guy is equivalent to being drowned or being eaten by a shark??

YOu can watch the other commercials here..

(the above link will replay the same rugby commerical but you can view two other available commercials by selecting them below).

Posted by: Osman | Feb 11, 2008 6:18:17 PM

10. The only thing this commercial teaches me is that if I use the Jawbone then I will miss hot rugby guys making out behind me.

I'll stick with my current bluetooth model, thanks.

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | Feb 11, 2008 6:18:28 PM

11. I think it means that the device quiets the noise/rowdiness just as if two rugby players making out would. I think....if so it's a lame strategy but who cares the make-out session is HOT!

Posted by: RyanLA | Feb 11, 2008 6:52:43 PM

12. The brand name is "Jawbone" and the tag line is "Jawbone Eliminates Noise" -- as in you use your jaw bone when you're making out with someone and eliminating the noise (in this case the loud rugby players) ....or am I misreading this?

Oh and it's hot as helll

Posted by: David | Feb 11, 2008 7:27:55 PM

13. That is hot. Love the commercial. Wish there was more.

Posted by: Oscar | Feb 11, 2008 7:46:04 PM

14. who cares what they're selling or what it's supposed to mean, that just gave me a raging hard-on.

Posted by: Matty | Feb 11, 2008 7:51:38 PM

15. I thought that the ad would end up showing that the rugger fans had stumbled into a gay/lesbian bar and that the two cute girls would start making out, followed by the two gay rugby fans. Then the straight guys would leave and go find their own boring crowd to hang out with.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 11, 2008 10:03:19 PM

16. Apparently Bluetooth never met these guys.

Posted by: Greg2 | Feb 12, 2008 2:28:28 AM

17. Such a random ad!! But gee that was HOTTTTT. Agreed, gave me an instant boner!!

Posted by: Zeke | Feb 12, 2008 4:09:47 AM

18. I guess they're saying that with the product you can focus on the call and ignore whatever is going on around you.

I can't wait for the version that shows her getting hit by a bus while she's having some inane conversation.

Posted by: Ulrich | Feb 12, 2008 7:49:42 AM

19. Eric York has beefed up.. is he on 'roids?

Posted by: Danny | Feb 12, 2008 8:11:35 AM

20. I hate to break this to everyone here who was distracted by how hot they thought the kissers are, but this ad seems to me to be premised on the completely homophobic notion that the sight of a pair of men kissing is so horrible that it is capable of clearing a room immediately, and the silence that follows that evacuation is analogous to the "noise elimination" you get when you buy this product. It's a bit roundabout for a commercial, but unfortunately, that's pretty much the only way it possibly makes sense, if you think about it from the point of view of the ad execs trying to sell the gadget (and not from the point of view of someone who is more predisposed than the general population to think men kissing is hot). In its way, its just as bigoted as the Snickers Super Bowl ad or any other media that presents same-sex kissing as the worst possible sight.

Posted by: Thomasina | Feb 12, 2008 10:50:33 AM

21. I don't see the homophobia as strongly as others. The other rugby players didn't seem like "oh that's so gross," they seemed more like "I can't believe they are making out." I think the element of surprise was what the ad was going for.

Not that that's a good thing. I'm waiting for the day that two guys making out isn't something used to "shock" straight. After hundreds of years of gayness, straight people are still surprised that gay men kiss each other. Seriously? Maybe these people aren't as smart as I thought.

Posted by: junior | Feb 12, 2008 11:29:47 AM

22. I watched it over and over and over and I still don't get the joke. I guess I'll have to watch it again.

Posted by: JJ | Feb 12, 2008 12:13:11 PM

23. no press is bad press! f*ck me i loved it.

Posted by: kostar | Feb 12, 2008 1:16:43 PM

24. That's not homophobic. The other ruggers aren't looking at the kissers in disgust - they're all smiling, like they think it's funny that their teammates would just start going at it like that. It's kind of like bros before hos. With hot guys.

Posted by: Rodolfo | Feb 12, 2008 1:45:01 PM

25. Homophobic? Puh-lease? How was that homophobic AT ALL?

The other ruggers didn't have bad reactions to the guys kissing. In fact, some smiled. The only time a reaction came close to being negative were some looks of embarrassment over the fact that two PEOPLE were making out so hard in a public place.

There were no grossed-out reactions. You people are just projecting your reactions to how you THOUGH the characters would react.

Posted by: Patrick W. | Feb 12, 2008 1:50:59 PM