Bullying | Great Britain | Music Video | News | Reality TV

Bullied Boy Gets Revenge on Britain's Got Talent Audition

Andrew_johnston

Is it the second coming of Paul Potts? Watch 13-year-old Andrew Johnston perform "Pie Jesu" at his first audition for Britain's Got Talent...

"I get bullied a lot...at school. I've been bullied all my life since I was six. My mates have been telling me to leave the singing. They don't like that kind of music."

Simon Cowell asked Johnston how he deals with the bullying. Said Johnston: "I carry on singing."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

This should start your week off right.

Comments

1. wow.. was not expecting that at all. Thanks for the good cry this morning.. haha. Incredible.

Posted by: Eric | Apr 14, 2008 8:55:45 AM

2. Just stunning. I too spontaneously burst into tears of joy.

Posted by: rudy | Apr 14, 2008 8:57:27 AM

3. Quick! Chop his balls off before his voice changes!

Posted by: Yeek | Apr 14, 2008 9:03:33 AM

4. Thanks, Andy. I cried. This is the kind of talent we should be promoting in the world.

Posted by: Nick | Apr 14, 2008 9:15:46 AM

5. I love how gay men channel their pain of being bullied and treated as inferior when its convenient but somehow fail to do so when it comes to not being a bully in the gay world. I regularly see how gay men target others for ridicule when don't measure up because they aren't young, hot or stylish enough. I've had to get on a number of friends for this. It's easy to get to show compassion and get behind the underdog when it doesn't require anything, but it's more important when it comes to not being bullies ourselves.

OK--waiting for all the comments from "mean girl" queens saying I must be ugly or old and out of style and so I'm just jealous or just bitter because I was treated that way. Luckily that has not been my experience, but hopefully there are a few people who will internalize what I have said instead of just coming up with some dismissive bitchy retort.

Posted by: James | Apr 14, 2008 9:33:26 AM

6. James, well said.

Posted by: DavidR | Apr 14, 2008 9:49:44 AM

7. James, well said.

Posted by: DavidR | Apr 14, 2008 9:50:24 AM

8. ANDY, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR AIRING THAT...THAT MADE MY MORNING...IT WAS HARD HOLDING TOGETHER EMOTIONALLY...HE SHOULD BE SINGING THAT WITH SARAH BRIGTHMAN.

Posted by: CLIFF | Apr 14, 2008 9:50:50 AM

9. I too did not expect that voice out of him, keep us updated with his progress, made me moist.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Apr 14, 2008 9:58:43 AM

10. Thanks so much for this. After a difficult weekend, this was a wonderfully uplifting way to begin the week. I'll keep young Andrew in my prayers. I hope he does well.

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 14, 2008 10:06:10 AM

11. Actually, James, anyone who disagrees with your comment is an asshole...an ugly and unclean one...one with warts.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 14, 2008 10:07:14 AM

12. What a remarkable young man...I hope he wins!

Posted by: Bojo | Apr 14, 2008 10:38:46 AM

13. Well said James.

How come Britain's Got Talent is so much better than American Idol? They never have these transcendent moments on AI.

Posted by: joe | Apr 14, 2008 10:40:42 AM

14. Bless his heart and all the kids who are bullied for whatever reason, gay, over weight, bookish, poor, etc., and the best of luck to him and, what a beautiful voice!

Posted by: Sebastian | Apr 14, 2008 10:58:50 AM

15. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Please keep us posted on his progress!

Posted by: dc20008 | Apr 14, 2008 11:29:24 AM

16. I have sooo much work to do, but I can't take my eys of the screen. What a treat.

Posted by: bill | Apr 14, 2008 12:06:41 PM

17. Really heartwarming. This kid's amazing... and thanks for the cry ;)

Posted by: Francis | Apr 14, 2008 12:28:24 PM

18. Nice, I cried for the copy machine rep just now. I should have watched this later when no one was in the office. Good stuff!

Posted by: John | Apr 14, 2008 1:35:56 PM

19. Wow. Just "WOW". Don't know what just happened but I completely burst into tears in my office... and I'm not entirely sure why. Was it the gorgeous voice? More than likely. Was it the fact that I can relate (even though I have no discernible talent)? Definitely. I felt strangely comforted in the fact that I wasn't the only commenter that felt compelled to respond... and cry. Maybe this is the beginning of a new internet fad, a new meme that has gay men crying in unison at YouTube vids?? Regardless...

Amazing, Andrew. You're my hero.

Posted by: Brian K. | Apr 14, 2008 1:42:44 PM

20. Oh my god!! That's all I can say!
    P.S: James, will you marry me?

Posted by: Shabaka | Apr 14, 2008 1:50:03 PM

21. James, agreed. My only comment is that there are gay men who don't bully anyone, for any reason, other than for being cruel. I'm one of them. We're out there, and I hope you find us.

Posted by: David | Apr 14, 2008 1:52:05 PM

22. Well... I'm glad I'm not the only sissy out there that teared up at this. I watched it in my office and had to grab a kleenex.

SOOO not expecting that voice.

Posted by: cb | Apr 14, 2008 2:45:54 PM

23. Im sitting here... CRYING at my desk at work. Holy crap.
    And JAMES... HERE HERE! I work in a place where the velvet mafia runs rampant. And though my kenneth cole shoes are as good as anyone elses... I feel like I'll never be accepted by the gays in the cool club, for one reason or another.

Posted by: Ted | Apr 14, 2008 4:27:49 PM

24. May the Lord bless you always Andrew.

Posted by: angrycitizen | Apr 14, 2008 5:11:00 PM

25. Voice of an angel! I was knocked out cold by his clarity and perfect pitch, an uncommon attribute even among professional singers.

I hope he sails through and is able to record lots of music before his voice changes. And then he can thrill us all over again - in a lower register.

Love this kid. Can't wait for next week!

Posted by: sparks | Apr 14, 2008 5:30:44 PM