Greece | News

BigGayDeal.com

Greek Islanders of Lesbos Want the Name 'Lesbian' Back

A group from the Greek island of Lesbos, said to be the birthplace of the female Greek poet Sappho and also a huge holiday draw for girls who love girls, is taking the Homosexual and Lesbian Community of Greece to court to stop them from using the word "Lesbian" in their name, saying that it usurps the identity of the island:

Lesbos_2"Three islanders from Lesbos — home of the ancient poet Sappho, who praised love between women — have taken a gay rights group to court for using the word lesbian in its name. One of the plaintiffs said Wednesday that the name of the association, Homosexual and Lesbian Community of Greece, "insults the identity" of the people of Lesbos, who are also known as Lesbians. 'My sister can't say she is a Lesbian,' said Dimitris Lambrou. 'Our geographical designation has been usurped by certain ladies who have no connection whatsoever with Lesbos,' he said."

Said Dimitris Lambrou, one of the plaintiffs: "My sister can't say she is a Lesbian. Our geographical designation has been usurped by certain ladies who have no connection whatsoever with Lesbos. This is not an aggressive act against gay women. Let them visit Lesbos and get married and whatever they like. We just want (the group) to remove the word lesbian from their title...We have been Lesbians for thousands of years."

Now there's a Sisyphean pursuit if I've ever heard of one.

Comments

1. "My sister can't say she is a Lesbian. Our geographical designation has been usurped by certain ladies who have no connection whatsoever with Lesbos."

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha... Oh, wow... Just... wow... Is this going to be on Judge Judy?

Posted by: Cory | Apr 30, 2008 12:24:27 PM

2. obviously these bitches have to much fucking time to waste!!!!

Posted by: davidd | Apr 30, 2008 12:26:21 PM

3. What about the countless lesbians who will forever be confused with Greeks? Who is looking out for them?

Posted by: Joey | Apr 30, 2008 12:27:10 PM

4. The birthplace of reason, ladies and gentlemen . . .

Posted by: GM | Apr 30, 2008 12:29:07 PM

5. Agreed DAVIDD & CORY,

As good-looking as Greeks are, they don't have anything better to do with their time.

Two of my friends went to Greece a few years ago, and had a ball... had lots of balls (you don't have to put a condom on balls). Of course, they were "queens" not Lesbians (actually, they were gay men. They'd be angry if they knew I called them "queens"...who cares?)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 30, 2008 12:32:20 PM

6. Just tell your sister to refer to herself as a "lesbosian." Problem solved.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 30, 2008 12:35:33 PM

7. Crispy

"lesbosian"

It works

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Apr 30, 2008 12:57:24 PM

8. "Now there's a Sisyphean pursuit if I've ever heard of one."

I hope they get that joke out in the Styx! :)

Posted by: Red | Apr 30, 2008 1:06:53 PM

9. We get the joke out here in the "Styx"/sticks, but its definitely an uphill battle.

Posted by: mike_in_lancaster | Apr 30, 2008 1:09:50 PM

10. Maybe Lesbians have no connection but the word has. He should go back to school. But as I know modern Greeks they do ignore that part of their history.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 30, 2008 1:14:38 PM

11. Thanks, RED, the stone just keeps a rollin' and they have nothin' to do with their time.

But you know, RED, I was called a Sisyphean years ago way down in Georgia. I just thought the effemiphobic fool had a speech impediment. Now, I understand. And people think folks from way down south aint sophisticated.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 30, 2008 1:15:00 PM

12. Interesting read... and coincidentally, I am off for a weekend at Gay Head on Martha's Vineyard.

Posted by: Rad | Apr 30, 2008 1:25:14 PM

13. In San Francisco, many of our Saphhic sisters have begun a movement to be called "Gayelle". Let the Lesbos islanders have their nominclature, the girls have already moved on.

Posted by: Marco | Apr 30, 2008 1:26:18 PM

14. "Gayelle"? Is that pronounced "Gail"?

That's confusing

Posted by: info | Apr 30, 2008 2:22:42 PM

15. I'd vote for Lesbosian.

Posted by: anon | Apr 30, 2008 2:33:54 PM

16. Audrey: So, what should we call you, gay or lesbian?

Ellen: How about "Ellen"?

Posted by: goldend | Apr 30, 2008 2:44:51 PM

17. They should definitely take "lesbian" out of their name, or change "homosexual" to "gay," since lesbians are homosexuals. Unless there's a translation issue...

Posted by: DCN | Apr 30, 2008 7:03:33 PM

18. Impressive reference to Sisyphus Andy...is there a classical education in there somewhere?

Posted by: Wil Barrow | Apr 30, 2008 8:20:14 PM

19. Maybe that guy and his sister can clarify introductions by refering to themselves as "heterosexual Lesbians."
    I've never liked the word "Lesbian" anyway. I agree with Ellen that sounds like a disease, and I don't see why gay women should be singled out by sex. Expressions like "gay and lesbian" and "homosexual and lesbian" sound to me like a parallel to "doctors and women doctors" or "people and women."

Posted by: GV | Apr 30, 2008 8:27:09 PM

20. Hell, how do you think the Lebanese feel?

Posted by: Lia | May 1, 2008 12:50:18 AM

21. i came to this conversation late, but i have a suggestion. if dimitri's sister is a heterosexual, she could say, "i am a lesbian, but not in a good way." otherwise, i like the "lesbosian" suggestion. what about lesbotarian or indigi-lesbo?

Posted by: nic | May 1, 2008 8:53:57 PM

22. I am from Greece and I have not heard much about this story, but I do know that there has been a surge in Hellenistic nationalism in Greece the last few years. First with Macedonia, Lesbos and even feta cheese. We actually won the feta case in the EU courts. I can see why they are complaining. When you here Greeks say "lesbia", it is confusing to what they are referring to. If there were a nation called "gay" it would be the same thing. I think this is quite silly and I am not at all concerned. I am concerned with the Macedonia issue which could result in a confrontation with our neighbours.

Posted by: Caligula | May 1, 2008 11:39:56 PM

23. To add to my comment above, reform efforts at the legislative level might not fare so well now, but a court challenge might be the impetus for change.

Posted by: Wholesale New Era Hats | Sep 21, 2011 12:03:57 AM