Million Fag March Targets Fred Phelps’ Westboro Baptist Church

Hundreds protest Fred Phelps and his church [ksn]
Marching in Protest [27 news]
Hundreds protest peacefully against Westboro Baptist Church [ktka]

Clips via Good As You.

Previously
‘Million Fag March’ to Target Westboro Baptist Church [tr]

Comments

1. AggieCowboy says

Is it just me or are they starting to sound more and more like a Doomsday Cult? While reading that blog blurb I was powerfully reminded of David Koresh (Branch Davidians) and Jim Jones (People’s Temple).

Of course, probably doesn’t help that every time I see a pic of Daddy Phelps, I can’t help but see him as the creepy minister from Poltergeist.

2. Mark Windsor says

400 might be not exactly one million, but, hey, look on the bright side. 400 is much more that hatemonger Phelps can muster for one of his demos …

3. Mike the Cop says

Sad day for Gay Americans when a group of so called Community Members lower the bar and call themselves “Fags”. If anyone called them “Fags” while they were marching they would have dialed 911 and asked for the Police to file a Hate Crimes Report and told the press they were harrased.

Harvey Milk is rolling over in his grave!

4. Dawn in Maine says

I’m with MIKE THE COP on this one. My guess is the organizers are unaware of where the term “fag” comes from in relation to gay men. There is much discussion around the origin of the term, but it is a widely accepted theory that it comes from the medieval use of “bundles of faggots (small sticks)” to light the fires set to burn witches, heretics and homosexuals at the stake. It also evolved into derogatory slang for a weak man or a servile person.

The “One Million Queer March” might have been better, but I guess the organizers wanted to use Phelps’ own words against him. I would have preferred something called “Love March” or the “God Does Not Hate Anyone (even Fred Phelps) March”.

Good effort by the marchers, though! 400 people confronting a lunatic is still a wonderful thing.

5. SBF says

The “Fags” name was undoubtedly a reference to Phelps’ continual use of the term. Remember when Queer was a derogatory epithet? We’ve since regained the power of that word. We should do the same with “fag.”

418 was the count we were given at the end of the march. I’m proud to have been a part of it. I just twice as many people show up next year!

Thanks for mentioning it, Andy!!

6. Death2Bigots says

That second video is boooooring… Needs moar ‘Rick Roll’ and 4chan memes for the epic lulz. Taint their message with completely unrelated random things and pieces from the Bible they wouldn’t possibly agree with, such as the story of Jepthah sacrificing his daughter in Judges 11:29-40. Or the part where it says Slavery is A-OK, 1 Peter 2:18. Here, have some of my parody signs (and no, I don’t really hate furries, but I think it would be hilarious if WBC tried to protest a Furry or Anime convention, it would make them look all the more retarded:

7. TNT says

Though I agree with their message against the WBC fucktards. Children shouldn’t be brought to these sort of demonstrations for fear of harm from any sadistic anti gay passersby/motorists.

8. Chris says

Hey Mike The Cop. The usage is more of a sarcastic take. Think of blacks and their transformation of the N-word. Like Lenny Bruce once said, “It’s the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness.” If we over-use the word, it loses its original hateful meaning. Fag can become a term of comradery, like “Yo, whuddup my faggots.”