Alabama | Kiss | New Jersey | News | Television

Gay Couple's Kiss Sparks 911 Call in Alabama

Gaypda

If you missed 20/20's "What Would You Do?" segment on "Gay PDA", I've clipped it, AFTER THE JUMP....

Comments

1. The U.S.A. has to be the most backwards country in the western world.

Posted by: Protogenes | Apr 28, 2008 8:21:19 AM

2. What was really telling and ALARMING was the cop who was ready to "pounce" until he received the phone call letting him in on things.

The show's producers should have let the cop "do his job" as it would have sent a more clear and defined message as to what things are like her in America.

People needed to see the full measure that law officals will go through to deter a little gay affection.

Posted by: Charles | Apr 28, 2008 9:06:43 AM

3. Hysterical. In every sense of the word.

Posted by: David D. | Apr 28, 2008 9:10:58 AM

4. It's Alabama. You were expecting....?

Posted by: Los | Apr 28, 2008 9:13:41 AM

5. Probably ought to check the video clips first, Proto ;)

Just a quick search for "the most backward country in the world" revealed things like:

"Islamic Countries"
    "Liechenstein" (WHO? LOL)
    "Rural Sindh"
    "China"
    ...and then full circle in 2002 as Musharraf berates muslim countries by saying:

"'The Muslim Ummah, or the Islamic world, he said was presently living in darkness.

Today we are the poorest, the most illiterate, the most backward, the most unhealthy, the most un-enlightened, the most deprived, and the weakest of all the human race,' he told the delegates."

Of course, that was Musharraf, so who knows what he was really trying to do, but well, you know...

Ignorance is everywhere, but that ass in the Vegas taxicab? That kind of insecure, self-righteous trash is the kind of moron you have to be wary of. I had the greatest urge to knock some of his teeth loose. Had I been there, I'm not sure I wouldn't have.

Sheesh, that's at least the third time this year I've felt like beating some homophobe's ass.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Apr 28, 2008 9:21:08 AM

6. I'm guessing protogenes didn't actually watch the entire video. While it would have been ideal if the cop (or anybody else, for that matter) hadn't blinked an eye at this situation, it seems like a majority of the people who saw the situation didn't really care. Considering that this is happening in the middle of America's Bible Belt, I'm somewhat heartened by the outcome.

And most backwards? really? Remember what the former polish president had to say about homosexuals? What about Russia? India's horribly backwards on gay rights as well.

Posted by: Dan | Apr 28, 2008 9:22:12 AM

7. To be fair, PROTOGENES did say, "most backwards country in the WESTERN world." I would assume they mean the western hemisphere as when you click on the name it directs you to a site based in Canada.

However, I am proud that my fellow Jerseyans apparently seem to have little concern regarding gay PDA. I know I've done my share to enlighten my fellow citizens...at Great Adventure, on the beach at Belmar and Sandy Hook, and don't even get my started on what some truckers on the Turnpike have undoubtedly witnessed.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Apr 28, 2008 9:33:50 AM

8. Hey Andy,

I guess you intentionally left out the part where the same experiment was conducted in a suburb of New Jersey that the police was called as well. Thanks for your fair and balanced attempt to stereotype all southerners with a broad stroke.

You're completely right in your elitist view of the south. I'm sure you're happy living in New York where discrimination and bigotry against gay people no longer exist.

Posted by: mikeinbama | Apr 28, 2008 9:47:26 AM

9. The issue here isn't how the people in these communities reacted, but how the police reacted. 911 had a police officer go and check out the situation. The cop was just about to act, in whatever manner, against this couple kissing in public. I would have appreciated if the producers of the show really pursued what would have happened to this couple if this wasn't a tv show. The cop refused to answer, so they should have gone to the top for the answers.

Posted by: Patrick | Apr 28, 2008 9:53:15 AM

10. Well, MIKEINBAMA, if you'd watched the clips too, you would have known Andy also put the clips of New Jersey. Please check your facts before accusing anyone.
    Thanks Andy for sharing those clips: being in Europe, I couldn't see them on TV

Posted by: Nick | Apr 28, 2008 10:10:04 AM

11. i was really pleased they made this segment and the couples were adorable

Posted by: q | Apr 28, 2008 10:53:16 AM

12. The Kaczynzski twins in Poland? Berlusconi's Italy?

No, there's certainly no homophobia in those countries (rolls eyes)

Posted by: John | Apr 28, 2008 11:32:50 AM

13. Okay, the guys are super hot, but I'm uncomfortable with this kind of public display of affection by ANYBODY, gay or straight. Holding hands, on the other hand, is adorable. Call me old-fashioned (at 47).

Posted by: seattle mike | Apr 28, 2008 11:33:02 AM

14. My heart beat hammer
    My arms wound you tight
    And stars fell on Alabama--last night

'bama is for lovers...y'all.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 28, 2008 11:34:27 AM

15. "My heart beat like a hammer."

Nothin' worse than tryin' to be cute and fuck up song lyrics.

I guess gay men who kiss or hold hands in public really ought to consider gun permits--'bama or New Jersey.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 28, 2008 11:39:16 AM

16. I did say "western" world, and I stand by it. To consider this even news worthy shows Americans have a long way to go. You remain a child nation until further notice.

Thank you.

Posted by: protogenes | Apr 28, 2008 12:25:52 PM

17. Above all, this piece and the one about verbal/physical abuse have given me hope that there ARE decent individuals still out there.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 28, 2008 1:03:05 PM

18. Oh my God, I know one of the two gay guys, James. Originally from Boston then NYC, haven't seem him in years, never knew he went into acting. Good to see this bit, esp. the woman who sat and spoke with ABC News about tolerance. It made me tear up a little. :)

Posted by: Cory | Apr 28, 2008 1:48:50 PM

19. Just come and kiss in Montreal.

So not a problem!

Posted by: michel Filion | Apr 28, 2008 2:23:33 PM

20. Just come and kiss in Montreal.

So not a problem!

Posted by: michel Filion | Apr 28, 2008 2:24:59 PM

21. Yeah I would have loved to see what the cop intended to do had he not been stopped by his superior. And the woman who called 911...Shoulda been cussed into next week!!
    The lady at end of the 2nd clip said the women were eye candy...I was like, hello Rosie O'!

Posted by: Shabaka | Apr 28, 2008 4:05:33 PM

22. That makes me want to puke. I fucking hate Americans.

Posted by: duane | Apr 28, 2008 4:34:26 PM

23. The US is a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. Remember that....

Posted by: Labia | Apr 28, 2008 4:56:29 PM

24. Sure, kiss in Montreal, who cares. But what about the Yukon?

Posted by: Daniel | Apr 28, 2008 5:24:11 PM

25. Love should not be a taboo, of man or woman. Love is love and should be appreciated. Hate is the worst crime, it causes you to do vilence, and is also a sign of being insecure in ones own self. Vote for UAFA build families and build the economy. Keep buying power here..

Posted by: duane Harris | Apr 28, 2008 7:21:47 PM