Alabama | Kiss | New Jersey | News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Couple's Kiss Sparks 911 Call in Alabama

Gaypda

If you missed 20/20's "What Would You Do?" segment on "Gay PDA", I've clipped it, AFTER THE JUMP....

Comments

1. It's Alabama, everyone, this is really a surprise. This is practically the same state where you can breed with your sister, end up with a buck-toothed, cross-eyed, inbred playing the banjo with his toes on the back porch sipping moonshine, when he's not running around in a white sheet & hood burning down black churches & sticking flaming crosses on ny lawn.

Posted by: Randall | Apr 28, 2008 8:12:56 PM

2. Keep on fighting bias with bias, Randall. And let us know how that works out for you.

Posted by: MT | Apr 28, 2008 11:54:31 PM

3. Oh wow, I know that park in Verona! With the lake! I grew up near there, and love that place ... Someday, I'll get to hold hands and make out with the guy I love there, and for all to see. Thanks for posting, Andy!

Posted by: Kyle | Apr 29, 2008 12:29:33 AM

4. I think PDA is inappropriate no matter what. Noone wants to see us love at first sight.
    Holding hands and long term is better.

Posted by: Ty | Apr 29, 2008 1:18:02 AM

5. I just can't worked up about this nonsense.

And you won't see Gavin Newsom or Nancy Pelosi get all huffy about a little kiss either. San Francisco has nude beaches. Their sister city is Paris (not the one in Texas... the other Pa-ree).

If only the rest of America would get with the program already. We should be more like the French, damn it. Instead we're the juvenille jarhead who becomes violently hysterical everytime he sees a body part.

Posted by: John in CA | Apr 29, 2008 2:41:49 AM

6. IMHO: Not a fan of PDA for hetros (especially yicky to me) or homos. It's just trashy!
    I moved to northern NJ (work in Manhattan) from AL. Birmingham actually has a large gay community. I've still heard nastier things said to gay men on the streets of NYC than I ever did in large or small cities in the South. My ex bf told me they will kill you in Staten Island if you are a fag. Trashy folk are usually the only ones who will say some shit like that in the South (everyone else is too polite - they say it behind your back).
    NJ/NY has more assholes and white trash who will scream something at you anytime/anywhere - and may throw in a hurled brick or a punch or kick just for kicks. Manhattan gives us a false sense of security (but hey, I'll take what I can get).

Posted by: Shane | Apr 29, 2008 7:24:34 AM

7. Most backward in the Western world??!! Are you kidding me? Holland and Great Britain both officially look the other way when Dutch and British families KILL their own daughters and sons for homosexual behaviour or even for holding hands outside of marriage. The French won't even go into some neighborhoods to respond to oppression against gays out of 'deference' to neighborhood customs.

Robert in Virginia

Posted by: Robert | Apr 29, 2008 9:38:28 AM

8. ""The U.S.A. has to be the most backwards country in the western world.
    Posted by: Protogenes""
    __________________________________________

Oh Come on, look, this was ridiculous, however saying that the US. is backwards when you compare it to say Yemen, where an 8 year old girl had to run away to her uncles house and sue for divorce from a man her father had sold her to in marraige, and the man's defense in the divorce was "Well I didn't beat her!" Or Saudi Arabia where a woman can't go out of her house without a male relative, or Iran where they hang young gay men caught together is just ridiculous. Sure, this incidence shows a backwards attitude there, but you can make your point without such over the top ridiculous statements.

Posted by: Cambel | Apr 29, 2008 10:24:57 AM

9. Protogenes, Europe self-destructed TWICE in the 20th century. The continent gave us the Marxism and Fascism, and half of it was a totalitarian society for decades. And let's not forget the "ethnic cleansing" after the disintegration of Yugoslavia. Look back over the past century and tell me the US is the West's backward, child nation.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 29, 2008 11:20:23 AM

10. @ DANIEL, that was too funny!! The Yukonites are too cold to care. Freezing up there!

Posted by: Shabaka | Apr 29, 2008 1:19:42 PM

11. My nomination for most backwards country based on one incident would have to go to Austria and it's social services that looked the other way while a woman was imprisoned and impregnated by her own ape father for 25 years - then proposes to lock him up for 15 years at most under their euro system.

Posted by: colleen | Apr 29, 2008 1:23:01 PM

12. How long will it be before the self-appointed moral squad stops preaching it's form of judgment and bigotry about gay people? I hope in my lifetime, as a gay man I can be as accepted in public while showing affection or holding hands to my male companion as straight people routinely expect anywhere and anytime. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for showing us your study. Please plan to revisit this every other year for the next many years until the bigots learn tolerance or at least learn to keep their disdain to themselves.

Posted by: WRB | May 1, 2008 1:39:03 PM

13. Would that there were more people like Dana (the young woman at the end of the first tape who sits across from the guys and has no problem with them) and less like the dumb black cop, the fat white male bigot, and the pretty boy het showing off to his lady friends in the taxi. Notice that the black businessman was more tolerant (hate that word) than the black cop

Posted by: matt | May 3, 2008 5:26:25 PM

14. re to PROTOGENES "The U.S.A. has to be the most backwards country in the western world."

omg, i know right, for the non-americans, america appears to be an ultra conservative, christian country...

Posted by: mr. razzberry | Mar 25, 2009 12:03:09 PM