Immigration | News

BigGayDeal.com

Family Research Council's Sprigg Apologizes for Anti-Gay Remarks

Last week I posted an item about the Family Research Council's Peter Sprigg, who was interviewed by the Medill Reports about the Uniting America Families Act, which would eliminate discrimination with regard to foreign partners of gay and lesbian citizens, allowing them to obtain permanent resident status in the same way that spouses do.

SpriggSprigg told Medill Reports: "I would much prefer to export homosexuals from the United States than to import them into the United States because we believe homosexuality is destructive to society."

In a statement on the group's blog yesterday, Sprigg apologized for his statement, but not for his support of current immigration policy:

Said Sprigg: "In an interview with Medill News Service that was posted on the Internet last week, I discussed FRC’s opposition to an immigration bill that would allow foreign nationals who are the same-sex partners of American citizens to immigrate to the United States on the same basis as foreign spouses of American citizens. FRC does not believe that homosexual relationships are the equivalent of marriage, and we therefore oppose any legislation that would treat such relationships as the equivalent of marriage. In response to a question regarding bi-national same-sex couples who are separated by an international border, I used language that trivialized the seriousness of the issue and did not communicate respect for the essential dignity of every human being as a person created in the image of God. I apologize for speaking in a way that did not reflect the standards which the Family Research Council and I embrace."

I've posted the original interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He should get his ass FIRED!

Posted by: Eric | Mar 28, 2008 9:56:07 AM

2. This is a perfect example of why groups such as the Family Research Council are so dangerous.

Their public face is one of "kindness" and "reasonableness" that allows them to move through Washington policy circles unquestioned about their bigotry.

However, behind that facade, they are nothing but a group of ugly, nasty, homophobe extremists.

That he got caught expressing his organization's true views and positions is the only reason he is apologizing. There is no sincerity in his words.

Posted by: DC Guy | Mar 28, 2008 10:15:47 AM

3. Import them? We're already here!

Posted by: z | Mar 28, 2008 10:41:59 AM

4. .
    ..Oh, and Petey, don't let the stall door bang ya in the ass on yer way out.

Posted by: hill_w | Mar 28, 2008 10:45:26 AM

5. "I used language that trivialized the seriousness of the issue and did not communicate respect for the essential dignity of every human being as a person created in the image of God."

So God is gay too, right? Not just one giant, bungling heterosexual god that only sees in one direction...what the FRC must be saying is that God, essentially, is bi, or does God just have a different attitude for every varying degree of sexual expression? Some days I think about men, some days I think about women...well, mostly men when I'm thinking about sexual gratification at all, but I digress. Every human being was created in the image of God in their own words. Indeed, me too, Peter! I've heard it since I was old enough to comprehend the words. I was, for all of my intricacies and multi-dimensional thinking, created in God's image! Suck on that for a while.

"I apologize for speaking in a way that did not reflect the standards which the Family Research Council and I embrace."

Then I'd say it was Peter Sprigg's duty to explain just what the FRC's "expert opinion" is on stupidity and uneducated fanaticism. After visiting the FRC website and searching through the policy page on their website, the "expert opinion" of the FRC was entirely missing. Not a single link that I clicked contained any information. However, the blogs, press, and legislation pages were well-stocked, indeed.

Lest we feel martyred by this group of priggish nitwits, fear not; they hate everyone. What Peter failed to appropriately pronounce to the press was that the FRC not only hates homosexuals, but also the happiness of all mankind. That includes womenkind (and their bodies)! Damn those women for daring to even suggest they are in control of their own reproductive organs! Those were made for hetero males to control, right? For the bible tells me so, right? The FRC also despises people with MS and others with a multitude of diseases that could benefit from stem-cell research.

Now, there is SOME validity to the old "let nature take its course" argument, since after all, "God" created nature, so that means God is deciding who lives and who dies...just like man because man is created in the image of God, right? So, while we dine on pesticide covered foods, breathe chemically polluted air and die of a host of cancers yet to be discovered, that's God's will? Right? You people had all better convert to christian science, PRONTO!

If God gave a baboon the same rationale and thought capacity of these men because perhaps the baboon was created in "God's image", I wonder how we'd all be faring under the same kind of rules these people, these bloated self-serving control freaks calling themselves the experts in my world, how THEY apply THEIR RULES to MY universe. If I were a baboon? I'd just get rid of the humans. HEY, at least we could all hang out all day, watch the skies, smell the wind, eat what was provided by the earth without worrying about nuclear proliferation, child abuse, and...HEY, sounds a lot like Adam and Eve, doesn't it?

By the way, has anyone seen God lately? I've been meaning to ask him how to handling this aging thing.

I guess none of this really matters to the FRC because some day, after they've lived their lives in pious judgement of others and made a lot of people sick, hurt them spiritually and denied them the happiness that God apparently only likes some of his creation to have, Jesus is going to come down from the magic skies of heaven (gosh, I've watched a lot of NASA video and I'm still looking for it) and he's going to absolve everyone of their heinous, shitty behavior. And why? Because they believe in Jesus. WAIT! Now it's JESUS we're all supposed to be following? Well, I guess we had all better check the words of Jesus a bit more carefully than Peter Sprigg has.

Peter Sprigg. Really? That's you're REAL NAME??? Gosh, that's the most truthful thing about you I've found yet, as your behavior is typical of the angry, small-dicked jerk stereotype. That's sarcasm, by the way...just so you don't get confused by the differences between make-believe and truth too. I'll wait until you're old enough and then maybe we'll discuss hyperbole and metaphors.

The one thing I can say the FRC seems to have a truthful grasp on is a portion of their motto, "FRC promotes the Judeo-Christian worldview as the basis for a just, free, and stable society."

Yeah, indeed.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Mar 28, 2008 10:53:39 AM

6. Just what kind of "research" is this Family Research Council doing and how are they supporting whatever facts they are presenting?

If this is a tax-exempt organization, don't we deserve real facts?

Is it too much to ask?

Posted by: Esther Blodgett | Mar 28, 2008 11:01:49 AM

7. On the other hand, it was almost . . . refreshing to hear such unvarnished and freely-offered bigotry. It's a good reminder of what prejudice really looks like: the FRC and their ilk don't want you here. They want you to go away. Disappear. Not be. And should you be so discourteous as to fail to evaporate, they want you to sit down and shut up and be neither seen nor heard.

They prefer magical thinking (e.g. we'll just go away and leave the country or suddenly be deported) to confronting reality head on.

Posted by: AG | Mar 28, 2008 2:07:14 PM