Barack Obama | Condoleezza Rice | Election 2008 | Hillary Clinton | Music | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #245

CONDOLEEZZA RICE: The Secretary lies about making false statements before the Iraq war.

HILLARY CLINTON: Clinton wants a debate in Wisconsin.

MICHELLE OBAMA: Her recent appearance on Larry King Live.

DAVID ARCHULETA: 16-year-old American Idol contestant sings "Heaven" at Hollywood audition.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. Funny she asks for a debate when she's 1000 miles away in Texas. Hmmm

Posted by: Jason | Feb 14, 2008 4:29:26 PM

2. The Archuleta kid is AMAZING. What a voice and cute as a bug, smiling ear to ear while maintaining a clearly genuine "Aw shucks" modesty.

He has got to be a sure front runner at this point. He's definitely my favorite.

Posted by: ZEKE | Feb 14, 2008 4:29:32 PM

3. Kudos for posting David Archuleta's performance, Andy, he's one of the most talented, skilled, and appealing contestants AI has ever had. It will be a delight to watch him--let's hope he hangs in for a while.

Posted by: rascal | Feb 14, 2008 4:41:36 PM

4. Sorry--once more about David--

"...that tingly feeling... oh, I don't know... I only get it when I sing, I guess..."

Aahhhh! I thought the twelve year-old girl in me was long gone. Guess not....

Posted by: rascal | Feb 14, 2008 4:49:28 PM

5. Zeke & Rascal are right. Some folks are just natural born singers. You can't learn that, you can't imitate like that--not at 16. Mr Archuleta is unbelievable. I wonder if one can be a musical genius at singing the same way one can be playing any other musical instru...well, of course you can: Aretha.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 14, 2008 4:50:45 PM

6. WOW! I may have to watch AI this season. That guy is amazing.

Posted by: Barry | Feb 14, 2008 4:50:57 PM

7. The kid is the real thing. I hope that fact that he's a former UTube celebrity, Rosie O'Donnel favorite and then there was his record deal... doesn't get him kicked off the show or hated by America. This kids gonna get alot of bad press real soon.

Posted by: lexxicuss | Feb 14, 2008 4:55:17 PM

8. That guy is one of my favorites... but I'm not sure I can forgive Idol for cutting Josiah.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 14, 2008 4:55:47 PM

9. there have been 18 freaking debates! Hillary is desperate.
    Here's Obama's response AD:

Posted by: marco | Feb 14, 2008 5:05:51 PM

10. He's not bad, but other than the fact that he's 16, he's not all that remarkable. There's just a lot of very talented singers out there. I actually don't think the potential for talent is all that rare, just the willingness to work at it.

All that said, I could be entirely prejudiced due to the fact that I a) hate American Idol and b) only saw part of the video - where he just started to really sing - before the video stopped working.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 14, 2008 5:07:17 PM

11. And he's already agreed to two more debates!

Posted by: John | Feb 14, 2008 5:08:26 PM

12. Josiah was a mess, vocally and mentally. Liza Archuletta has a decent voice, but what a bright-eyed, totally sincere, adorable, sweet-natured kid! I hope he goes far on that alone! There's no air of pretense whatsoever....one of the most endearing contestants in the history of Idol ~ so far. I hope he doesn't turn into an arrogant prick (sorta like Josiah)...

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Feb 14, 2008 5:11:51 PM

13. Let me get on the David Archuleta bandwagon. I usually don't watch Idol. I usually watch the first few episodes then give up. Last season was the first time since season 1 that I watched to the end. I agree with some of the other feedback. His modesty and his inate talent are endearing. And he took a song that I probably turn away when I hear it on the radio and hooked me. It's hard to believe he hasn't had a lot of training, because he sure seemed a pro in delivering that song, knowing exactly how to "massage" it at certain points. Let's hope he has staying power. I also feel bad for that geeky kid who was the last one cut. I agree with Simon he had enough talent to carry him further, and he would have been fun to watch as the weeks progressed. And no Josiah, either. Sniff, sniff. Hope he comes back next year just a bit more polished.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 14, 2008 5:15:48 PM

14. RYAN, too bad they didn't show the clip where he sang while playing the piano. That was my favorite. The kid is INCREDIBLY talented and so natural.

JOSIAH, made the mistake of letting his natural arrogance show. After his hissy fit with the band, refusing to take up the generous offer from the coach to go back and work with them to sort things out and then strutting out on stage, dismissing the band and TOTALLY screwing up the song, he couldn't get kicked to the curb quick enough for me.

Posted by: ZEKE | Feb 14, 2008 5:23:22 PM

15. ill just add on to what others are saying
    that kid is great! still not enough for me to watch AI,but I'll definitely check him out on youtube as the season goes on

Posted by: gabriel | Feb 14, 2008 5:23:43 PM

16. Obama IS ducking debates because why get specific on issues if he doesn't have to? People have drunk his kool-aid, they buy his gimmick. 18 previous debates don't matter because they are specific to the market currently about to vote. There should be a debate for each voting area. Obama is very afraid of having to talk about issues because he has to talk about specifics and not give flowery speeches. I'm looking forward to Obama winning, I was a huge fan of the Carter years.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 14, 2008 5:42:20 PM

17. I don't normally watch Idol because as a classical singer I think that anyone who has the balls to sing in front of a bunch of people deserves to have my unqualified support... especially when the song you're covering has been made very famous by a well-known successful artist. David Archuleta did a great job, and has a lovely and pleasant voice for one so young. I hope he continues to have the same joy and passion for singing that he so clearly showed in this clip. It's nice to see someone smile so genuinely. What a cute kid.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 14, 2008 5:59:12 PM

18. Re: Condi's lies: I find it very telling that she only says "that isn't right," never saying "that isn't true."

Posted by: dave | Feb 14, 2008 6:37:55 PM

19. Once again people seem more concerned with pop culture than our own government. Rice is low, no better than the terrorists our government claims to be fighting. Today the House of Representatives voted Thursday to cite Joshua B. Bolten, the White House chief of staff, and Harriet E. Miers, a former White House counsel, for contempt for refusing to testify about their participation in the firing of federal prosecutors. The White House is invoking "executive privilege" in order to keep individuals from testifying regarding Republican partisanship, and in retaliation is accusing Democrats of their own partisanship. Seems a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. Further, if they have nothing to hide, if nothing wrong was done, why go to this length? Finally, the Republican party seems awfully bent on pushing legislation on this eaves-dropping bill. Over the course of the week I found it very interesting that the Clemons steroid "scandal" was front page news while our government handed out free passes to telecom companies in exchange for their co-operation in eavesdropping on American citizens. Benjamin Franklin put it best when he said, "Those who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." American was founded on freedom, giving up our essential liberty would simply be giving in to "terror". What could is living if our lives become meaningless, regulated shells of existence; mere echoes of our former selves? Are we any more safe after 9/11 with the Patriot Act; habeas corpus has been taken from the American people and it seems we're more concerned with television and Britney Spears. It's sickening and maddening to watch as our own government wipes its collective ass with our constitution as we fall further and further down the rabbit hole, becoming closer to our sworn enemies. In the name of terror? Nothing is more terrifying than living in a police state. Call me a liberal, call me whatever makes you feel better if you agree with our governments actions in these recent times. In the end, I would hate to believe that American soldiers and civilians died defending our freedom if our own government feels that very freedom is expendable. It doesn't add up.

Posted by: Cory | Feb 14, 2008 6:45:05 PM

20. David Archuleta = jailbait. He's just too cute. Nice voice as well.

Posted by: The Other Jordan | Feb 14, 2008 6:51:00 PM

21. Jason the reason is because she wants the free advertising a debate will bring.

Obama has agreed to 2 more debates so far before Texas/ Ohio, but hillary can't afford to actualy field a starong campaign in wisconsin anymore.

The frugal part of me gives her kudos for trying to get free advertising. The obama supporter in me says tough cookies for her not budgeting her money better

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 14, 2008 7:02:49 PM

22. Ruan

What makes him amazing is he had Big time surgery on his larnyx (spell check) a few years ago and was told he would never ever ever be able to sing again let alone probably not be able to talk again.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 14, 2008 7:08:54 PM

23. damn

sorry for the typos

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 14, 2008 7:10:27 PM

24. Hey Cory - Do you know what the most popular decade for American movies was? The 1930s -- The Great Depression. Think about it.

Posted by: rascal | Feb 14, 2008 7:54:00 PM

25. Sorry, but I get so disheartened when I see something as important as what is currently happening in our government get glossed over time and time again in favor of American Idol or Britney Spears news. Sad.

Posted by: Cory | Feb 14, 2008 6:45:05 PM

Cory I understand your feelings and I am happy to say I do not watch any of this crap they call 'reality' TV. That said the kid has a great voice in the clip, as does the Underwood girl, though none are of my taste.

Considering the shit, like your mention of Spears puts out, this is a far better improvement but not so much considering how many they have thrown into the market the last 7 or so years. I only watched about ten minutes the first season and found it to be so mean spirited, especially considering the ass wipe Judges and W in DC.

As for the posts who are so into this crap, they may or may not be into the problems in this world, but we all need a break. Cut them some slack. My guilty TV pleasures? Torchwood, South Park, Daily Show, and of course Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters. Hey we all need a break, take one yourself, you sound like you deserve one.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 14, 2008 7:56:53 PM