Football (American) | News | Sports | Tom Brady

NFL Scouting Combine: The Beefcake will not be Televised

Tombrady2_8

The NFL Scouting Combine will no longer be televising the shirtless weigh-ins, FOX Sports Reports:

Tombrady3_5"'There was concern from current NFL players that the participants would be more comfortable if they were not paraded around without their shirts on,' combine director Jeff Foster said Saturday. 'It was an entirely appropriate suggestion. The weigh-ins should never have been televised.' Foster didn't know which players lodged the complaint, but it's believed to have come from NFL Player Association representatives who attend the Combine for union matters. Foster said any drills that would potentially involve a shirtless player also are off-limits to NFL Network, which has exclusive television rights to the Combine...There are modesty issues as well. A photo of Tom Brady wearing only gray gym shorts from the 2000 Combine was shown during the NFL Network telecast of December's regular-season finale between New England and the New York Giants. 'I am so happy they didn't videotape my Combine,' NFL Network announcer and former wide receiver Cris Collinsworth said as Combine footage of Brady aired."

Tombrady4_4Last week, Outsports noted that Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports "describes the whole spectacle as kind of creepy, with apparent straight, older men ogling young male flesh like other guys do to the waitresses at Hooters." And sports blog Deadspin said "The NFL Combine has always creeped us out."

Basically it's a reaction to the icky homosexual subtext underneath it all. Go figure. The thought of men admiring other men for purely physical reasons is something that professional sports can't seem to handle, no matter what the context. Although, overseas, top players in professional sports have no problem courting the attention and even financially gaining from the physical objectification. In fact, it has spawned cottage industries, particularly with the French rugby team who seem to have no problem shedding every article of clothing for the Dieux du Stade calendars.

So, the plan is, the combine meat market will go on, it just won't be televised. Deadspin notes: "We would like to remind everyone that the NFL Draft Combine is yet another vivid reminder that the NFL does not measure success by heart, or guts, or grit. They measure it, simply, by meat."

NFL Network won't show shirtless players [fox sports]

Related
Tom Brady's First Beefcake Shot [tr]
Herndon Climb Under Review: Too Greasy...or too Gay? [tr]

Comments

1. that was weird, I agree

Posted by: fernlaplante | Feb 26, 2008 9:21:46 AM

2. I actually have more of a problem with the "Slave Auction" aspect of the event. Do they check their teeth?

Posted by: Jerry | Feb 26, 2008 9:39:18 AM

3. Maybe it's not about homophobia? Maybe a few of these players have great talent but have bad self-esteem or low self image and don't want to be seen half naked on television. I know I wouldn't, ecspecially in this HD age.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 26, 2008 9:41:04 AM

4. The Dieux du Stade men and their beautiful exhibitionism are hardly comparable to what goes on in "The NFL Combine", which is in itself, a rather vivid description. The NFL draft has always, to me, rather more accurately resembled a slave trade, something akin to Roots or watching some glorified version of Roman occupation of foreign soil, the warriors of those lands fighting for their freedom in the death matches of the coliseum. Only now, the prize is money, stardom, permanent injury, and in many cases, jail time...and these men all CHOOSE to partake in this future. I call whiney bullshit and for the most part, these guys aren't even interesting to look at.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Feb 26, 2008 9:41:04 AM

5. This looks WAY too much like a slave auction for me to find it sexy.

FIZZIEKRUNTNTT nailed it.

They're being auctioned off like gladiators.

Posted by: Zeke | Feb 26, 2008 9:49:47 AM

6. I remember back in the 80s, ABC News did a piece about the Combines. It was a woman reporter(maybe Diane Sawyer). The piece did compare the Combine to a "meat market" with a "slave auction" atmosphere. During the weigh-ins the young men were all in shorts, jogging pants (no shirts), and a few were in jock straps(I aint lyin'). If this embarrassed some of the young men, then it shouldn't be televised...I guess. People shouldn't take advantage of each other for purient reasons(...please, I'm about to gag). But then straight guys can be so arrogant and blatantly misogynistic with their macho posturing(well, a lot of gays are misogynists too, aren't they?)...oh, well. But, Hell, they sure don't mind showin' off their stuff when they're struttin' around the locker room like peacocks. And what beautiful peacocks they are.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 26, 2008 9:51:15 AM

7. "Basically it's a reaction to the icky homosexual subtext underneath it all. Go figure. The thought of men admiring other men for purely physical reasons is something that professional sports can't seem to handle, no matter what the context."

No, it is very creepy. These are meat market pictures. What reason in a professional environment does a semi-naked review make sense? If the NFL were interested in the health of an athlete, a thorough medical exam and review of medical history would provide that.

This would be equally creepy if it were women photographed in the same context. It dehumanizes someone into meat. Look at Brady's expression. He looks very uncomfortable as would most people would be who are forced into this situation.

Posted by: noah | Feb 26, 2008 9:54:42 AM

8. slave auction indeed, and shades of the roman empire, gladiators and all... i think you nailed it on the head when you mentioned the homoerotic subtext underneath it all, old men salivating over the young stud hunks a la greek gymnasium.... well professional sports is starting to get very hep to what turns on us queens. for example, in football, camera men no longer zoom in on those huddles and give us closeups of those beautiful football asses, i have tapes where the camera men do just that, scanning every inch of those beautiful men and it's breathtaking, you know the camera man had to be gay or something...

Posted by: the queen | Feb 26, 2008 10:09:04 AM

9. The NFL Combine is a meat market, pure and simple. It has always reminded me of the many auditions I went through as a classical dancer (thirty years and fifty pounds ago!). We were not even allowed the dignity of our names but had numbers pinned to our tights (which are much more revealing than the baggy shorts the football players are allowed to wear). Moreover the dance masters routinely poked and prodded the dancers and made negative comments out loud in front of everyone. At least the football players now make incredible salaries and can retire with financial security when their bodies inevitably break down. Dancers often forfeit their youth and education to pursue a career that usually lasts less than ten years. I am not complaining, it is a choice that one makes. The selection system is all for the benefit of the coaches, not for the individual players or performers.

Posted by: rudy | Feb 26, 2008 10:11:53 AM

10. Awwww, Georgie Porgie Put-Upon-Pie. Please.

Shake them pom-poms, flash that ass. I have no sympathy for them that hold double standards.

Besides, UFC's where the real meat (plus suggestive commentary) is.

Posted by: Princess Superstar | Feb 26, 2008 10:22:36 AM

11. Sissies.

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 26, 2008 10:22:46 AM

12. THE QUEEN, PRINCESS SUPERSTAR & PETERPARKER:

Thanks, for being "real". I'm turning into a pussy in my old age...scared of being called "politically incorrect, insensitive & a typical self-gratifying old queen." Shiiiiit, the way some of those jock straight bastards treat women, gays and especially transfolk...oh, please--half of 'em deserve to be in a damn (all races included)slave auction!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 26, 2008 10:41:42 AM

13. Straight guys are so gay.

Posted by: jeff | Feb 26, 2008 11:29:05 AM

14. Although I think a lot of football players are hot and enjoyed to a degree looking at their bodies in skimpy attire working out, I felt uncomfortable with aspects of the NFL Combine. It began to feel like a slave meat market where people are objectified and prodded for their physical abilities to deliver for the "master" team owners. The fact that most of these guys are black makes it feel even worse. Further, I felt bad for the guys with less than stellar bodies, who had to disrobe in front of ogling masses. Even guys with buffed bodies should not be forced to disrobe for the gawking eyes of the masses. It just felt wrong. I am glad they changed the broadcasting of the more intimate events.

Posted by: Javier | Feb 26, 2008 1:03:25 PM

15. I didn't even know they did this. Wow. Another reason not to like football. This is kinda sick.

Posted by: junior | Feb 26, 2008 1:17:31 PM

16. Sorry guys but misandry does not make up for or cure misogyny in fact it will only feed it.

That kind of "pay back" reasoning is the very reason why we never seem to evolve into a kinder or more thoughtful species.

DERRICK, becoming more thoughtful and caring doesn't make you a pussy or a sissy How ironic that these are the terms used to make a point AGAINST misogyny.

In my opinion you were right the first time. The idea that a person would promote the shame, degradation or mistreatment of men in order to fight misogyny is absurd.

Two wrongs still don't make a right.

Posted by: Zeke | Feb 26, 2008 3:50:40 PM

17. Yes, Zeke, I thought about the term "pussy" after I posted--using the term to denote a lack of courage. I was going to retract it, but then I thought about how the boys in the locker room use that term. I'm not sure that the word used in the context that I used it has anything to do with the females or female anatomy, or if it ever did. Of course, if one wants to one could say my comments sure sounded like they came from a "dick"--you know, a not-to-bright person. For some of us, emotion always trumps logic. I'm the first to admit that, Zeke.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 26, 2008 4:40:40 PM

18. Zeke, don't think I just shrugged off your wise response to my comment. I thought about what you said before I fell asleep last night, and again early this morning. I'm still thinkin' on it. I haven't come over to your side on this one, but I appreciate your input. Yes.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 27, 2008 10:48:22 AM