Fashion Men | Marc Jacobs | News

BigGayDeal.com

Marc Jacobs Glad He's No Longer 'Soft and Blubbery'

Marc Jacobs gives a long interview to GQ, revolving mostly around his transformation from "the soft, blubbery Marc Jacobs" into the Jacobs he is today, who, as we know, is not shy about showing off the fruit of his efforts.

JacobsOn his pre-transformation days: "I didn’t care what I looked like, because I knew I’d be on the floor picking up pins or drawing all day. I thought, Who cares about my appearance? They only care about what I’m making."

On feeling 'different' as a kid: "When I went to sleepaway camp, I just kind of wanted to sit there and make an ashtray or do a lanyard necklace or paint my jeans. And then to stand there and not be chosen for a baseball team—it’s like, force me to do something and then don’t choose me to do it. Okay, what am I supposed to enjoy about that process? How am I supposed to feel good about myself with all that going on?"

On hitting the gym: "The thing I love about the gym is not having to make choices. My trainer says, ‘You’re gonna lift this; you’re gonna do that ten times.’ Okay, great—just tell me what to do and I’ll do it. It’s the same thing with my nutritionist. All I have to do is follow instructions. I love that. This is not about ‘Would it be better in red or blue?’ There isn’t a lot of abstract, circular thinking involved. And it’s great. Those times are really nice for me."

On cosmetic surgery: "I’ve learned at this point to never say never to anything. I look at Tom [Ford] and he looks great. Whatever he’s doing works for him. And I don’t know if he does anything, but I’m not opposed. Whatever makes me feel good, I want more of. If work is going well, I want to do more clothes. If the gym thing is working for me, I want to be bigger. If getting my hair cut makes me look younger, I want to play with the color. So I could see myself slipping down that road so quickly."

On how his nose swelled once when he ran into a glass door: "It got so swollen here (on the bridge), and I thought, This is so hot."

On people who judge him: "I don’t feel like I’m in crisis, and I don’t know that it’s the middle of my life. Why is there this division all of a sudden between people in support of me and people against me? How did this happen? I haven’t done anything to anybody! I look at Karl Lagerfeld and John Galliano—everybody has their shtick. And just because this wasn’t my shtick two years ago, it’s a problem."

Marc Jacobs Doesn't Give a F--- [gq]

Comments

1. he's so combustible.

Posted by: A.J. | Apr 16, 2008 9:59:57 AM

2. He is sleazy and gross and his clothes suck!

Posted by: mike | Apr 16, 2008 10:16:35 AM

3. yawn... a sad media whore is a sad media whore whether gay, straight, stupid, et al

Posted by: David B. | Apr 16, 2008 10:30:46 AM

4. What a self-obsessed little prick. Pity he doesn't actually disappear up his own arse.

Posted by: atheist | Apr 16, 2008 10:34:03 AM

5. So when are we going to get the obligatory Tom Ford update?

Enough about these vapid designers already.

Posted by: Roscoe | Apr 16, 2008 11:02:35 AM

6. I wonder who asks him to smoke, make an ass out of himself and date age inappropriate hustlers?

Posted by: ggreen | Apr 16, 2008 11:06:51 AM

7. Here we go again. Another queen who thinks that going to the gym makes them instantly attractive. Smoking is very unattractive and will age him in spite of his "workout" routine.

Posted by: Brad | Apr 16, 2008 11:43:49 AM

8. It's too bad that he creates such amazing high heels...I have to give him props for that at least!

Posted by: shoesmitten | Apr 16, 2008 11:53:00 AM

9. While I applaud Marc's giving attention to his health and body, I must say that if Marc Jacobs was a true believer in healthful living he would STOP SMOKING! His continuing to puff makes all his "work" on his body look like window dressing.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Apr 16, 2008 12:12:40 PM

10. Amazing what tina and cigs can do for you!

Posted by: Shane | Apr 16, 2008 12:56:17 PM

11. I must have missed something. Why does everyone hate Marc Jacobs? He seems really open and down-to-Earth to me. He's in a business where he needs to promote himself, so he does interviews and talks about his life. Do you think the mags that interview him have come to hear his views on tax policy or biofuels? I'm pretty sure what's going on here is some of that bitterness that Obama was talking about.

Posted by: Paul | Apr 16, 2008 1:21:55 PM

12. It's healthy to work out, it's unhealthy to obsess about it and think that self-worth is an instant benefit from looking good. It's a good way to get laid in a superficial world. Tina and cigs - now that's funny.

Posted by: BryanD | Apr 16, 2008 2:08:22 PM

13. Good for him. I am happy for him that he is ahppy, and at no one elses expense. Which is more than can be said of some of the other commentators. Shut up and let the man do what he wants, if you hate him, don't buy his product. Perhaps going to the gym yourself would release some of that anger and hatred. I want everyone to be happy, he seems to have earned it.

Posted by: John In Texas | Apr 16, 2008 2:10:16 PM

14. Oh yeah, this site is full of haters... it's so good to hate people more successful than we are. Somewhere along the line we got the English disease and started pissing on everybody and everything that made us feel inferior... Get a life Atheist, Roscoe, G Green, dickheads the lot of you...

Posted by: Toby | Apr 16, 2008 2:12:32 PM

15. He doesn't make me feel even remotely inferior actually Toby. Nor do I resent him his success. On the contrary. I just can't stand people whose only topic of conversation is ME ME ME; who think the pathological minutiae of their lives is inherently interesting just because they are successful. Its not. Oh and I have a life thank you but I don't assume everyone wants to hear about how I feel about my circuit training.

Posted by: atheist | Apr 16, 2008 3:50:38 PM

16. His last years spring collection was the "rehab" collection by people that worked for him. To bad the both didn't work out for him.z

Posted by: z | Apr 16, 2008 4:00:03 PM

17. Move on bitches...

Posted by: DRAY | Apr 16, 2008 9:14:41 PM

18. Leave the guy alone, what else has he got in his life just like Tom Ford only himself. How sad.

Posted by: butch | Apr 18, 2008 7:13:49 AM

19. This guy should paste 'new money' on his forehead and get it over with.
    I'm not bitter, Paul, I'm an elitist.
    People aren't complaining about him because he's 'successful' - his problem is that he comes across as quite oafish and he could use some refinement.

Posted by: UnionStayshyn | Apr 18, 2008 8:31:38 PM

20. I guess the fact that this blog is Andy's must have missed some of you. This is his place to put what HE finds interesting and intriging, not what YOU want to read. If you dont like it, then start your own blogs and quit bitching about what is posted here.
    And if you HAD read the whole thing, you would have noticed that it comes from GQ, who asked him for an interview, and I am sure that it was GQ who asked about his weight loss, and everything else some of you beyotches are always complaining about.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 20, 2008 2:06:30 PM