Football | Italy | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Former Juventus Head Moggi: Football is No Place for Gays

The former managing director of Italian football club Juventus spoke to Klaus Davi on Italy's TV program KlausCondicio on Monday and said that he would never sign a gay player because the sport is not made for homosexuals. He also fears for the players undressed in the showers.

Moggi"There are no gays in football, I don't know if players are against having them in their team but I definitely am. In the teams where I worked there were never any. I never wanted to have a homosexual player and I still wouldn't sign one. I'm old school but I know the ambience of football and a gay wouldn't be able to survive within it. A homosexual cannot do the job of a footballer. The football world is not designed for them, it's a special atmosphere, one in which you stand naked under the showers."

AFTER THE JUMP, a look at that "special atmosphere"...

Dgad2

More...
Sportrait: Italian Footballers [tr]
Dolce & Gabbana: The Italian Footballers Sequel [tr]

Comments

1. Poor thing...like we haven't had to hide and lie about who we are for years. Can't wait for a european footballer to come out of the closet and show that we can shower among straight men without blowing them. LOL Of course, we may think it...

Posted by: Dave | Apr 21, 2008 12:27:43 PM

2. Was this about the football in Iran or Italy. No homos in either country.

Posted by: joe | Apr 21, 2008 12:35:23 PM

3. Maybe something was lost in the translation. This man couldn't be that stupid. He's already seen many gay footballers. The type of gay men who play soccer aren't going to be to doing Anna Magnani impersonations...well, most wouldn't.

And why are straight guys so afraid for us to be in the shower with them. It won't bother us if they "pop of hardy".

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 21, 2008 12:35:35 PM

4. what a fucktard!

Posted by: nic | Apr 21, 2008 12:37:31 PM

5. Yeah right it's the rugby guys who are sooooo gay.

Posted by: SJ | Apr 21, 2008 12:40:30 PM

6. I bet this guy secretly plays find the sausage in airport bathrooms. Only self-loathing closet cases make such brash and stupid statements...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Apr 21, 2008 12:42:06 PM

7. "pop a hardy" you know, hard-on.

I don't like Mondays without a my 7:00am pick me up. I have a lot left too--about a half a fifth, but I wanted to come to work in my right mind. Wrong-- the other mind is better.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 21, 2008 12:42:51 PM

8. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4427718.stm

Posted by: SJ | Apr 21, 2008 12:43:33 PM

9. Italy is more in the closet than you might imagine. Even going to a gay club is a clandestine affair...which, well, is actually kinda fun. Honestly, for such a homo-erotic country, Italy is behind the 8-Ball when it comes to being out, but NEVER confuse Italy with Iran. Moggi is just another hideous troll that will eventually die and footballers will still be ballin' long after he's gone.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Apr 21, 2008 12:52:33 PM

10. "A homosexual cannot do the job of a footballer." Is "soccer player" a real job to begin with?

Posted by: Steve | Apr 21, 2008 12:55:23 PM

11. I guess Mr. Davi is proof positive that not all Italian men are sexy.

I know some gay guys here in Wisconsin who could break someone like David Beckham in half and not even spill their beer.

Posted by: The Milkman | Apr 21, 2008 12:56:18 PM

12. Uh, you left out a critical part of the story. This guy was fired for fixing matches. Everyone in Italy knows he's a corrupt scumbag so his bigotry shouldn't surprise anyone. His views don't reflect the rest of the Italian football league or its player.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 21, 2008 1:13:01 PM

13. ASSH@LE

Posted by: Martin | Apr 21, 2008 1:15:13 PM

14. The soccer field, obviously, is no place for straight men.

Posted by: JeffRob | Apr 21, 2008 1:45:07 PM

15. Well it appears this idiots favorite form of excercise is "ASSHOLISM".

Posted by: john | Apr 21, 2008 1:51:33 PM

16. The Milkman: "His views don't reflect the rest of the Italian football league or its players". Probably not, but I haven't seen any of them falling over themselves to address Moggi's homophobia. In fact, none of this evening's (extensive) news programmes in Italy even touched this story during their (extensive) soccer coverage (usually the last quarter of any news programme). As SJ said, the closet's the norm in Italy, in all fields, and you could count on the fingers of one hand the number of famous celebrities and/or politicians who have come out. And you don't need any fingers at all for any sports star, male or female.

Posted by: lemmy caution | Apr 21, 2008 3:45:36 PM

17. Idiot bigot...thank god I don't live in Italy(I was born there).

Posted by: nikko | Apr 22, 2008 12:21:44 AM

18. No, he's not old school, he's old stupid.

Posted by: David | Apr 22, 2008 8:26:47 AM

19. I'm from Greece and live in Monaco. Football is like a part of our lives in Europe, Italy is know exception. People idolize these players. They are ultra-metro-sexual and everyone in Europe knows this. They are very homo-erotic in every way. Homosexuality is not a part of the sport, but it is not a true issue. It has never really been discussed. Italians are good people and homosexuality is very much an underground thing. Remember that Italy is a fashion mecca and the gay mafia rules it. Know Italian that I know of ever had anything bad to say about Gianni Versace and other designers. Italy is just not used to seeing gay men in sports like football, but is the US ready for gay basketball and football players.

Posted by: Caligula | Apr 24, 2008 3:39:05 AM

20. One thing for sure: He doesn't have anything to worry about - from males or females.

Posted by: LeeBo | Apr 26, 2008 3:21:03 PM