Ben Affleck | Kansas | News | Sacha Baron-Cohen | Sarah Silverman

Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno Screws Kansas Airport and Ben Affleck

Bruno

On Friday I posted about Sacha Baron Cohen and his Kansas escapades as gay Austrian reporter Bruno. Officials at Wichita's Mid-Continent Airport called Cohen's actions "unethical and highly inappropriate." And now there's video. Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

AffleckTurns out Kansas isn't Bruno's first victim. Ben Affleck was also fooled by Cohen.

According to SlashFilm: "Mike Walker of the National Enquirer reported the following on the Howard Stern Show on Thursday: Ben Affleck called comedian friend Sarah Silverman after completing a sit-down interview with a person he was told was a 'very famous openly gay fashion journalist'. Ben called the interview 'the weirdest sit-down he has ever had with a reporter' explaining that the interviewer’s (wholm he refered to as an 'idiot') first question was 'How Do You Like Niggers?' After a stunned silence, Silverman asked Affleck 'Was this guy’s name Bruno?' Then and only then did Affleck actually realize that the whole thing was a gag. There is no doubt that this interview will be featured in the final cut, which is currently scheduled to hit theaters in October 2008."

Watch Bruno's airport dance, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Sacha Baron Cohen Terrorizes Kansas Airport in Hotpants [tr]

Comments

1. Great! Give more midwesterners incontrovertible proof that all gays are screaming, fashionista fairies. (eye roll)

Thanks a lot, Sacha.

Bastard.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 31, 2008 10:45:51 AM

2. Hey Jeff,

get that stick out of your ass.

Signed,

Fairy

Posted by: you're dumb | Mar 31, 2008 10:58:16 AM

3. Oh, Jeff. Anyone who makes broad judgments about gay people based on one fictional fairy (played by a straight man) in hotpants followed by a camera crew in an airport probably isn't going to be on our side anyway.

Frankly, I'd much rather see Sacha prancing thru the airport than hear the inane cell phone calls of the porky business men who are usually strutting their stuff. Airport fairies should be mandatory.

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 31, 2008 10:59:13 AM

4. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 31, 2008 11:19:08 AM

5. The whole point of this character is to reveal people's deep seated feelings and beliefs about gay men. If you've watched any of the clips from his HBO show (widely available on YouTube) you will see how clever and subversive the character is.

I, for one, would much rather confront the fear of noncomformity head on than try to convince the people that fear and hate us that we are all "just like them."

Bravo Bruno!

Posted by: wetcnt | Mar 31, 2008 11:32:55 AM

6. What WETCNT said.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 31, 2008 11:42:03 AM

7. I can't wait to see this movie... Cohen is a genius!

Posted by: David B. | Mar 31, 2008 11:47:18 AM

8. Ooops....

I don't agree with WETCNT or PETERPARKER, I think Cohen's Bruno plays into reactions to foreigners and in this case effeminate men that are assumed to be gay. I'm for anything where everybody (including gay men) are challenged to deal with their knee-jerk instinct to react violently to effeminate men.

Battle on Bruno!!

Posted by: David B. | Mar 31, 2008 11:53:55 AM

9. Sacha is out to make more millions and nothing more. In this case he does it by putting on "gay face" (kinda like a minstrel show of grandpa's day) and playing to ignorant middle American homophobia. If any of you think this movie is going to do anything to STOP homophobia you're incredibly naive about what goes on in middle America.

Posted by: dezboy | Mar 31, 2008 11:59:18 AM

10. I would be offended if it weren't so damn funny!

Besides, I agree with the assessmemt that Sacha is a comic genius, and f8cking brave to boot. Everytime I happen catch a clip of Bruno I'm always worried that somebody is going to do him physical harm.

That said, I think that Sacha also has a genuine love for his Bruno persona.

Posted by: Banjiboi | Mar 31, 2008 12:27:36 PM

11. By asking Affleck "How do you like niggers", Bruno also is holding up a mirror on white gay racism.

Posted by: michael | Mar 31, 2008 12:42:20 PM

12. I got some negative feedback over my lack of humor re: homophobe Jimmy Kimmel's "I'm Fucking Ben Affleck" vid. In that vid, gay people were the joke to be laughed at. In Sacha's work as Bruno, he holds the mirror up to such cretins. The man is genius.

Posted by: John In Manhattan | Mar 31, 2008 12:51:02 PM

13. Ernie, airport fairies are mandatory. Otherwise Larry Craig would never get laid!

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 31, 2008 1:05:16 PM

14. DAVID B...I'm confused...it seems that you, WETCNT and I all believe that Cohen uses the Bruno character to shine a light on homophobia and then basically hold the homophobes up to ridicule once the film is broadcast...so, how is it that you then say you don't agree with me and WETCNT?

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 31, 2008 1:41:20 PM

15. DAVID B., you DO agree with PETER & WETCNT. You still sipping after the weekend? (I'm like that too, if I have any left in the bottle).

I'm still laughing over Bruno and the wrestling college boys during spring break in Florida. You're right, BANJIBOI, Sacha is fearless.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 31, 2008 1:58:55 PM

16. Yeah, Derrick.

I only WISH I had the nerve to try and pull that off.

Well, like you said, if I'd polished off a bottle or two, MAYBE....:-)

Posted by: Banjiboi | Mar 31, 2008 2:37:10 PM

17. Everyone thinks Cohen is funny until they are victims of his gags on camera. Then they call a lawyer.

Posted by: Mimi | Mar 31, 2008 4:19:16 PM

18. Ha, you're right, Paul R.! I stand widely corrected. I bet Larry's fairies weren't dressed quite like Bruno, however? But when I perfect Larry's "wide stance" technique, I hope to find out for sure.

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 31, 2008 4:34:49 PM