Christian Siriano | New York | News | Real Estate

Christian Siriano Moves to Fiercely Dilapidated Loft in Brooklyn

Williamsburg_2

Looks kind of 'expired' in this shot, no?

Reports The NY Sun: "Mr. Siriano said he was at first turned off by his building's old, graffiti-covered exterior, but as soon as he saw the inside of the apartment he knew it had to be his. When he moved in three weeks ago, he was the first person on his floor."

Said Siriano: "There's a great little park around here that's like a mini Central Park. On the weekends it's just full of fabulous-looking people on their fabulous bikes...I needed to find a space that was big enough for me to work and live in. Right now my work is my life, and I might as well do everything in one place. Studios in New York are so expensive and they're so small, so I thought, I might as well get two for the price of one."

Comments

1. I'm happy for him--real happy. To be so young and realize your dreams. Great.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 6, 2008 9:33:21 AM

2. Right, Derrick?! Go Ferocia GO!

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jun 6, 2008 9:58:10 AM

3. The relentless use of the word "fabulous" is, in a word, not.

Remember when gay people were known for brilliant and intelligent use of language? When did our vocabularies become so impoverished and so much like a minstrel-show version of the stereotypes of ourselves? Sorry... this guy is a talented designer, but he's also a child.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 6, 2008 10:17:27 AM

4. Alan,
    Remember when gay people didn't bitch about every goddammed thing?

Posted by: crispy | Jun 6, 2008 10:22:43 AM

5. ("Remember when gay people were known for brilliant and intelligent use of language?"

Oh, yes, ALAN! We all owe a great debt to Dorian Corey, Pepper Labeija and Paris Dupree. Those "children" could do some brilliant and intelligent talkin'...chile! (triple Snap!)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 6, 2008 10:30:06 AM

6. Now, I don't know much about NYC, but, I thought the fierce, fabulous, talented gays lived in Manhattan? Brooklyn? Budget? The diva? Wow.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 6, 2008 10:35:14 AM

7. Jeff--
    Anything truly cutting-edge that had to do with the geys in New York in the last 10 years comes out of Brooklyn these days....Manhattan is a soulless void of big box stores and cookie-cutter condos....

Here's the short-list if anybody doubts me...
    Fischerspooner
    Park Slope
    Le Tigre
    Future Perfect
    APC Surplus
    McCarren Pool
    Galapagos

Manhattan still harbors all the sad, gym obsessed, Manhunt addicted queens that live in studio apartments with a tiny dog, an industrial strength bottle of lube, a Jennifer Convertibles sofa, a coke dusted John Blair White Card, and a few LIRR passes to get out to Tired Island every other week..

Posted by: 718 | Jun 6, 2008 10:58:51 AM

8. Derrick,

Don't even try to explain the ova-ness of it all! Now we can't expect all of God's Gay Children to accept their Legacy of Loveliness, can we? My first impulse was to read him down and serve fierce shade, but that would have been quite tired.

Hopefully in due time, our cranky friend will relax and enjoy the fabulousness within. Perhaps he'd even join me for an evening strong, smart cocktails and boy watching at The Hangar - that is if he can still "do" The Village (4 quadruple snaps in a backwards Z formation).

Posted by: banjiboi | Jun 6, 2008 11:04:52 AM

9. Beg pardon, 718, but where's the ethnic diversity on that list? That list reflects the sad, soulless, pesudo-hipsters who are just as bad as the muscle queens in Chelsea. Unfortunately, BK is turning into Manhattan. I guess you missed the irony, huh?

Take it from someone who was born, raised and still lives there.

You left out some important black-owned spots that cater to a more diverse crowd:

Langston's (House and Hip Hop)
    The Starlight Lounge
    That Bar
    Ginger's Bar

Wish I could list more.*

Posted by: banjiboi | Jun 6, 2008 11:17:09 AM

10. "Heidi Slimane
    Butt Magazine
    Vice Magazine...APC Surplus"

Which are from Paris, Amsterdam, Montreal, and Paris respectively.

"Fischerspooner
    electroclash
    Larry Tee's re-emergeance"

How are any of those good things? YMMV, of course.

And don't knock all of Manhattan-upper Manhattan (where I live) still has real human beings, unlike downtown. I live in Manhattan and wouldn't know where to get cocaine, let alone want to ever try it, hate dance music and clubs, have never been to Fire Island, and am tired of online hookups.

In general, all of NYC is quite tired, to be honest. There is more honest, less careerist and more interesting stuff going on in other cities in the USA-even (gasp!) in the much maligned middle of the country.

Posted by: Charles | Jun 6, 2008 11:58:48 AM

11. BANJIBOI, 718 is too busy chasing after "sad, gym obsessed, Manhunt addicted queens..." to be concerned with diversity.

You gotta feel for him though. He thinks Williamsburg's art scene and Le Tigre are "cutting edge". The John Blair reference should have tipped me off.

My cleaning woman lives in Brooklyn and I have to call 311 practically every week to have her hot water turned back on. So you can't accuse me of not having compassion for the residents of the burb. ;)

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jun 6, 2008 11:59:44 AM

12. "Fischerspooner
    electroclash
    Larry Tee's re-emergeance"

These things are over. Or ov-ah, in the vernacular.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 6, 2008 12:20:33 PM

13. The mentally dilapidated Ms. Siriano is the latest gay Stepin' Fetchit [Stepin' Fagitt?]. But MUCH uglier! The castrato Luv Child of Chris Kattan and Carsssssson Kressssssley. To wit and style what Velveeta is to Brie.

Flush.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Jun 6, 2008 12:43:40 PM

14. John,

That's cool, as long as you don't dial 311 on her behalf because the mad fag upstairs REFUSES to turn down that damned stereo!

Posted by: banjiboi | Jun 6, 2008 12:49:09 PM

15. Shut the fuck up, Michael Bedwell. No one embodies a bigger stereotype than you... the bitter anger-queen.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 6, 2008 1:00:18 PM

16. I'm so bored by Siriano's schtick. Is there a real person in there?

Posted by: Dan | Jun 6, 2008 1:04:38 PM

17. there are no really cool neighborhoods in New York City these days. it's become a playground for the rich. especially with "celebs" like Siriano moving into Brooklyn.

I just found out Real World Brooklyn is filming 10 minutes away from me. Color me upset.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 6, 2008 1:18:36 PM

18. @ Alex

*******************************Sigh*******************************
    (Turns on turntable, cues "My City Was Gone" by The Pretenders)

Posted by: banjiboi | Jun 6, 2008 2:00:11 PM

19. LELAND,

would you call Truman Capote or Quentin Crisp gay versions of "Stepin' Fetchit"? How can you be a stereotype and brilliant at the same time?

Stepin' Fetchit (Lincoln Perry) was a brilliant comic screen performer. If white folks were too racist to understand him, and black folks found him too painfully embarrassing to appreciate... well, too bad.

One thing that "queens" like Siriano learn very early is to not give a flaming fuck what others(straights & especially, gays) think about you. If you do, they'll steal your soul.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 6, 2008 2:01:29 PM

20. How quickly this discussion became talk of labels and trends and what's "cool" or "over," whatever they mean. Used to be people were proud of who they were no matter what, not always comparing themselves to trends.

And Derrick, I think being a stereotype and being brilliant can absolutely be mutually exclusive. Al Jolson was brilliant. He also performed as a stereotype. Quentin Crisp's gag was that he WAS a stereotype, and he knowingly milked it. He was brilliant, too.

But let's be honest here. Siriano is not Quentin Crisp. He's simply not smart enough to be. And the Crisp thing was mastered 60 years ago. Can we move forward? We can, but not with our heads planted up our Versaces.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 6, 2008 2:17:24 PM

21. ALAN,

when Al Jolson did black-face, yes, he was a stereotype because he couldn't feel or respect, or love what it was he was portraying. When he played a Jewish entertainer in "Jazz Singer" he was brilliant because his characterization was "real" from the heart.

Wnen Stepin' Fetchit, Louise Beavers, Hattie MacDaniel, Eddie "Rochester" Anderson or Louie Armstrong did their thing in the movies-- they went beyond being stereotypes, and they were brilliant performers. They understood the characters they portrayed in ways that the white screenwriters who created them never could.

When effeminate gay males achieve excellence in any endeaver (even holding an intelligent conversation), they go beyond being a stereotype. No matter what their speech, walk, mannerisms are-- they can't be stereotypes and complete human beings at the same time. Their humanity makes them more than a stereotype.

Some gay men can look at young Siriano with contempt, but he is a winner...so far. I hope he loves himself enough to tell "non-stereotypical" gay men to go fuck them-selves.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 6, 2008 2:39:55 PM

22. Alan, I think you missed the pointed sarcasm of some of the earlier posts.

But I suppose you can call those statements out as being typically gay-bitchy as well, if you're so inclined. But I think the larger point is, gee whiz, let the kid be a gay kid! For some of us who grew up in the pre-internet age, there was no universal outlet (for lack of a better term) for us to express ourselves freely as young gay teens/men except for the yearly network coverage of the gay parade which always managed to acknowledge us while taking digs at us at the same time by portraying the most shocking visuals of the events.

The same negative remarks were directed at Chris Crocker, who by the way annoys me just as much as Christian does in some ways, but I attribute my annoyance to what's simply known as the Generation Gap. Yes, it does happen in our community too! I can remember being FAR more flamboyant as a gay teen stomping around The Village, and the contempt I felt from the older gays, when they weren't busy trying to get into my tight l'il pants, that is!

Believe me, society at large is way more sophisticated when it comes to acknowledging the different aspects of our community, so you don't have to worry about outside perceptions. In fact, the flamboyant queen has long been replaced by the Anderson Cooper (sorry Coop)/Ellen DeGeneres/Will & Grace template of the palatable homosexual anyway.

So let's embrace the little gay imp in all "her" fabulositiveness. Life's too fricken short!

Posted by: banjiboi | Jun 6, 2008 2:55:04 PM

23. BANJIBOI,

it's funny that you live in Brooklyn and this thread has gone in the direction that it has. I had friends who lived in Fort Greene. Going to the parties at Jerry's & Roberto's was what "gay" was all about to me. THe guests ranged from homothugs to drag queens, college professors to dishwashers, etc. DIVERSITY was the main characterstic of their gatherings and that's what I thought the "gay world" was going to be about.

Everytime we get on a topic like this on this blog and others, I get so angry, and then disgusted, and then as cynical as a queenie bitch can be. I've been observing gay boys & men for the last 45 of my 50 years. If gay men were as traditionally masculine as they think they are...well, none of us would have use for those rubber dingdongs...I mean, dildos.

Don't take yourselves so serious, boys--unless you got a body like Reggie Bush or Channing Tatum. If not, shut up...Erkel.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 6, 2008 4:07:11 PM

24. Alan,

re: cool and over.

I moved to NYC 16 years ago. It was just beginning it's massive facelift at the time, so I caught the tailend of a time when it was possible to come here and be an artist and live relatively cheaply. This is not the case any more. A lot of people in creative fields in NYC (and there are tons of us) are increasingly priced out of neighborhoods and it's harder and harder to keep afloat. So we're always obsessed with real estate and trying to hold on to affordable housing without having to move to Jersey or the tail end of Long Island.

It's also harder and harder for up and coming cultural institutions to get a foothold here because the real estate market is crazy. I have a small theater company and it's insane the hoops we have to go through to put a show up for a few performances.

So there's a reason why people get upset over why a city is "with it" or "over." For those of us who came here to pursue a life in the arts, the city's become less hospitable over the last two decades. I'd move if this wasn't one of the few cities with a big theater community.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 6, 2008 4:22:26 PM

25. Somehow, my original point about Christian's paucity of intelligent language, which is far too typical among famous gays for my tastes, got lost in a discussion of brilliance and what is forgivable if a talent is brilliant. My fault on that, for throwing a few extra concepts into my original post.

I completely agree with Alex about what's happening in NYC now; I live there, too, and I'm also completely sick of the changes that have squeezed out most of the reasons I moved here to begin with, 15 years ago. But, by the same token, having real dissatisfaction with the economics of this place is different from thinking things are "over" in the casual, consumerist sense that I am talking about--in the sense that, say, bell bottoms are over.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 6, 2008 5:24:44 PM