Bullying | David Paterson | Eliot Spitzer | Gay Marriage | Matt Foreman | New York | News

Governor Paterson Vows to Bring Full Marriage Equality to NY

Paterson

New York Governor David Paterson delivered a funny and eloquent video message (watch it) to the crowd at last night's National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Leadership Awards dinner since he was being "held hostage" in Albany and couldn't be there in person.

Joked Paterson: "If any of you can hear me, please contact the FBI or Interpol. I'm being held hostage in the dysfunctional Albany. I wanted to come to this dinner tonight. I'm actually tied to this chair and a gun is being pointed at my head. They're trying to get me to reverse my opinions on a number of issues, but I won't do it. If I am shot or killed during this interview, remember that I did the right thing."

Paterson praised outgoing Executive Director Matt Foreman as well as former Governor Eliot Spitzer: "I am proud to have run on a ticket with Eliot Spitzer that became the first ticket in this country to actually advocate for marriage equality for all citizens and to win on that premise."

He added: "Marriage equality in NY may not come just this moment but it is no longer an issue mostly for conviction, it is an issue for courage. People more and more understand that when people love each other they should express it in whatever way they deem necessary and possible. They should have all the rights that the rest of us have. And so, we willl push on and bring full marriage equality to New York State. And when we have done that, we're going to do more. We're going to protect young people from bullies. We're going to protect against the discrimination of people in the transgender community, and we're going to fight for decent and affordable healthcare for all citizens in this state. If you will join with me, and if we work hard enough, we can change the face of New York, which will be the catalyst to changing national policy."

Watch Paterson's clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I love this guy. Eliot WHO???

Posted by: Osman | Apr 8, 2008 6:23:53 PM

2. Cool

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Apr 8, 2008 6:54:58 PM

3. Spitzer was all talk on gay marriage. He and Paterson merely pander to the dumb gays who keep falling for the notion that the Democrats are somehow all for gay marriage. The Democrats are into pandering, pure and simple.

Posted by: jason | Apr 8, 2008 7:31:15 PM

4. Love HIM!!!

Posted by: Eric | Apr 8, 2008 8:52:50 PM

5. TAKE DOWN THE STRAIGHT SUPREMISTS

This guys seems like he will be one to do it in New York.

Go Patterson.

Posted by: rjp3 | Apr 8, 2008 10:08:39 PM

6. ...for someone legally blind, Paterson sure can see...!

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Apr 8, 2008 10:39:11 PM

7. give me a philandering democrat over a bigoted repug any old day. hells yeah!

Posted by: nic | Apr 9, 2008 12:06:17 AM

8. Words are all well and good but let's see what his actions are

Posted by: ousslander | Apr 9, 2008 9:15:45 AM

9. Sure I love Governor Patterson too. But I still love Eliot Spitzer(even with his hypocrisy on the issue of prostitution). Why? Because he stood up against Wall Street and the Banks: the epitomy of Republican hypocrisy on the issue of a fair & just society.

The greedy Conservative Republicans & the business establishment hated Spitzer more than they could ever hate Obama & Clinton. Spitzer knew that thieves just didn't exist in organized crime & among drug dealing trash. He knew that the biggest thieves in this country will be at the Republican Convention this summer.

If Bill Clinton can come back, hell, maybe Spitzer can to. I hope so.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 9, 2008 9:51:47 AM

10. A very good start, governor.

And, Jason, if the "dumb gays" are supporting "pandering" Dems like Governor Paterson, just who are the smart gays like you supporting?

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 9, 2008 10:14:45 AM

11. Damn EARNIE, you beat me to it!

Tell us Jason, who on the Republican side should we dumb gays be supporting instead?

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 9, 2008 11:00:07 AM

12. Gov. Paterson's clip gave me governor's jealousy. Over here in California, we're stuck with anti-marriage equality Ahh-nold. Go, Gov. Paterson!

Posted by: Peter | Apr 9, 2008 2:27:35 PM

13. Viewing the Patterson video just after reading about the imprisonment of gays in Egypt restored my faith in humanity.....Oh wait,..Dr. Laura's on Fox...she's saying something about values or some s***. On second thought, it might be a while before a homo candidate could win the primary in Iowa. Lots of work is still to be done.
    We love you sight challenged male black Governor who likes chicks and respects gay people !

Posted by: Eric Land | Apr 9, 2008 9:46:39 PM

14. their is something so sexy about an intelligent man with a sense of humor.

Posted by: nic | Apr 10, 2008 7:02:37 AM