Bullying | Great Britain | Music Video | News | Reality TV

BigGayDeal.com

Bullied Boy Gets Revenge on Britain's Got Talent Audition

Andrew_johnston

Is it the second coming of Paul Potts? Watch 13-year-old Andrew Johnston perform "Pie Jesu" at his first audition for Britain's Got Talent...

"I get bullied a lot...at school. I've been bullied all my life since I was six. My mates have been telling me to leave the singing. They don't like that kind of music."

Simon Cowell asked Johnston how he deals with the bullying. Said Johnston: "I carry on singing."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

This should start your week off right.

Comments

1. wow, Like everyone else I am crying-even though that little boy made it through to the next round-in some ways it's like he's already won.

Posted by: marcus | Apr 14, 2008 5:34:21 PM

2. wow, Like everyone else I am crying-even though that little boy made it through to the next round-in some ways it's like he's already won.

Posted by: marcus | Apr 14, 2008 5:35:53 PM

3. WHO CARES ABOUT THIS BEASTLY LITTLE QUEEN!

HES FUGLY!

Posted by: EWWWWW | Apr 14, 2008 6:39:32 PM

4. EWWWWW - Your comment does nothing but make you appear superficial and very immature.

Posted by: James | Apr 15, 2008 12:16:32 AM

5. Scary how much this kid reminds me of what I went through (and sometimes still do)... When you're a 13-year-old boy and you sound like a Soprano (and enjoy singing this way), people make fun of you and you start to have doubts whether or not what could potentially be a great voice, be nothing more than "freakish" to most of the world. I love that on this show, this voice triggered tears instead of ridicule.

I'm 32 now and still have this Soprano voice. I used to think it was a "curse"... but luckily, in the context of singing with the Orange County Gay Men's Chorus, less people make fun of me...I guess it's acceptable to hear a dude sing soprano within a group like that. But in the wild world of YouTube, people still leave comments like "ewww..." or "what's wrong with him?" Sigh.

Thanks, Andy, for sharing the clip. Thanks for showing that it's possible to be heralded for a "unique but beautiful" talent...

Posted by: Michael | Apr 15, 2008 2:28:04 AM

6. Andrew Johnston is a talented, charming, and handsome lad. You EWWW, are aptly self-monikered as you are a waste of protoplasm.

Posted by: rudy | Apr 15, 2008 7:25:21 AM

7. I have been watching this since it was posted - over and over and over again.

4 days later and it still makes me teary eyed. Like some of the others, I'm not sure I even know why.

Thanks for posting it, Andy.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Apr 17, 2008 7:34:03 PM

8. This was great. But whatever else it was, what it wasn't was revenge on his bullies.

Posted by: jb | Apr 19, 2008 6:19:32 PM

9. Young Andrew has the voice of an angel. A voice so pure and beautiful it stuns us into joy that the world can feel like a beautiful place when we hear such a voice.

We all know that every day, in so many ways, such beauty is stomped on and dashed, so it is a pleasure to see one instance when the "good guy" is victorious.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Apr 20, 2008 1:53:09 PM

10. Wow, I've just seen this now and what a treat to see someone that sings and doesn't feel a need to wail.

He'll go far. I admit that as a countertenor myself I'm biased but I love his voice.

He doesn't have an easy road ahead as there are still alot of ignorant people that think that a male soprano or countertenor is missing a gonad or two. I've run into that myself on many occasions, but things are changing.

Bravo Andrew!

Posted by: Wade | Apr 20, 2008 6:35:02 PM

11. He should do a duet with Jimmy Somerville!

Posted by: Timothy Wright | Apr 20, 2008 7:01:43 PM

12. Just because he sings high and does not like to fight with stupid bullies does not mean he is gay. And even if he was what business is that to you! None whatsoever!!! Leave him along and worry about your own life if you have one.

Posted by: Natalie | May 9, 2008 1:17:24 AM

13. I meant that comment to be toward Ewwwww. I did not mean to be hateful to that rest of you. Sorry! I found your site because I like Andrew's voice. I said something because I am getting sick of the hate sites toward Andrew and I felt that I had to say something. Sorry, if I made people here uncomfortable. I did not know this was a site for homosexual tendecies however, I had to say something because I been made fun of since I was a little girl. Sorry if my presence made you uncomfortable I meant no harm I was tying to enjoy some wonderful talent in Andrew's singing.

Posted by: Natalie | May 9, 2008 3:40:49 AM