George W. Bush | Hillary Clinton | Nancy Pelosi | Television | Tim Gunn

Tim Gunn Dubs Hillary Clinton's Fashion Sense 'Gender-Confused'

Crocs1

Last night Tim Gunn, whose Poindexter presence makes Project Runway, appeared on Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Conan had him analyze the fashion sense of a couple political figures, starting with a photo that was taken last summer of President Bush wearing a pair of Crocs and black socks with a Presidential seal on them.

GunnTim seemed a bit hesitant to lay into the president, saying "I can only imagine that the Crocs are a metaphor."

However, Gunn really dug into Hillary Clinton's fashion sense:

Gunn: "When she was in the White House I really thought there was hope for her. And then she became the senator from New York and I thought 'hurray, hallelujah, she's from New York, she's representing us, her fashion will really be ramped up,' but I think she's confused about what her gender is. She's so mannish in her dress, and I believe the suits are probably made out of Kevlar. I just don't get it. There is one Capitol Hill leader whose fashion I think can't be beat and that's Nancy Pelosi."

Ouch. Of course, Clinton herself has recently poked fun at her own fashion sense but I can't help but think calling her gender-confused might not sit too well with some people. Though it certainly inspired a roar from the audience.

Watch the full clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm less and less a fan of Hillary as a leader but during this campaign I've been consistently impressed with how good she looks. Especially her hair and makeup. Not that that should matter when picking a President.

I am proud to have both masculine and feminine qualities highly developed within myself.

Posted by: Miles | Feb 19, 2008 10:02:31 AM

2. "I'm really tired of people--especially gay people!--acting like gender-bending, or whatever you want to call it, is a shameful thing. It's stupid and lazy and probably self-loathing."

Well said Miles.

Posted by: Sasha | Feb 19, 2008 10:11:15 AM

3. Honestly Miles, how in the world would gender bending be considered self loathing? Can't a person have fun with exploring another aspect of their psyche and express their true selves without judgement and prejudice? Does the recent murder of 14 year old Lawrence King teach you nothing?

I'm really tired of people throwing around catch phrases without substantiation. Your intolerance is a shameful thing.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 19, 2008 10:17:56 AM

4. HAHAHA was he calling Bush gay? I love Tim.

Posted by: Frank D | Feb 19, 2008 10:26:00 AM

5. Argh! I really hate this kind of sexist crap that Gunn and his ilk toss at Clinton. She's a politician. This is just sexist bullshit. Why the hell should a 60-year-old politician have to care if her fashion style pleases anyone other than herself? Men, gay and straight, have been terrorizing women for not adhering to some pathetic fashion sense that has nothing to do with women and every thing to do with how men perceive them.

It's a bit much for the Gunn of all people to criticize Clinton for being 'mannish" given that he's effeminate. What the hell? A gay man criticizing someone else because of lack of adherence to gender norms.

Anytime a strong woman, politician or not, doesn't follow the fashion trends and maximize her femininity, her sexuality is questioned, and she is automatically masculinized regardless of orientation.

This is just sexist bullshit. I've never thought of Hillary Clinton as mannish looking. She looks like what she is, a 60-year-old woman. Frankly, as a presidential candidate, I'm glad that she's more concerned with winning the election than looking good. What the hell, it's 2007 and a smart woman still hast to worry about being judged about her clothes and not her brains or character. Pathetic!

Clinton has plenty of flaws but attacking her because of her fashion choices in the middle of a presidential campaign just shows how much sexism is alive and well.

Posted by: noah | Feb 19, 2008 10:28:54 AM

6. Tim, will you marry me? You silver fox, you!

Posted by: Banjiboi | Feb 19, 2008 10:50:49 AM

7. Mark, Miles is not saying that gender-bending is shameful or self-loathing. He said that the finding gender-bending shameful is self-loathing.

He's not being intolerant, he's saying being intolerant is the problem.

Posted by: Taylor | Feb 19, 2008 10:56:17 AM

8. MARK,

your lack of reading comprehension is appalling.

Gunn is a pissant. it's time for gay men to stop thinking that bitchiness is akin to being clever.

Posted by: nic | Feb 19, 2008 10:56:17 AM

9. Mark, I did wonder after I posted my comment whether I could have been more clear.

I meant that the shaming is self-loathing. I was trying to defend gender-bending.

Posted by: Miles | Feb 19, 2008 11:01:46 AM

10. NIC

I agree with you. I'm not sure that is something you would want to let others know about though.

:-)

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 19, 2008 11:04:09 AM

11. Miles, I did misread your comment. Sorry for being hasty & thanks for clarifying.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 19, 2008 11:05:41 AM

12. Glad to see others are getting it, too. There's Lady Gunn up there, her wrists whirling like a windmill, a trunk full of fake Louis Vuitton purses falls out every time she opens her mouth, and SHE'S calling Sen. Clinton confused about her gender?

Hesitant to criticize a lame duck President with approval ratings lower than the water in Miss Gunn's bidet? Could it be Miss Gunn's a....wait for it....cocksucking Repug?

Sexist, misogynistic homophobia from a homo is always the ugliest of all and so NOT "fashionable." I suggest we nominate Miss Gunn to "Project Grow Up." Fuck him and not in the way he probably has to pay to have done.

Now approach the "Can't You Take A Joke Trolls."

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Feb 19, 2008 11:08:44 AM

13. If figures that dumbass Bush would be wearing Crocs. The absolute dumbest shoe choice ever!! I mean, these are plastic shoes made for gardening, now people wear them out and now they are even lined to keep you feet warm. STop the Instanity!!
    this is as bad when people wore their Addias sandals with socks. yikes!!!
    Leave Hilliary alone...my God, what is the women supposed to wear? i think she looks age appropriate. she isn't exactly svelt.

Posted by: paul | Feb 19, 2008 11:13:44 AM

14. Make her wear a suit and she's mannish. Make her wear a dress and she's a weak woman who could never be elected. As a society, we need to stop giving a crap about what our female politicians wear because - guess what - we don't give a crap what the men wear. It's blatant sexism to analyze Hillary's attire. She's running for President, not Make Me a Super Model.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 19, 2008 11:30:02 AM

15. and if hillary wore pretty feminine clothes then she would be torn to pieces and called a female who only cares for how she looks instead of the issues. Women cannot win in this world.

Posted by: yeahokay | Feb 19, 2008 11:38:24 AM

16. and if hillary wore pretty feminine clothes then she would be torn to pieces and called a female who only cares for how she looks instead of the issues. Women cannot win in this world.

Posted by: yeahokay | Feb 19, 2008 11:38:26 AM

17. It's really a Catch 22 situation. Hillary's got thighs from hell and gankles. Pant suits are her solution to camouflage her legs. I agree she should use the fashion resources available in NYC.

Posted by: Jack | Feb 19, 2008 11:42:55 AM

18. I think Gunn's age is showing. He's from that generation that hates women who are powerful and secure in their identity and don't need to suck up to would-be fashion gurus or patriarchial notions of what women should be like.

On the one hand, Gunn benefits as a gay man from the changes in attitudes that allow men like him to have societal acceptance. On the other hand, Gunn is all too eager to debase women who do not adhere to outdated modes of thinking. Too bad Gunn is such a hypocrite that he can't see how he is part of the problem that hurts people.

Last week, we read about young Larry King who was tormented and murdered for not adhering to gender standards. Here's Tim Gunn acting as a gender bully himself. Yeah, Gunn isn't packing lead to do harm, he's "just" using words, helping to entrench attitudes and beliefs that the morality and gender norm police use to brainwash children into becoming monsters.

Gunn could learn a lot from Charles Barkley about tolerance and acceptance.

Posted by: noah | Feb 19, 2008 11:49:19 AM

19. he's going some angry feminists beating down his door. run for your life tim!

Posted by: paula | Feb 19, 2008 11:55:54 AM

20. Finally, someone speaks the truth!
    TIM GUNN is my new heroo....
    and a funny one too.

Posted by: Hailey | Feb 19, 2008 12:27:45 PM

21. I don't know, guys. I think you may be missing the possibility that Tim is just playing the practical adviser--precisely what he is paid to do. Like it or not, the vast majority of the electorate would probably characterize as "mannish" Hillary's fashion choices, too. We can all agree that such gender characterizations are retrograde and even potentially harmful, but one of the first rules of politics is that you have to deal with things the way they are before you can hope to facilitate change. Tim never claimed to be a thought leader on gender politics, and I think it's misguided to demand that he be. The man needs to cut to the chase, as it were, when discussing issues of cultural perception vis-a-vis clothing choice, and that is precisely what he has done.

Posted by: rascal | Feb 19, 2008 12:56:06 PM

22. Gunn is from that self-important group of fashionistas that think women can only wear “drag queen” clothing and hooker heels. Tired very tired.

Posted by: ggreen | Feb 19, 2008 1:16:22 PM

23. Oh, fucking puhleeeze, Rascal. "I think she's confused about what her gender is....the suits are probably made out of Kevlar"—if that's just "practical advice" then the bullets shot into 15-yr. old Lawrence King's head apparently because he was "confused about what [his] gender [was]" were just air kisses.

Laura Bush appears in more pants suits than Rosie O'Donnell. As the Repugs focus group EVERYTHING, I'm confidant research shows that the majority of voters have no problem with women in pants suits.

In any case, Gunn was perpetuating sexism and gender identity nonsense. What did he say about Obama? That he looked too “uppity” in those nice suits? “Shouldn’t he be wearing a loin cloth under a dashiki? I think he’s confused about what race he is.”

As someone else astutely observed, he's one of those shallow queens who have benefited from the activism and sacrifices of others while still living in and perpetuating an Airy Fairy cotton candyass world. We all like pretty things, including clothes, but Bravo has become the Castrati Network, pimping stereotypical, nonthreatening ho-mo-sechuals to the world. Gunn is a cypher, design degrees notwithstanding, and Sen. Clinton, for all her faults, has more of real value to offer the world in one millimeter of her Kevlar pantsuit than Gunn has in his entire Silly Savage life. She's already in history books whereas most of what he's done will end up in huge rag bales in fabric recyling factories.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Feb 19, 2008 1:25:59 PM

24. At least Hillary didn't inform everyone that up until recently she wasn't really proud of her country. Then again, you'll probably never hear about this since SOME blogs seem to be much more focused on how glorious and wonderful Barack Obama is.

Posted by: BANNE | Feb 19, 2008 1:40:19 PM

25. Michael: You've succeeded admirably in proving that highly simplistic arguments are indeed most effective using gross exaggerations, but you've also proven that you missed my point entirely by regurgitating a set of incongruous and illogical expectations that some here on the board feel appropriate to assign to Mr. Gunn. Tim Gunn would no more put himself in a cultural or historical context with Hillary Clinton than he would with George Washington--you're the one who is proposing that bit of ridiculousness. And, I don't think the point is pantsuit or not pantsuit, it's not as binary as that. It's about the type, style, cut, color, adornments, etc. of the damn pantsuit. I could argue that the gender comment was unfortunate. But I could also argue that Tim tells it like it is--not from the standpoint of the politically-correct 21st Century enlightened gay man--but from the standpoint of a fashion adviser who knows what the public thinks.

Posted by: rascal | Feb 19, 2008 1:55:50 PM