Australia | I'm Gay | Melbourne | News | Peter Hitchener

10-Year Australian News Veteran Peter Hitchener: I'm Gay

Hitchener

Peter Hitchener, a top news anchor in Melbourne, Australia on National Nine News for the past 10 years, came out of the closet this weekend.

Said Hitchener: "I am a single person and given that we are on private issues of private life, I am choosing to share with you today that part of my life that I have not spoken about before: that I am gay. That is part of who I am and with that disclosure, or acknowledgment, I just also need to say I am still the person I was yesterday. I am still the same person and I remain committed to my job and my family and my service and so on. It is not something that has ever come up before. I have never been asked about it before. There is never a right time, or an easy time, to talk about these personal issues, but this is the right time to say it and to move on."

Hitchener is Nine's prime fighter [news.com.au]

Comments

1. "Paging Anderson Cooper, Paging Anderson Cooper..."

Posted by: daveynyc | Apr 7, 2008 3:51:23 PM

2. He's neither young nor cute, so nobody here will care, I'm sure.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 7, 2008 4:07:39 PM

3. I say good for him even though I call bullsh*t on his claim that it's "never come up before". No single man of his age can say "it's never come up before". Every time someone asks if you're married, it's come up. Everytime someone asks you if you have a girlfriend, it's come up. Every time someone asks you WHY you're not married or don't have a girlfriend, it's come up. Everytime you've been asked "So Hitch, what're you doing this weekend?", it's come up.

I look forward to the day when gay people don't have to tell friends and family who have loved and respected us for years, and should know it without saying, "I am still the person I was yesterday. I am still the same person and I remain committed to my job and my family and my service and so on", right after they tell them that they're gay. Of course that day will only come when people's knowledge, experience and intelligence finally becomes stronger than their ignorance and susceptability to anti-gay misinformation.

I think we still have quite a ways to go to get to that point; especially in this country.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 7, 2008 4:08:55 PM

4. I care Scott! :-)

I think it's great. Just goes to again show the general public that 'we' come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and indeed ages.

Posted by: Gregus | Apr 7, 2008 4:17:18 PM

5. No. Not cute at all . . . .But definitely quite handsome!

Posted by: phredd! | Apr 7, 2008 4:31:01 PM

6. Considering that Australia is behind the US in terms of gay rights, this is very brave, but here in the US he's just not a known figure. I'd agree that it puts pressure on US news anchors to follow suit (particularly given the leftwing sentiments of the media) but I think here in the US advertisers would not support a gay anchor and demand that they be removed once they come out, plus I think that the speaking engagement tours, where a lot of money is to be made by media types, often caters to rightwing business groups who would be hostile to gay anchors (or at least unwanting of).

Posted by: anon | Apr 7, 2008 4:34:14 PM

7. Actually, he is rather handsome - in an older-daddy-bear-kinda way.

Posted by: banjiboi | Apr 7, 2008 5:19:26 PM

8. um, yeah some us anchor should come out, I am sure it would not hinder their success...in fact remember that one guy, um, what was his name? thomas something?? yeah, ever since he came out, he's just gotten more popular... um, what show is he on again? I can't seem to find him.......

Posted by: rich | Apr 7, 2008 6:26:42 PM

9. Rich - we in Boston do have a local news anchor who came out years ago, Randy Price. From the linked page about Peter Hitchener it sounds as if they are roughly equivalent job-wise. Here's his bio at:
    It did cause a small tempest when he came out - especially as the disclosure was linked to a serious drinking problem.
    I think both Randy and Peter are rather handsome ...

Posted by: dave | Apr 7, 2008 7:09:40 PM

10. was this on purpose?

Peter Hitchener, a *top* news anchor in Melbourne, Australia

Posted by: Alan | Apr 7, 2008 7:34:02 PM

11. good for him.

Posted by: ken | Apr 7, 2008 9:35:40 PM

12. ...of course, because you are gay and out, you have the right to tell others when to do it. this, despite the fact you know nothing of these people you judge so harshly.

classy.

Posted by: dattexas | Apr 8, 2008 1:01:29 AM

13. I'd do him. But then, I am almost forty...

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 8, 2008 2:15:11 AM

14. Zeke, I would imagine what Hitchener meant was that in a public situation it never came about. People in Australia don't tend to care about the personal lives of our newsreaders.

Dave, a more apt comparison would be whoever anchors the evening news on NBC/ABC/NBC for ten years. I'm not sure who that would be though.

Posted by: Glenn | Apr 8, 2008 4:23:47 AM

15. Oh wow, good for him!
    I really like Peter Hitchener, he's a great newsreader. And Channel 9 really is the best commercial Australian news network (in my opinion).
    It's strange isn't it that I've only just heard about this on an American blog, yet I've been watching the news here in Australia all weekend. Weird.
    Then again, we already have one well-known and out newsreader, the very spunky Anton Enus, so maybe no-one thinks it's a big deal anymore. Which would be great.

Posted by: Chaq | Apr 8, 2008 8:07:14 AM

16. There's also Ian Ross, the newsreader for Channel 7 in Sydney, although I don't know if he's 'out'.

Posted by: Murray | Apr 8, 2008 9:25:21 AM

17. I think gay people who come out should stop saying that they are still the person they were before, because that suggests that people are supposed to think all kinds of 'other' things that are not so nice by the fact they are gay.

I live in Canada. Most people don't give a shit whether you are gay here anymore. In fact, it's a social drawing card it seems among straight people! (we tell the best jokes, have the best parties, bring excitement to their parties and dinner parties).

Posted by: Noel | Apr 8, 2008 8:02:38 PM

18. It's been an open secret for years that Peter Hitchener ( Hitch ) is a 'bum bandit' or 'pillow biter' as we like to refer to them down here in 'Oz'. In fact, he's commonly known in Gay circles as 'Heather'. And likes to pork young boys of around 15 or 16. At least that what my sources tell me.

Posted by: Kevin Cobber | Feb 21, 2009 2:23:06 PM

19. Hello
    really you are brave man to say that about yourslef
    i respcet you and i like you
    you are so handsome man
    many greeting from Syria
    Mohmmad

Posted by: Mohammad | Mar 16, 2010 5:06:52 PM

20. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Old 'Hitch' has been taking ( and giving ) it up the 'khyber' ( Khyber Pass-Arse ) for years. Big deal.

Posted by: Andrew clarke | May 26, 2010 8:34:39 AM