Ewan McGregor | Film | Jim Carrey | Miami beach | News | Rodrigo Santoro | Versace

Jim Carrey and Rodrigo Santoro Play Gay in I Love You Phillip Morris

Ilypm

Last week I reported that Jim Carrey, Ewan McGregor, and Rodrigo Santoro had been spotted doing some "research" at Edison Farrow's popular gay Martini Tuesdays at Halo Lounge in Miami Beach.

Here's your first look at Carrey and Santoro flaunting their Versace in the film I Love You Phillip Morris, which just began shooting in Miami.

In the film, an adaptation of the Steve McVicker novel I Love You Philip Morris, Jim Carrey plays Steven Russell, a married father/conman who finds himself in the Texas prison system where he falls in love with his cellmate Phillip Morris. The romance prompted four escape attempts and a lifetime jail sentence for Russell. McGregor plays Morris, and I don't have the details on Santoro's role.

Those Versace fashions really up the cheese factor. Let's hope they don't Chuck & Larry it.

Comments

1. At least this seems like a dignified treatment of same-sex relations. Unlike MTV and its sleazy "bisexual dating show", a show which is simply designed to prop up the grubby straight guy's fetish for "girl-on-girl" action. By the way, have you noticed that MTV has banned bisexual men from appearing on this dating show?

Posted by: jeff | Apr 29, 2008 8:51:32 AM

2. Jeff, I think MTV is being intellectually dishonest with its bisexual dating show concept. MTV calls it bisexual but they have not permitted bisexual men on it. MTV deserves our wrath, i agree.

Posted by: adam | Apr 29, 2008 8:56:29 AM

3. Jeff, I think MTV is being intellectually dishonest with its bisexual dating show concept. MTV calls it bisexual but they have not permitted bisexual men on it. MTV deserves our wrath, i agree.

Posted by: adam | Apr 29, 2008 8:57:44 AM

4. i think MTV having the tila tequila show is positive because the world needs to see bisexuality.

Posted by: queerunity | Apr 29, 2008 9:10:07 AM

5. Have you been to Miami lately? I don't think the Versace outfits play up and "cheese factor" that isn't a reality in South Beach.

As hideous as Carrey's outfit is, queens wear that garbage all the time.

Posted by: Dan B | Apr 29, 2008 9:35:49 AM

6. The shirts and jewelry are pretty offensive. Hey...let's make some movies about black people where everyone's wearing denim shorts cut in zig-zag patterns, and Aunt Jemima bandannas.

I hope this movie is set in the early '90s, at least.

Posted by: LD | Apr 29, 2008 9:42:31 AM

7. "Dignified"?!? You think this will be DIGNIFIED?!?

Bwahahahahaha!

Posted by: JeffNYC | Apr 29, 2008 9:46:44 AM

8. You hope they don't "Chuck and Larry" it? Please. Jim Carrey is involved - therefore he will make "Chuck and Larry" look like a tour de force gay rights movie. In the movie, He'll "turn gay" and then suddenly saunter like a queen, spilling over some staircase, look into the camera, and have something completely inane to say. The uneducated masses will love it, it will set back gay rights by ten years, and Jim Carrey will make millions.

Other than that, I have high hopes for this film.

Posted by: taodon | Apr 29, 2008 9:58:18 AM

9. Ugh...this comedic stereotype shit is approaching modern blackface levels. Let me guess, there's a shitzu attached to that leash?

Posted by: scientitian | Apr 29, 2008 9:59:27 AM

10. Does anyone recall all the angry commenters on this blog defending Chuck and Larry? I do.

Posted by: ggreen | Apr 29, 2008 10:15:17 AM

11. Well, it doesn't look like they're deviating from the source material that was based on the true story - so I doubt they'll be playing this for laughs.

Hopefully after having just wrapped _Christmas Carol_, Carrey has gotten all of his faces and goofiness out of his system. He's successfully brought respect to the role of a gay man in the Fox TV movie "Doing Time on Maple Drive" many moons ago and I don't doubt he has many more serious performances in him.

The outfits do look godawful, and the fact that they look so dated is a good thing since the story doesn't take place in modern times.

After the abortion that is _Chuck & Larry_, I understand some peoples' concerns, but you should really read up a bit on the film before going off on the first photo seen from the set.

Posted by: Rey | Apr 29, 2008 10:16:12 AM

12. Um...no, we shouldn't. Skepticism is entirely appropriate. Let the filmmakers prove themselves.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Apr 29, 2008 10:19:48 AM

13. The scenes that are being filmed in Miami take place in 1992. So the clothes are perfect. Miami Beach 1992 was all about Versace...

Posted by: jlo | Apr 29, 2008 10:57:54 AM

14. I Love You Phillip Morris is a work of nonfiction, not a novel.

Posted by: emily | Apr 29, 2008 11:02:44 AM

15. Um, it's one still from a whole movie shoot, queens calm down. Plus, this is no different than "Legally Blonde" putting Reese Witherspoon in pink. Not all blonde women wear pink, just like all gay people don't wear Versace (although I'm not totally hating the clothes, I'd wear Rodrigo's shirt in South Beach if I had his body). Let the movie come out b4 you criticize.

Posted by: junior | Apr 29, 2008 11:27:40 AM

16. Junior - the difference is that Hollywood and the MSM doesn't go out of their way to present all women as wearers of pink. The same can not be said as to how those same groups tend to present gay men.

Posted by: taodon | Apr 29, 2008 11:38:53 AM

17. Maybe they butch-it-up in prison.

Posted by: anon | Apr 29, 2008 2:37:53 PM

18. Lawzy lawzy anudder minstrel show for the new millennium.

Posted by: dezboy | Apr 29, 2008 7:05:42 PM

19. I can't judge the film based on the photo (plus I never read the book). I would wait until it comes out. While I don't dress like that myself, I know other gay guys who do. Whatever kind of gay guys they are (femme, butch, etc...), let's hope the movie treats them with respect.

Posted by: scar2 | Apr 29, 2008 7:46:53 PM

20. It's got Santoro in it, worth the price of admission right there. And Rey you are right, Carrey was great in Doing Time, especially for when it was done. His other work sucks.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 29, 2008 8:05:02 PM