News | Oklahoma | Sally Kern

BigGayDeal.com

An Update on the Anti-Gay Sally Kern Saga

Sally_kern

Last Friday I posted the secretly-taped diatribe against homosexuality which Oklahoma State Representative Sally Kern thought she was delivering to no more than 50 people. It has become a viral YouTube phenomenon. Kern's bigoted rant against gays and copies of it have been viewed well over half a million times. I've reposted the audio as well as a statement Kern released defending herself AFTER THE JUMP, in case you want to get angry again.

Here's an update on the Kern story.

On Monday, the Dallas News reported that Kern had received over 3,000 emails and hundreds of telephone calls, some containing death threats.

Said Kern, who is the wife of a Baptist minister (which explains a lot): "I was talking about an agenda. I was not talking about individuals. They have the right to choose that lifestyle. They do not have the right to force it down our throat. I have never said hate speech against anybody. I would never do that."

Tulsa World reported the number of emails Kern had received at 5,000: "Most of the communications were critical, and several contained language that Kern said she has never heard before. The lawmaker related some of the e-mails to Republican caucus members in a closed meeting Monday. She later said the group gave her a standing ovation."

Kern believes she has the first amendment right to defame an entire group of people. Said Kern, in her statement released yesterday: "To put this simply: As a Christian I believe homosexuality is not moral. Obviously, you have the right as an American to choose that lifestyle, but I also have the right to express my views, and my fellow Oklahomans have the right to debate these issues."

Laura Belmonte, president of the Tulsa group Oklahomans for Equality, responded to that defense: "'I find it particularly interesting that she (Kern) is invoking freedom of speech for these remarks,' Belmonte said, noting that Kern sponsored a bill a few years ago to restrict access to library books that might contain gay or les bian themes or information."

Kern has vowed not to apologize.

Yesterday, GLAAD called on the media to hold Kern accountable for her remarks.

Said GLAAD President Neil Giuliano: "This type of hateful and defamatory language from our public officials is completely unacceptable. GLAAD calls on its members and allies to stand together to hold elected officials like Kern, pledged to serve all the people, accountable for promoting hatred and bigotry. Media have a responsibility to cover Kern's ugly remarks, not only to hold her accountable for her misinformed, inaccurate claims about gay and lesbian people, but also to bring to light the anti-gay attitudes and beliefs that are still all too common in our country, Kern's hateful assertions highlight the need for media to examine how the anti-gay attitudes of elected officials impact their diverse constituencies."

Listen to the infamous audio clip and read the statement Kern issued yesterday, AFTER THE JUMP...

***STATEMENT FROM SALLY KERN***

OKLAHOMA CITY - State Rep. Sally Kern (R-Oklahoma City) issued the following statement today in response to the criticisms of homosexual activists who have objected to a recent speech she gave on their efforts to promote their agenda at both the federal and state level.

"To put this simply, as a Christian I believe homosexuality is not moral. Obviously, you have the right as an American to choose that lifestyle, but I also have the right to express my views and my fellow Oklahomans have the right to debate these issues.

"In recent years homosexual activists have begun to aggressively promote their agenda through the political process, often providing substantial financing to candidates who agree with their views, including many running for state legislative races. National publications such as Time, The Atlantic and USA Today have noted that trend. That is their right, just as it is my right to voice opposition to their agenda, which I have been asked to do at several public forums in recent months. That's what democracy is all about. It appears some homosexual activists believe only one group is allowed a voice in this debate. I disagree.

"A vigorous debate on an issue is not 'hate speech' - it's free speech. I have made clear my opposition to the agenda of homosexual activists, but I have never endorsed or supported any hateful action targeting individuals on the other side of this debate and never will. The fact that many gay rights activists claim anyone opposing their agenda is engaging in 'hate speech' says more about them than me.
"Most Oklahomans are socially conservative and believe marriage is a sacred institution, the union of one man and one woman, and that the traditional family is worth protecting and preserving. When I campaigned for office, I promised my constituents to stand up for those values, and I do not apologize for keeping my word."

***END OF STATEMENT***

Capitol Address:
2300 N. Lincoln Blvd. Room 332
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
(405) 557-7348.

District Address:
2713 Sterling Ave.,
Oklahoma City, OK 73127.

Email: [email protected] or [email protected]

Comments

1. She got dem crazy eyes.

Posted by: Will | Mar 11, 2008 11:51:19 AM

2. i dunno. she looks pretty dykey to me.

Posted by: alguien | Mar 11, 2008 12:08:44 PM

3. First, and self-respecting gay person will stop paying taxes until we have FULL equality.

Second, to exercise MY First Amendment rights, I will send Oklahoma Representative Sally Kern a piece of dog shit to the following addresses:

2300 N. Lincoln Blvd., Room 332, Oklahoma City, OK 73105 (Capitol Address)

or

2713 Sterling Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73127 (District Address)

Posted by: John | Mar 11, 2008 12:38:15 PM

4. I sent her an email allright! Mine must have been one of the ones that contained "language" she's never heard before. I think that means it's time to take her head out of her ass?

I CC'd every other representative too, it took me about 1/2 hour but I got them all in there to hear my "language".

:-)

Posted by: Marc | Mar 11, 2008 12:45:14 PM

5. "Some poor guy named Steve Kern has been getting a boatload of her mail."

Mrs. Kern's husband's name is Steve Kern, pastor of Olivet Baptist Church.

I have my doubts that it's a coincidence.

Posted by: The Milkman | Mar 11, 2008 12:52:19 PM

6. Although I agree with Brad about free speech, Sally Kern is essentially yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre.

Here's the problem: she IS mouthing hate speech. She is putting out American Family Association and Focus On The Family "statistics", not to mention the viscious Conservapedia.com misinformation--all of which can be refuted quickly and proven false.

I regret that there are people who would stoop to her level and send her profane e-mails or death threats. The death threats are stupid because they can be traced by the FBI (FYI) and very counter-productive.

I sent her an e-mail but I simply pointed out every inaccurate statement she made in her "private talk" and refuted each one. I then told her she shames the very Lord she claims to "worship".

Check out the conservative blogs and the FOTF and AFA websites: she is close to becoming a martyr--which, of course, is what we DON'T want!

Regardless, she IS spewing hate speech--the kind of speech that inspires people to go out and stab, shoot, maim and kill gays and lesbians.

I have said it once and I will say it again to Sally Kern and to any and all who think like her: I do not have a "lifestyle". I have a life, given to me by The Creator.

THE ONLY PEOPLE I KNOW OF WHO HAVE CHOSEN THEIR LIFESTYLE ARE BORN-AGAIN CHRISTIANS. Gays and lesbians are born as such. Christians choose to be so. There is a world of difference.

Posted by: mike | Mar 11, 2008 1:29:52 PM

7. I have every confidence that Andy will keep us in the loop when this sad excuse for a human being is up for re-election. And I will have my checkbook ready to send her opponent a big, fat donation.
    I did it with Bob Casey and reveled in Senator Sanitarium's (sic) loss.
    Let her keep spouting, I think it only helps our cause.
    I so want to call her the c-word right now, but I'm resisting the urge to stoop to her level.
    It's disgusting that people choose to have a lifestyle like her's.

Posted by: Brad | Mar 11, 2008 1:44:43 PM

8. Brad

here here

Andy, please kep us all informed on any challangers during her re-elecion.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Mar 11, 2008 1:55:23 PM

9. These people ALWAYS claim that they are getting death threats but so far as I know NOT ONE of them has ever produced, for the public to see/hear, an actual email or recorded message containing a death threat.

Please don't buy into this often used and often BOGUS defense strategy without at least a bit of healthy scepticism.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 11, 2008 2:03:09 PM

10. I agree with Mike. I have never met any gays who have "chosen their lifestyle" and by that I mean choosing to be gay. It's not a conscious choice, but it perhaps a result of nature's "natural selection" process. But that's an entirely different subject. Christian's, especially the lunatic "born again" variety choose their religion and religious "lifestyle". I for one am more than sick of them ramming their chosen religious mythology and lifestyle down my throat at every turn. Christians, as are all religionists, are delusional people and need mental health counseling. They're crazy people, the more religious the more crazy. I agree with Diderot who observed; "Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." I for one would like to see the strangling begin!

Posted by: Bob R | Mar 11, 2008 4:19:06 PM

11. Why are religious zealots always such control freaks? It sounds like she couldn't control her son's sexuality and now all those years of built up anger/resentment are being spewed forth onto the GLBT community behind the facade of christianity. I hope an openly gay person challenges her for that seat and kicks her fat ass to the curb.

Posted by: SFshawn | Mar 11, 2008 4:50:44 PM

12. Great post and comments. Anyone who bitches about Andy's site being to much about pretty boys and fluff should look at this.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 11, 2008 7:53:47 PM

13. Don't send the bitch death threats - that just encourages them. Do send thoughtful, well written letter describing your personal outrage.

Posted by: fanboi | Mar 11, 2008 8:42:18 PM

14. FANBOI, I'm telling you, it won't matter how sweet, polite and civil your message to her is, her potical spin doctors will still claim that she is getting death threats.

This is a defense strategy that is probably completely bogus.

If she has us taking her at her word just imagine how stirred into a frenzy the fundies and wing-nuts are getting. She got a STANDING OVATION from her fellow OK Republicans today. She is now seen as a victim and a martyr and all because she's lying through her teeth about these supposed death threats.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 11, 2008 8:49:31 PM

15. I wonder if she's aware that the bible was used when "christians" wanted to deny women their right to vote. I'd like to think as a species we are advancing. But, look at our world... religions are still fighting for power, money and world dominance. Why, you can't even run for president without assuring the lemmings that you're one of them. And if you say anything about the 3 month holiday of christmas, they claim you're attacking them and their right to make you listen to lousy music at every god damned store. I don't just want separation of church and state, I want freedom from religion. Dear christians... stop pushing your lifestyle down our throat. Practice your "religion" quietly and shut the fuck up.

Posted by: Jonathan heart | Mar 11, 2008 11:01:28 PM

16. Slightly off topic but I wanted to respond to the idea that we choose to be homosexual as oppose to we are just born that way

I think we choose to be homosexual before we are born, as a spirit we want certain experiences and being homosexual allows us experiences being heterosexual doesn't.

I have found knowing this has made me feel more powerful about my sexuality, I own it rather than it being something that happened to me.

People like Sally have no power over us unless we give it to them and we do that by getting angry and abusing them, I am not American so to all of you who are, all the more power to you.

Peace

Posted by: bwr | Mar 12, 2008 9:29:16 AM

17. Just as I suspected (and said here twice) Ms. Kern LIED about receiving death threats.

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation reviewed ALL 7,000+ emails that Kern recieved and reported that NONE contained a death threat. She now admits that she didn't recieve any death threats. Of course NONE of the right wing and fundie networks or websites will report this the way they did the original lie. THAT would be unChristian.

It seems that it's ALWAYS OK for these homophobic fundamentalist "Christians" to lie when it suits their purposes.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 12, 2008 9:56:41 PM

18. do you have a link to the source that proves she made up the death threats - I'd like to spread that around

Posted by: fanboi | Mar 13, 2008 1:19:35 AM

19. We need to keep on this fight to rid America of Hate. Two many churches say they are true Christians but preach Hate. We were taught as children a song that says God loves Everyone because it says so in the Bible. Why is it that these so called Christians continue to preach Hate?

Posted by: Russ | Mar 13, 2008 10:34:59 AM

20. you can http://www.olivetbaptistokc.com/welcome.htmlemail the loving father at:

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 14, 2008 1:02:56 AM

21. MIKE: regarding: "And, in psychological and physiological terms, there is absolutely NO difference between the brain waves of a heroin user peaking on heroin and the brain waves of an evangelical christian in the throes of their self-induced "ecstasy"."...

Do you have sources on this?

I've long thought that humans have an inherent ability to get "high" or "ecstatic" and that this is frequently misinterpreted as "god speaking to them", or "the truth", or "the holy ghost".

It cannot be coincidence that all religions that insist they are the only truth fall back on this internal feelings as "proof".

One time I was a bit drunk at a biz function and I was suddenly surrounded by three members of a Christian family (I work in an industry with some evangelicals...they usually keep things to themselves, but they were drunk that night too). As they pressed me on accepting the Lord in, and pushed to me have a conversion right then and there, I actually began to feel a wild, tingling sensation around the edges. It was apparent that if I wanted to, I could completely give to the sensation and feel some sort of "holy ghost" ecstasy right then and there.

It was wild...who knows...maybe it was the "devil"!!

Anyway, if you have any links to studies comparing brain waves of drug users and religious zealots, I'd be fascinated.

Thanks.

Posted by: GreenpointGUY | Mar 14, 2008 7:42:27 AM

22. I live north of Tulsa, Oklahoma.
    This morning a local television station created a poll to see if viewers agreed or disagreed with Sally Kern. Please log on to kjrh.com and vote in the poll. It appears on the left hand side of the website.

Posted by: Owen | Mar 14, 2008 9:33:20 AM