Burma | Natural Disasters | News

BigGayDeal.com

Myanmar Devastation Revealed in Satellite Photos

Myanmar

Looking at this before and after photo (via joe.my.god and daily dish), it's no wonder that the death toll from Myanmar's deadly cyclone Nargis might exceed 100,000.

Hopefully, the junta will accept foreign aid.

But here's the issue: "'The Burmese military is concerned about white faces...seeing what they’re doing,' said Aung Naing Oo, a Burmese political analyst exiled to Thailand. Others pointed to bureaucratic paralysis. 'Only three people in the whole country can make decisions, one of whom is the senior general’s astrologer,' one foreign aid worker said."

Related
Laura Bush and Burma: Echoes of Disaster [tr]
As Brutal Burma Crisis Continues, Monks Sent to Prison Camps [tr]

Comments

1. What an awful tragedy!

But as I watched and read about aid being delivered and the swift response from Laura Bush, I could not help but feel a slow, burning anger rising from the very pit of my soul with regard to the travesty that was Hurricane Katrina.

I WILL NEVER FORGET!

Posted by: Banjiboi | May 8, 2008 11:46:47 AM

2. larger images -- and an explanation of what to look for -- can be found at http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/nargis_floods.html

Posted by: brainypirate | May 8, 2008 12:32:05 PM

3. Absolutely, BANJIBOI. I think many people are going to compare the responses to the two disasters by the Bush White House. Although, let's not forget, Laura and Baby Bush the Idiot are two different people.

Posted by: Derrick from PHilly | May 8, 2008 12:37:34 PM

4. @ Derrick

Agreed.

But I'll add that I'm reeling from the fact that ANY response to this disaster was quicker than to Katrina.

Posted by: Banjiboi | May 8, 2008 1:25:32 PM

5. @ Derrick

Agreed.

Posted by: Banjiboi | May 8, 2008 1:26:20 PM

6. Well, it was because of Katrina that they responded so quickly this time. I remain skeptical about the numbers being thrown around based on anecdotal reports.

Remember too, that Myanmar refused any foreign aid after the Tsunami and we still don't know how many died there from that.

Posted by: anon | May 8, 2008 7:04:58 PM

7. Also, should not have the astrologer have been able to predict the storm in advance and allowed for evacuation (not to mention that they have perfectly good access to modern satellite data)?

Posted by: anon | May 8, 2008 7:07:50 PM