Crime | Gay Slurs | Indiana | News

Ball State University Student Attacked in Anti-Gay Hate Crime

Flood

Kyle Flood (pictured), a 21-year-old student at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana, and four friends were attacked by two men after leaving a bar early Friday morning, the Star Press reports:

"Flood said the incident happened around 3 a.m. as he and four friends were leaving Moe's bar, where they had been singing karaoke. Two college-age men on foot approached the group as they were at Dill Street and University Avenue and started calling Flood and his friends '[expletive] faggots,' Flood said. When a woman in Flood's party asked one of the men to 'move on,' the man put the woman in a choke hold and threw her to the ground, Flood said. As Flood attempted to intervene, he was knocked to the ground and punched in the face. Flood reported that another man in his group was also attacked. The attackers fled with a third person, who was not involved in the attack, Flood said. Witnesses told Flood they saw the men get into a car at the Ball State Federal Credit Union. Ball State police arrived quickly and attempted to track the men down but were unsuccessful, Flood said. The attack, and the fact that the men remained at-large, has affected Flood's sense of safety. 'I don't think I'll be going to the bars in Muncie in a long time,' Flood said."

Indiana Equality yesterday published a first-hand account of what appears to be the same crime.

Law enforcement called anti-gay attacks rare on campus. Said Ball State University Police Chief Gene Burton: "Let me put it this way, I've seen it before. But I could not tell you the last time."

Ball State student says attack was hate crime [the star press]
Ball State Bias Crime [indiana equality]
(image via flood's wikipedia page)

Comments

1. Oh, so now I'm ranting! LOL! Johnny, I am only stating facts that so many of you in the midwest like to deny. And, have you met Dan E yet? Sounds to me like you two could hook up and have a cute picket fence (with barb wire on top, of course) right there in Muncie and live happily every after! You would be perfect for each other. On another note; I guess in a way it's good you guys are sooo happy with the state of Muncie. It only make me realize how amazingly repressed so many of you still are in "fly over country" and glad I was wise enough to get out before I was also brainwashed. Cheers from the land of acceptance and kindness! Hope you find it someday (especially within yourselves).
    Best of luck to you! :)

Posted by: greg | May 13, 2008 7:12:02 PM

2. I think this best describes what's going on with Greg:

Posted by: johnny | May 14, 2008 7:41:45 AM

3. I don't understand what's wrong with Greg defending a town he lived in for 18 years. I just don't see a problem with it. Let him be. Everyone is judging the town despite the fact that many of you have never even been there. That's unfair.

Posted by: Reese | May 14, 2008 2:20:01 PM

4. So, I know this article is hella old... but I just saw it.

As a frequent visitor to Muncie and the Ball State Campus and a friend of Kyle's, I can say that Muncie is not a homophobic town.

This was an isolated incident and it just kind of bugs me to see people here attacking a campus they clearly know nothing about.

I was JUST at BSU last night to visit by boyfriend (a student there) and we were snuggling in the commons area of his dorm with no incident. We've also walked well all over campus (including the Village, where Kyle's unfortunate incident occurred) with no problems.

BSU actually has a very active and very successful LGBT community which garners much support from all groups of people on campus.

Come see the turnout for the Spectrum drag show sometime (or the afterparty, for that matter) and tell me BSU is a homophobic place.

Posted by: Jake | Oct 22, 2008 11:42:16 AM

5. Munice, Marion, Anderson, Kokomo, Fort Wayne, etc etc etc... Most of the state of Indiana is mouth watering trailer trash. Nothing but ignorant back woods, red neck, homophobic hilly billy types. It's like they're all stuck in some prehistoric type warp. Who's lives have divuldged to nothing more than breeding & Wal-Mart.

Posted by: Shelly O'Kell | Mar 25, 2009 6:25:41 PM

6. Just to be fair, Delaware county actually voted for Obama in the 2008 election.

Posted by: Justin | May 11, 2009 3:21:11 AM

7. Delaware County is a lot more liberal with the help of the 20,000 students at Ball State. It's not quite known if the attacker was a student or a local Muncie resident.

Posted by: Resident | Jun 8, 2009 12:37:16 AM