Australia | News | Swimming | Sydney

Sydney Mardi Gras Parade Spurs Local Surge in LGBT Lifeguards

Lifeguards

Sydney has seen a sharp increase in the number of gays and lesbians joining the ranks of lifeguards, or "livesavers" as the Aussies call them, since last year's Mardi Gras parade, when a squadron of LGBT lifesavers marched and encouraged others to join them.

"Lifesavers with Pride spokesman Drew Lambert said numbers had doubled since the organisation had a float in the 2007 parade. 'This year we expect 150 people to be part of the float,' he said. As a patrol captain and instructor at North Bondi Surf Life Saving Club, Mr Lambert has seen a big increase in the number of gay lifesavers. 'When I rejoined North Bondi a few years ago there were only a couple of gay guys in the club, now there are around 20 or 30,' he said. One of the new recruits is Michael Webster, who recently moved to Sydney from Queensland. 'Seeing the guys and girls in last year's Mardi Gras made me reconsider the lifesaving movement completely,' he said. 'I've always loved swimming, but I never thought I would be the right fit for lifesaving. I'm so glad I was wrong, because the skills I have learnt have given me the ability to save someone's life.'"

Here is their 'recruiting' video:

Recently
Kathy Griffin to Serve as Hostess on Gayest Airline Flight Ever [tr]

Comments

1. ah those aussie lifeguards, aren't they the ones who pull their trunks up their cracks and expose their beautiful cheeks... i remember many moons ago some postcards of their superb asses being sold at a different light in el lay... think i bought one and can't find it... oh well..

Posted by: the queen | Feb 4, 2008 4:55:38 PM

2. the flag waving has got to go. it's soooo gay!

Posted by: busytimmy | Feb 4, 2008 5:13:25 PM

3. LOL. That video made me cringe out of my skin. I wonder if they actually think their recruitment is being helped by that video. They did choose a great song to start off the video... Shannon was ROBBED! He rocks!

Posted by: James | Feb 4, 2008 5:27:16 PM

4. Awww chill guys, give them a break. Sure it's a bit over long with that "you had to be there" vibe, but man --- hot almost naked people, who can save a life, in adorable traditional swim caps --- Where's the down-side in that?

Posted by: Strepsi | Feb 4, 2008 6:45:32 PM

5. Her Royal Highness approves. There was a reason why we emptied all our prison and insane asylums and sent them there to begin with. The Pom Poms are precious

Posted by: Mary, Really Late Dowager Queen of the British Empire, Ireland, Empress of India, etc..... | Feb 4, 2008 7:59:36 PM

6. THANK GOD FOR SDEEDOS.YES I LIKE THE MUSIC TO &IT"S GREAT THAT LIFESAVER ARE GAY.MORE GAY POWER TO THE GLBT

Posted by: ROBERT.M | Feb 4, 2008 8:07:58 PM

7. Cyndi Lauper- Margaret Cho and Kathy Griffin are doing Mardi Grass in Sidney. I would love to be able to go! Cyndi is releasing a new album soon. It supposed to be a dance album! Can't hardly wait.

Posted by: Tim | Feb 4, 2008 11:00:27 PM