Barack Obama | Eliot Spitzer | Ellen DeGeneres | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #259

JEREMIAH WRIGHT: Barack Obama's latest divisive pastor.

SHOW OFF: A woman with 21 different accents.

HARLAND WILLIAMS: Tells anti-gay joke on last night's Conan. Comes sandwiched within the Ellen clip.

WHAT WE WANT: Eliot Spitzer's prostitute is also a wannabe pop star.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. NIC, MICHAEL BEDWELL and others, gloat over Obama's misfortune now.

Sadly I agree that this could very well cost him the nomination.

Just promise me that when McCain wins the election in November you won't suddenly disappear from the Towleroad comment boards.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 14, 2008 9:29:11 PM

2. "If someone mentioned something that I thought was wrong..."

That's my point, you don't see any of it wrong. You use words like Obamoonie and talk about objectivity and bullshit all at the same time. I see it the way I see it because that's what you've wrote.
    I'm an Obama supporter for a variety of reasons, but I'm hardly a kool aid drinker either. I take points off for anyone belonging to a church like that, but I also don't believe in guilt by association.
    Obama has completely and totally denounced what this guy has said, and I absolutely believe that 90% of the people on here shocked and horrified don't care about this, but do care that it may work in Hillary's favor, so again, the fake outrage. One camp says one thing, then the other, back and forth while everyone stands back with their game faces on waiting to be "horrified" and "outraged." I truly disagreed with Ferraro, and she was out and it's over. Same here with this idiot Wright.
    I'm over it. Let's get these primaries seated and be done with it.

Posted by: hal | Mar 14, 2008 9:41:10 PM

3. There are reports coming out now that this was a calculated Swift Boat attack, with Sean Hannity as the hit man, launched to knock Obama out of the race before he won the nomination.

For those of you so happy about this because you feel it helps Hillary, how do you possibly explain why the right wingers, and the Limbaugh maniacs and the Swift Boat brigaids want so badly to have Hillary as the Democratic nominee? Do you think it's because they think she will be a better president? Because they think she will give them a better run for their money?

I don't.

But really, why do you guys think they are so gunning for Obama and promoting Hillary?

Does this not concern you at all?

It certainly concern me.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 14, 2008 9:48:13 PM

4. wow! just, fucking, wow! all we can hear are the sounds of crickets chirping in the dusk.

all of a sudden the wiener dogs that were nipping at ferraros's heels have turned tail. the yapping has stopped. i don't have to tap anyone with a rolled-up newspaper, or rub anyone's nose in it. ok, i could go on with this conceit, but i don't want to get too metaphysical on your asses.

this silence is creepy. apparently, rabid sexism and reverse racism is ok. but let us not talk about overt racism from a pathetic old man, who just happens to be obama's spiritual mentor, not on a fund-raising committee, mind you, but a FUCKING SPIRITUAL MENTOR! wake the fuck up! how can you demand respect when you give none?

i hesitate to use the term hypocrisy, but this is certainly the time. some of the apologias, or worse, the deafening silence, from some of you men(?) is astounding.

guys, this is why moderation is the goal. what have i preached (yeah, preached) over and over, mijitos? reason -- not false hopes or false prophets or empty promises --will prevail. the chickens always come home to roost. every time someone sets himself up as an ideal, he falls. and, i am not only talking about obama or spitzer.

what to do from here? obama is not ultimately resposonsible for what that old, racist fart has to say anymore than hillary is responsible for geraldine's comments or who gave drudge that photo. as i have said from the start, i will support any democrat in november. it serves no purpose to tear one candidate to raise the other up.

everyone disappoints, eventually. jfk, rfk, mlk were all snuffed before they could disappoint us. that is why obama invokes them and tries his darndest to evoke them. please, let us be reasonable. neither obama nor hillary are monsters, but neither are they saints. let's cut them -- and each other -- some slack.

Posted by: nic | Mar 14, 2008 10:30:45 PM

NIC, I'm not sure I understand what Geraldine Ferraro's statement and this incident have to do with each other. Are you saying that you now believe that Ferraro's comments were shameful afterall and that Clinton should have been held responsible for them or are you saying that Obama shouldn't be held responsible for Wright's words the same way you said Hillary shouldn't be held responsible for Ferraro's? I just want to be sure I understand your current position.

And speaking of crickets chirping, I've noticed that no one seems to want to touch my question about why so many people on the right are so anxious to have Hillary as the Democratic nominee?

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 14, 2008 10:52:43 PM

6. If you know the truth about Louis "Hilter was a very great man" Farrakhan you need go no further than watching this video to get what is wrong with the "Rev. Wright wasn't on fire when I sat down on him" disclaimer by Obama above.

Zeke...a "non-issue"??? Obama's "misfortune"????? Like Vince Foster Killer Hillary has been drugging Obama for the past 20 years and forcing him to attend the church of the guy who has been closely affiliated with Farrakhan since before Obama met him; and, according to OBAMA HIMSELF was warned BY WRIGHT HIMSELF from the beginning.

"In his 1993 memoir 'Dreams from My Father', Obama recounts in vivid detail his first meeting with Wright in 1985. The pastor warned the community activist that getting involved with Trinity might turn off other black clergy because of the church's radical reputation." - Chicago Tribune, Jan. 21, 2007.

Obama seemed to have forgotten that when he told a crowd "earlier this month...'I don't think my church is actually particularly controversial'. He said Rev. Wright 'is like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with', telling a Jewish group that everyone has someone like that in their family." - ABC News

Obama must have forgotten Wright's warning when he wrote the disclaimer above which also expects us to believe that OVER TWENTY-THREE YEARS he never "personally heard him preach [such things] while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation." Obama claims he missed Wright's NOTORIOUS post 9/11 sermon SEVEN YEARS AGO but surely SOMEONE he knew told him then about Wright saying,

"...the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

He MUST have heard about Wright telling his parishioners that "we should sing, "God damn America." And HOW is that a part of "the gospel of Jesus"?

And, contrary to what Obama claims above about Wright being on the verge of retirement last January, ABC News says Wright only announced his retirement last month.

But if he didn't feel the need to formally distance himself from Wright 15 months ago how about last November when Louis "The white man is our mortal enemy" Farrakahn received the "Rev. Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr. Lifetime Achievement Trumpeteer” Award and Wright said of him, “Minister Farrakhan will be remembered as one of the 20th and 21st century giants of the African American religious experience. His integrity and honesty have secured him a place in history as one of the nation’s most powerful critics." Again, see video above.

You sadden me, Zeke. You could say, "I'm sorry the man I admire is being hurt by his failure to disassociate himself with this man earlier, though I still think he's the better candidate. BUT he HAS been inconsistent if not hypocritical in what he has said about Farrakhan and Wright's extremes and Donnie 'Gay are trying to kill our children' McClurkin." But you did not. It's all apparently a "non-issue" to you.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Mar 14, 2008 11:01:58 PM

7. ZEKE,

what!? i don't think there is anything complex about what i said.

Posted by: nic | Mar 14, 2008 11:43:10 PM

8. There is no way Obama can win as president. This is just the tip of the iceberg. If you think that the Clinton campaign has been bad, wait until the ruthless R-pubs campaign against him. There probably is a lot more info. with his relationship with Tony Resnik that has yet to come forward with his trial.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 15, 2008 1:13:50 AM

9. This is no *swift boat attack* by the right. The right is just sitting back and watching the Democrats nuke eachother and taking notes.
    Some of you are so besotted with the Democrats that you don't pay attention to whats going on or keep up with what your opponets are doing. The right has already decided it wants badly to face Obama in November. Hillary is to close to indestructable for the right. While she has heavy negatives, she has shown the ability to kep coming back from the dead. McCain has already got his people set up to face Obama. The saving grace for Obama is the fact that McCain will not tolerate guilt by association and will not allow his people to attack Obama for this kind of thing. He is an honest man and knows only too well what it's like to have half truths spread about you without a way to answer.

Obama is beatable for McCain without this kind of crap and McCain knows it. This is from DEMOCRATS not the right. All of this stuff on Rev. Wright has been around for several years, plus the new stuff. Obama was warned by Wright and others that this could be a problem and chose to ignore it and when brought up a couple weeks ago brushed it off with a bullshit explanation. This isn't a slam dunk campiegn against Alan Keyes anymore, this is the big time and the media is getting tired of being ignored(Obama has almost no regular contact with the reporters that follow him around, and when he does it's highly controlled), and if there's anything reporters who think thy are mini Gods hate is being ignored. So they start looking for something to write about and this guy(Wright) is a news maker. Look no further than a bored, pissed off media, with a little help from Clinton's people for why this stuff is suddenly making headlines.

If you pay attention to what McCain had to say about this today, you will see that he will not tolerate it. But did you see any kind of statement from Clinton's people that even comes close to McCain's??

Sorry folks, but both of these people are very flawed candidates for different reasons and they are tearing eachother to bits. McCain is an open book, who meets with reporters almost everyday for hours, allowing them to ask him anything and nothing is off the record, when you add that to the fact that he is who he says he is and has been for 24 years in the Senate, and most voters will feel this is a no brainer and vote for him, over either of the children running for the Democrats.

Zeke.....your man came into the Senate, fresh from 6 years as a state legislator, never had a tough campiagn, ran for the Senate against a guy that barely got 30% of the vote. He's never had to really face a REAL opponent. He chose to run his campagn on a *hope and faith* theme. He has almost no positions on the really important issues, and please don't say./.....**go to his web site**.....there is nothing there of any impotance. All of those things he lists are just normal sign on's for bills or speech's he gave about subjects but has never actually sponsored legislation on. He has no paper trail because he didn't do a whole lot in the state Senate either. Then he comes to the U.S. Senate and 103 days after arriving announces for President....103 fucking days, who is he trying to kid here?
    When your a blank slate, voters tend to want a bit more(especially in the November election) and the media and your enemies can fill out that blank slate real fast if you aren't careful. Obama has made the mistake of waiting to long to disavow people like the Rev. Wright and McClurkin and has even refered to Farrikan as **Minister**, something only blacks who are friendly to him refer to him. He's got a real rough time ahead.

As to Farraro, what she said is the truth. Tell me that a white man or woman with no [prior record, 6 years in a state legislature, and 103 days in the Senate would be leading for the nomination of the Democrat party for President?? Please, be honest here and tell us the name of 1.

Posted by: Joshua | Mar 15, 2008 2:21:52 AM

10. Once again I find myself agreeing with Michael Bedwell. Only I won't vote for ANY Democrat just to vote Democrat.
    Right at the moment I prefer McCain, for reasons I gave a week or so ago. Anyother Republican and I would have to choose between Obama and Clinton. In which case, I would have to hold my nose, and carry a barff bag and vote for Clinton. Obama actually scares me, the Presidency is way to powerful a position to hand to someone who won't give you details of what he would do if he won. At least I know what Clinton would do in most issues.

Posted by: Joshua | Mar 15, 2008 2:30:06 AM

11. All of it, blown to bits. The 60s, seemingly gone in an instant.

I've got news for your kids, the country IS ruled by rich white people, Hillary doesn't know what it feels like to be called a nigger, to be called a name forever tying you to the helpless legacy of your ancestors. And guess what? Black Americans make up 12% of the country and 40 something percent fill the prisons. Its been proven that blacks are likely to get tougher sentences than whites for the same crime. Alcohol companies target heavily black populated areas and its written off as supply and demand.

And guess what? 9/11? The U.S military help the Taliban to its feet. And continuing to meddle in middle east business gives fascist lunatics like Bin Laden converts without having to seek em out.

The 60s blown into bits and blown into the air. Do some of you hate Obama so much that your willing to ressurrect the Dixiecrats and sign up happily? Has lunatic Obama supporters brought out the worst in some of you that you've moved to the right as if 2003 hadn't happen, when if you protested against war you were anti-american liberal scum?

Forget Clinton, forget Obama. Stop. Breathe. Remember who you are and where we're at. Don't let the decades of American Change die because of petty feelings. Whether you support Clinton or Obama, remember THIS WAR MUST END. Not only that but Americans, white, black, are losing their homes because of a ruthless market system. Latinos are being persecuted because many have dared to try and find a better life in this country.

I'd rather have Clinton (I support Obama) then to go through another 4 or 8 years of this.

Then again, maybe it'll take John McCain, who'll plunge this country further into the abyss to get your heads right. Then perhaps in 2016, we can elect another conservative republican who'll use the same arguments that tugs the haughty hearts of Americans. I welcome that. Sometimes it takes rock bottom to get us on the right tract. I think of the year 1929. By that time I'll be in Europe watching Rome burn. All because a black man and white woman decided to run for president in the United States of America.

Posted by: astonedtemple | Mar 15, 2008 3:38:03 AM

12. Joshua--

The Right, now fractured by McCain, has been salivating for years at the idea of running against their old nemesis, HRC. She'd reunite their party (against her), earn millions headlining fundraiser mailings, and present them with a target they've already practiced upon and have decades of scandal material on already. Obama's a far harder target, and more fraught with backlash against them if they go "too negative."

Rush Limbaugh and his ilk have been passionately pushing Republicans to vote for Hillary. Why? Like they really want her to win in the general? Of course not. They know she's the easier candidate to beat.

A vote for John "100 years (or more) in Iraq" McCain is for nothing other than Bush 3.0, who will select Supreme Court Justices to limit your rights for decades to come.

Posted by: Andy Niable | Mar 15, 2008 3:48:52 AM

13. (disgusted Al Gore sigh)

This is why the Democrats are perpetual losers. Listening to this nonsense makes me *want* to vote for McCain. Even though I don't agree with his agenda, at least he has one. All the Democrats have are baseless accusations of sexism / racism / homophobia.

You want to know why you lose, Democrats? You're afraid of everything and everyone. you try to please everyone, and in doing so, end up pleasing no one.

The Republicans hate Hillary Clinton. No kidding. Racist whites will not vote for Barack Obama. No kidding.

So what? That isn't an impediment to winning. If you're trying to woo Tom DeLay and racist whites, you've a lost cause. You're just too stupid to realize that you've already pissed off people normally on your side (like myself).

Posted by: John | Mar 15, 2008 5:44:08 AM

14. John, racist whites will not vote for Obama? With the latest revelations, nobody in their right mind will vote for him. Even the blacks are turning against him. I suggest your read the comments and check out the poll at the link below. 85% believe this is the end of the Obama campaign and I assure you it is. Obama has finished himself by clearing demonstrating that he has no judgment and by the company he keeps.

Posted by: Brandon | Mar 15, 2008 12:10:43 PM

15. Anderson Cooper 360 has devoted the whole show to this controversy. Guess who is on the panel on the side against Obama? Our friend and constant protector TONY PERKINS! The more I've watched this discussion the more I realize that this is nothing more than a Swiftboat campaign based on a non-issue.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 14, 2008 10:52:43 PM
    --------------------------------
    Sorry ZEKE. Racism of any kind is an issue. If this was a non-issue Obama would have stood by him, as he did in the past. The more people learned of his hate speech the farther Obama got, until he was no longer associated with his campaign. Too little too late. Obama is toast. It's either Hillary or McShame now.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 15, 2008 12:21:36 PM

16. Wow, MICHAEL BEDWELL, you're now picking up the endorsement of McMain supporters.

It seems to be a trend.

Between the legions of McCain supporters that are pushing for a Hillary nomination and the 25% of Hillary supporters who say that they will vote for McCain if their girl isn't the nominee, it seems pretty clear that the Clinton campaign is the McCain campaign's best friend.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 15, 2008 1:52:20 PM

17. Brandon, please! These reasonable people your talking about are all unthinking racists. First of all, your basing you knowledge on a poll and messageboard from Foxnews. These guys have been ragging on Obama AND Hillary since they began. These people are not in their right mind.

I repeat, do some of your hatred for Obama goes so deep that your turning into Dixiecrats?

Posted by: astonedtemple | Mar 15, 2008 4:01:25 PM

18. Reading the endless Hillary vs. Obama bickering and bitterness under all the posts pertaining to some perceived new fatal error on one of their parts makes my head want to explode. No wonder the right is delighted at the protracted Dem nomination process. McCain should be easy for either Obama or Hillary to beat but . . . I hope once this is over (something that seems impossible at the moment) we can rally behind whoever gets the nomination and look forward to what's truly at stake here.

As for gay supporters of McCain, what planet are you on? A vote for McCain is a vote against yourself. If you support the war in Iraq, and support having people who actively fight against your rights in power and appointed to the Supreme Court, then I guess he's your man, with whoever he picks as VP next in line to keep you in your place.

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 15, 2008 4:38:14 PM

19. ERNIE I have always said i will vote for whoever wins the nomination, and I still will. Now I will do so with holding my nose if Obama is the one. This is not the first time he has let us down. I can not buy for one minute that he never in over 20 years heard this kind of hate and racism form Wright. Hope and change just went out the door.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 15, 2008 6:27:39 PM

20. astonedtemple......did you scan all 2,400 comments on the link as I did? Obviously not. These are real people, not Fox News fabrication. It just continues to amaze me how the Kool Aide drinkers cannot examine the facts and reach honest rational conclusions. And independent thinking and questioning hard evidence does not make people racists. In-fact, the racists are people exactly like you. Those who refuse to realize that Obama is a total fraud with ties to lunatics like Wright and domestic terrorists like Ayers. It's the black way or the highway, right?

And if you had read the posts, you would note that dozens of people have picked up on the fact that Michelle Obama sounds very much like Wright. (I refuse to use the Rev. reference as that would be as fraudulent as he is.)

More than 140 million are projected to vote in November, more than twice the number voting in the primaries. Obama will loose to McCain in an unprecedented landslide. The Democrats will be committing suicide if Obama is the nominee. There is absolutely no way for him to win. And he should not win. The message of change sent via Obama's orations which have swept up the weak minded mean nothing to people of real intelligence. Many of us could see right through him from the beginning. Furthermore, he does not have the resume, experience or the connections to solve any of the major problems facing this country.

The current revelations clearing showing Obama's connections to hate and domestic terrorism make him the black version of Westborough Baptist Church. His book, "The Audacity of Hope" clearly ties him to Wright. And he is knowingly violating long standing laws against using non-profit churches for political fund raising and political speeches which he has been doing for over a year.

You can continue with the self delusion or accept the fact that Obama is yesterday's news.

Posted by: Brandon | Mar 16, 2008 8:07:32 AM

21. Brandon,

Why aren't you posting as Racist Johnny Lane anymore? I liked that screen name.

Posted by: 24play | Mar 16, 2008 11:31:54 AM

22. I does believes Michelle Obamas has run aways with dat preacher cuz nobody can find thems. They must be plannins a ways to saves Obama from the evil press peoples.

Posted by: Rodney Jackson | Mar 16, 2008 3:44:17 PM

23. Ah! That's more like it, Johnny. Don't feel as if you have to cloak your bigotry in borderline-rational discourse. Go ahead and let it all hang out. Embrace your inner scumbag.

I think it's good for Towleroad readers to see that some of the commenters here insisting that America is still too racist to elect a black man president are really just to cowardly to come right out and say what they really mean: "I'm way too racist to ever vote for a black man for president."

Brava to you, missy, for making the connection crystal clear.

Posted by: 24play | Mar 16, 2008 4:01:49 PM

24. I am so sorry that I missed out on posting on this thread earlier. Zeke, I will speak to why the repubs want Hillary to win the nomination, which is now almost mathmatically impossible; she CANNOT get elected! Plain and simple. Nearly half of the US population hates her and you cannot overlook the numbers.

However, I have not been a supporter of Obama from the beginning. To those that say he lacks experience, he became a senator for the first time in the same year that Hillary did. They are equal. Just because she slept with Bill in the Whitehouse, and apparently wasn't the only one, does not mean that she is more qualified.

I have posted against Obama, Clinton and "insane McCain" on Towleroad many times. I am NOT a fan of Clinton and I think everyone knows that, but Obama? There really is nothing of any substance to vote for this year, just like 2004! I cannot wait until the end of the Clinton/Bush years but Obama?

We have all heard Obama's campaign before have we not? Jimmy Carter rode into Washington promising hope and change and all he brought to the table was gas prices out of control, the Middle East in turmoil and holding US hostigages, the housing market in upheaval and foreclosures at an all time high! Sound familiar?! We already have that, again so why fan the flames!

I can close my eyes and pretend that Hillary would follow Bill's centrist financial policies, which I know that she will NOT, but I cannot close my eyes and pretend that Obama is not another Carter! Either way, we are not heading for anything positive. And that is why the repubs want Clinton to get the nomination. She is NOT ELECTABLE!!!

Posted by: RB | Mar 16, 2008 4:33:01 PM

25. 24PLAY, I think you NAILED it my friend.

As far as Rev. Wright's sermons go (and I think that's what this thread is supposed to be about), I think this blog at DailyKos said what I was trying to get at above but did it MUCH better.

RB, I agree with you about why the Republicans want Hillary to be the Dem. nominee.

As far as your fear that Obama would be another Carter; upon what do you base this fear?

Even if Obama was another Carter I would take that over McCain who is showing more and more by the day that he would be another George W. Bush.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 16, 2008 8:11:09 PM