Jeff Whitty | News | Ryan Philippe | Television

Avenue Q Scribe Jeff Whitty Offers Jay Leno His 'Gayest Look'

UPDATE: There's now a whole website!

LenoYou may remember the clip I posted last week of Ryan Phillippe's appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in which, after mocking Phillippe's first acting role as a gay teen on a soap, Leno pointed at the camera and asked Phillippe to give his gayest look.

You may also remember that in April 2006 Avenue Q scribe Jeff Whitty challenged Leno on his mockery of gay people. Whitty's challenge, in which he wrote Leno a letter which was followed up by a half-hour chat, was picked up by mainstream news outlets.

Well, Whitty got word that Leno was up to his old tricks again, so he's published another letter to the comic on his site, along with a photo of his gayest look, which you can see AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's Whitty's gayest look:

Whitty

You can read his new letter to Leno here.

Comments

1. funny, when I read this yesterday I was thinking 'gayest look"? and I instantly gave BOTH fingers as my gayest look. perhaps he'll ask Will Smith to give his best Niggerish Look when he's on next.

Posted by: haxby | Mar 25, 2008 2:02:47 PM

2. My take, Leno is so formulaic in everything he does. Talk about a too-tightly wrapped package!! I'm surprised he doesn't get sick of his own schtick.

Posted by: Dan B | Mar 25, 2008 2:10:24 PM

3. In the case of interviews, I think Leno asks only publicist approved questions, though I guess if he doesn't care if the celeb comes back or not he'll dig in a little deeper. Many of this guests seem very uncomfortable. It's really his monologue and skits that are annoying. He's always trying to identify as black too, suggesting he prefers a super macho self-persona.

Posted by: anon | Mar 25, 2008 2:12:46 PM

4. So very right, and so very nicely put. For those who have noticed, as have I, that Whittey is smokin', a whittless.com there is an easter egg of him shirtless. Quite the treat. Here's a hint - he's a real doll!

Posted by: joe mama | Mar 25, 2008 2:19:26 PM

5. Yeah Paul, I feel you. And I agree.

But I gotta admit, I did love the old skit featuring Dana Carvey as Lyle, the Effeminate Heterosexual.

Oh, and now I must officially Whitty to my growing list of favorite gay blogs.

Posted by: Banjiboi | Mar 25, 2008 2:57:26 PM

6. I love every single thing Jeff Whitty does from the time he wakes up in the morning until the time he falls into a drug-induced sleep.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Mar 25, 2008 3:11:34 PM

7. mr. whitty is on my heroes list.

Posted by: nic | Mar 25, 2008 3:53:39 PM

8. Extraordinary, ANON & HAXBY, you managed to make this thread go racially offensive.

HAXBY, it is understandable to equate the word "nigger" with "faggot", but to equate it with "gay"?

HAXBY, I could reel off a slew of racial insults to white people and white gays that you haven't heard in your twenty-something (or thirty-something years) on this earth; but Andy Towle has been a fair and patient host. I'm not going to abuse his hospitality.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 25, 2008 4:31:19 PM

9. Good for you Whitty! Oh, and I checked out the site, whitless.com and also checked out the shirtless picture. Whitty is definitely very hot. Brains, looks and personality, a triple threat. I stopped watching Leno after his first week on the air. Have tried to watch a couple of times since, but he makes me physically sick. Not funny and really creepy. To me Conan is no better. I just wish Craig Ferguson was on in Leno's time slot. To me, Ferguson is funny!

Posted by: Bob R | Mar 25, 2008 5:15:25 PM

10. Get Leno outta there so we can get Conan in!

Posted by: Paul | Mar 25, 2008 5:28:09 PM

11. Actually, Derrick, you should be upset about Leno's painful attempts to self-identify with blacks, I guess because the stand up circuit was really "rough" in the 1970's, very hip and urban and all that. It's his fantasy, not mine. He doesn't book a lot of black guests though, nor have rap artists on. Hmmm....

Posted by: anon | Mar 25, 2008 5:32:41 PM

12. Leno also made at least one joke per night after the Larry Craig incident, usually about some kind of homo sex, with that nervous laugh that only someone who has experienced it and is trying to hide it can have.

Posted by: Jojo | Mar 25, 2008 6:11:09 PM

13. I know this won't be popular but it's typical to hear gay people get bent out of shape over a joke and then retaliate with juvenile finger-waving. Why is it that gay people are allowed to play rough and tumble with straight women, straight men and ESPECIALLY LESBIANS, cracking every 7th grade joke and to their faces? It's a joke. It's meant to hit home. Often they are at someone else's expense and, most of the time, they miss. But cry me a river. And if you don't like something because it's demeaning, dehumanizing, or in bad taste, you'll really get the point across with the finger. Yeah. Everybody bows down to 12 year old bad girls. Oh and if this dude was fat, 50 and bald, I'm so sure he'd still get the thread of "you go girl" and "my hero".

Posted by: Yoursister | Mar 25, 2008 6:47:52 PM

14. The reason Leno is so on gays is that,even if he wanted,he is to ugly to be gay.Can anybody see that lower jaw in drag?Huu,puke,puke,puke.
    And, yes, Jeff is cute.

Posted by: Oscar | Mar 25, 2008 7:41:59 PM

15. It's time for Jay to go, and thank god his days are numbered. He needs to go away and play with his cars.

Posted by: mhk | Mar 25, 2008 8:39:54 PM

16. Aren't we the hypocrits? Sure Leno gets childish in some of his remarks, but look at comedians as a whole. For the past several years, comedians get their laughs by demoralizing people, and we think it is funny until it hits home. Think of all the Michael Jackson jokes, how about Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Presidents, Vice Presidents, politicians as a whole, lawyers, doctors, etc...the list goes on and on. Leno is not alone in this. Letterman went after Paris Hilton when he had her on his show after she left the pokey. Everyone thought that was funny, but of course that is OK because she deserved it, right? The days of telling a joke, with a story is gone. Go for the quick jabs, the Henny Youngman one liners. Bill Cosby is one of the few that can tell a story and make you laugh. For the rest of the comedians, if it isn't demoralizing, dirty, and throw in sexual innuendo's (all usually about someone famous), they wouldn't survive. What use to be regarded as 'blue' humor is now the norm.

Red Skelton told a story about when he was on stage, and a woman walked up to him and stated that she had found a purse in the ladies room. Well, Red, being the kind man that he was, asked her name. She replied, Helen Hunt. Red, told her to hold onto the purse and he would make an announcement. So, just before continuing his act, he stated he made the announcement: "Ladies, a purse was found in the womens restroom. Please check to see if you have yours. If you think that you may have lost your purse, go to Helen Hunt for it."

You don't find that kind of comedy anymore.

Posted by: MP | Mar 25, 2008 9:49:08 PM

17. Re Haxby: Lord when will these children learn!?

Posted by: Giovanni | Mar 25, 2008 9:56:30 PM

18. Comedy is comedy, but Leno wasn't making jokes here. I'd cut him slack if he were. He was just being an ass.

I don't get Leno, and I don't get his fans, but he is not an equal opportunity asshole. If anything he's smarmy. What pissed of Whitty was his unquestioned assumptions that playing gay is embarrassing. Leno's just an idiot.

As for Whitty, I've thought he was hot from the first moment I laid eyes on him. And now...

Posted by: David in Toronto | Mar 25, 2008 9:57:43 PM

19. This show totally ROCKS! So glad this show is back! Check out blogs related to returning shows at Richromances.com, there are many hollywood celebs and beautiful people are dating and chatting~~~I am so exciting about it.

Posted by: Mariee | Mar 25, 2008 10:45:10 PM

20. Red Skelton?

Posted by: MHK | Mar 25, 2008 10:46:40 PM

21. Fucking Brilliant!

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Mar 26, 2008 2:29:21 AM

22. JAY LENO IS THE EMBODYMENT OF OLD LATE NIGHT TV WITH GRAY HEADED FAT MEN TRYING TO HOLD ON LONG AFTER THE LAUGHTER HAD DIED.
    SAD SICK HUMOR TO A SADDER AND SICKER PUBLIC.
    WALTER