Football (American) | News | Sports

Former NFL Player Michael Westbrook: 'Gay' Tag Haunts Me

ESPN catches up with former NFL wide receiver Michael Westbrook, who is now retired and practices mixed martial arts. Westbrook blames much of his "disappointing career" on a remark that started a fight that somehow resulted in Westbrook being labeled gay:

WestbrookESPN reports: "The video clips were all over the national news and Westbrook said the incident left a lot of people with the false impression that he was a homosexual. Westbrook said the details have been misreported for more than a decade. Fully content with his current situation, Westbrook rarely feels the need to reflect upon the highs and lows of his football career. 'He didn't call me a name,' Westbrook said of Davis. 'That's where it gets mixed up. It got reported and it got changed into something monstrous. I was talking to him, Brian Mitchell and Terry Allen. They were talking about 'letting us handle the team.' I was like, 'You all are a bunch of jealous [f----]. You all are just jealous of everything I have.' Stephen Davis told me I needed to shut up and all that stuff I was saying sounded like some gay [s---], like I'm soft, not like I'm gay. That's all he said. It wasn't like, 'You're gay,' but it got changed to that really quick. So the connotation is Michael Westbrook is gay.' The connotation has faded, but not completely. 'My ex-girlfriend heard it about a year ago from this guy and she went nuts,' Westbrook said. 'Everybody that knows me knows that's the farthest thing from the truth. For about three years, I wanted to lock myself in the house and never come out.'"

There's no room for football in Westbrook's heart [espn]

Comments

1. Why would anybody ever admit this? Blaming his mediocre career on not being able to handle name calling. Stephen Davis was right, he is soft. He needs to Man up and get on with his life. He is pathetic.

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 16, 2008 1:06:09 PM

2. ... or you could do a George Clooney and joke about it and go on with life.

Posted by: SJ | Apr 16, 2008 1:06:22 PM

3. Gee, what about all the men and women who are really gay and have their careers ruined because they are trying to life an authentic life? What a crybaby!

Posted by: Jack | Apr 16, 2008 1:13:09 PM

4. The more this jerk talks the more of an offensive idiot he shows himself to be.

Do everybody a favor and just shut up already!

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 16, 2008 1:38:33 PM

5. not that it makes him gay but he certainly was no good at football. CD from DC

Posted by: cd | Apr 16, 2008 2:01:57 PM

6. Yes, because the worst thing that could ever happen to you ever is to be called "gay". Oh, the horror! It's amazing he can leave his apartment even now.

Gah.

Posted by: David D. | Apr 16, 2008 2:03:05 PM

7. Who?

Posted by: anon | Apr 16, 2008 2:08:53 PM

8. His story makes no sense. Why is he news?

Posted by: Ben | Apr 16, 2008 2:18:50 PM

9. Too bad that he did not act on his impulse to "[L]ock [him]self in the house and never come out." Football fans, gays, and straights would have all been better off.

Posted by: rudy | Apr 16, 2008 3:00:42 PM

10. Ah the good old "gay as in soft" How very high school of them. Sexy as hell though!

Posted by: Shabaka | Apr 16, 2008 3:26:09 PM

11. He could have gone the Gorgeous George route.

Posted by: Wheezy | Apr 16, 2008 9:32:55 PM

12. Someone earlier said why not just joke about it and move on, like George Clooney. Nonsense. George Clooney is very manipulative and PR aggressive, doing everything possible, including "dating" models and waitresses, to promote the notion that this eye-rolling queen is straight. After all, gigantic movie paychecks are at stake. He is successful in that the flyover state crowd buys it. But this clown Westbrook... what he is doing is like parading up and down Sunset Blvd. with a sign that says "I'm A Homo."
    Not even a Scientology marriage could save him now.

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Apr 17, 2008 10:18:15 AM

13. I don't care if he is gay or not. He was terrible at wide receiver. Definitely the worst number 1 draft pick we (I am a Skins fan) could have had. Except for maybe Desmond Howard in 1992.

Posted by: Mike C. | Apr 17, 2008 11:22:19 AM

14. He is gay. After the incident he is talking about, a few months, here in Washington DC, I met and went on a few dates with a guy that told me that he was indeed Westbrooks Boy friend. He also stated that he was a violent guy that at times would physically abuse him.

Posted by: Horace | Apr 17, 2008 11:31:12 AM

15. There is a saying, "the dog that carried the bone barks the loudest." Enough said.

Posted by: Clarence Williams | Apr 17, 2008 11:42:45 AM

16. some of us REAL MEN dont lik the tag of being a faggott and we are not goin to be made to feel liek we are homophobe because of it.. F--- yall faggotts.. and who would want to be suspected of such a abomniable lifestyle. He is rightly angry... thank God there are still people who recognize that the GAY thing is NASTY!!!

Posted by: thadd | Apr 17, 2008 1:08:02 PM

17. Good one Thadd! Sarcasm is always the most effective form of criticism. Self-loath much?

Posted by: rudy | Apr 17, 2008 4:39:23 PM

18. Yeah, THADD, but you don't have to be gay to suck dicks and take it up the ass. You can be on the "Down Low"--like Senator Craig & Jim McGreevey.

Rudy, are you sure this guy is being sarcastic? I like the way he spells "faggott" though...cute. I hope he's not trying to write in Ebonics. I'm the only one on this blog who's fittin' enough to do that, Sucka'.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 17, 2008 5:03:51 PM

19. I assure you Thadd is being sarcastic/facetious. One clue is the intentional misspellings. Another is: what's he doing at towleroad?

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Apr 17, 2008 6:31:15 PM

20. THADD likes it up the ass.

Posted by: THADD THE FAGG | Apr 20, 2008 3:35:57 AM