Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson | Kiss | News | Steve Carell

Dwayne Johnson and Steve Carell Discuss Brave Man-on-Man Kiss

Getsmart

Steve Carell and Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson applauded their own courage for locking lips for the upcoming feature Get Smart in an interview with the AP:

Said Carell: "The Rock has softer lips. I guess I could say that. He smells like strawberry shortcake. For me, that's why they call him The Rock. He rocks people's worlds...He is such a good guy. We just laughed that whole day. That was a total no-brainer in terms of that scene. There was never one moment of hesitation or awkwardness. He's game for anything, let me put it that way."

Said Johnson: "It was just one of those things where I thought well, you know, 'What could be the most entertaining and funniest moment that we could think of that would still make sense and still kind of root in reality?' We came up with a great kiss. 'I thought if Jake Gyllenhaal can do it, Will Smith can do it, then I can do it, too. I'm going to own it. I was like, 'Give me those lips right now. Right now.'"

So brave.

Check out the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I absolutely refuse to crucify Will for NOT kissing that man in SDOS. The man was 25 years old and virtually the only up and coming young black actor in Hollywood, which by the way is still pretty much homophobic. And he wasn't about to jeopardize his career over a man-o-man kiss. I look at him now and "judge" him on the merits of the man he is TODAY! Not in 1993.

Uuu-kay! Had to get that out of my system. Now let me go back to drooling over Dwyane!

Posted by: Shabaka | Jun 11, 2008 4:48:34 PM

2. Maybe we should ask Seann William Scott how "brave" Dwayne was when they co-starred in "The Rundown".

Dwayne was a lot "braver" then. Supposedly, he actually put his lips someplace else besides another man's .... lips.

Posted by: steve | Jun 11, 2008 5:21:18 PM

3. Shabaka, I can overlook Smith's fear of kissing another man on film back then, but I can't forget how he degraded gays when he talked about it afterwards. The negative message he put out there at a time when it was already so rough to be gay was too much to take. The fact that he is pals with Cruise and his anti-gay cult now just reinforces the issue for me.

Posted by: paul | Jun 11, 2008 5:21:19 PM

4. Hello people! Don't you remember that kiss that Will Smith did in Hitch? It was when he's trying to teach the guy when to expect a kiss and the guys goes all the way and kisses him.

Posted by: Jackie | Jun 11, 2008 5:42:20 PM

5. Being a Scientologist? Now that, PAUL, I can castrate him for. I just need to get my facts 2gthr. He keeps denying it. He told Us magazine that he isn't back in December. But he had told men's Vogue magazine like a month prior, that he had "studied" it...So we'll see. As for the comments made after the "kiss"...Again, twenty something struggling black actor in Hollywood in the 90's? I won't be casting any stones, my friend!

Posted by: Shabaka | Jun 11, 2008 7:07:16 PM

6. am i the only one who has always gotten a gay vibe from 'the rock' ? doesn't suprise me a bit that a kiss was the first thing to pop into his head

Posted by: el polacko | Jun 11, 2008 7:20:26 PM

7. Will Smith is absolutely a clam.

$cientology totally has their claws in he and Jada. Prior to their getting together, Ms. Pinkett had more than a few sapphist rumors applied to her as well.

Posted by: Xenu Love | Jun 12, 2008 12:56:20 AM

8. Alan Arkin is just made of awesome!

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Jun 12, 2008 1:40:31 AM

9. The Rock, rocks.

Posted by: chuck | Jun 12, 2008 2:00:45 AM

10. I guess I could overlook the stupidity of their comments just to see these two hotties kiss.

Posted by: Veronica Trash | Jun 12, 2008 5:28:18 AM

11. Will Smith is the male and black version of Paris Hilton....talentless and therefore famous for who knows what reason.

I used to be in love with Denzel, but then I found out about his overtly religious, controlling ways.

Posted by: Lubridan | Jun 12, 2008 7:50:29 AM

12. The kiss is probably "comedy gold" within the context of the film. The Rock plays a hotshot and Carrell is a bumbling dork.

It's irritating that the backward media forces actors to address this stuff ("omg, what was THAT like?"), but then again I'm now interested in GET SMART. Well played, AP!

Posted by: troyS | Jun 12, 2008 1:15:50 PM

13. I agree who cares 2 guys kissing , whats more important is have they made a least a watchable film version of one of the great Buck Henry written & produced Comedy Series of the 60s.? There have been so many AWFUL TV show big screen remakes , I hope they havent ruined Get Smart as well I LOVE Don Adams and Barbara Feldon in the original. yeah Will Smith caved to the pressure to not kiss in SDOS. Denzel told him he would NEVER work again if he did it. Despite all the chain blingin gun totin bitch slappin ,pimpin & Ho'ing Black Media is very conservative and silent when it comes to Gay issues.
    The ROCK is So HOT & a real nice guy from several ppl in the bizness word. Ughh...
    Black /Samoan.. is there any more of a recipie for horse meat?

Posted by: Agent 69 | Jun 12, 2008 4:27:50 PM

14. STEVE, are you trying to state that Sean William Scott and The Rock, hooked up during the movie they made?

I have heard things about SWS, but not The Rock...

Posted by: Davy | Jun 12, 2008 6:28:22 PM

15. I'd love for Dwayne to try and get me pregnant. He probably couldn't since I'm a guy but it'd be so much fun trying. Will and TommmyBoy can go screw each other's brains out for all I care. They dropped off my radar a long time ago. I only have eyes for The Rock since I read an interview with him a few years back where he talked to the interviewer sporting a big ol hard on. It was first thing in the morning and he couldn't be bothered trying to hide it. I love big beautiful Black/Samoan men with muscles and hard ons.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 12, 2008 9:54:55 PM

16. Oh for pete's sake. It's not like they nominated themselves for a Nobel prize (or even a GLAAD award, for that matter). Just because lots of folks are so over caring about kissing guys, doesn't mean that it doesn't catch peoples' attention when it happens. So they get asked a stupid question, and they answered it, and now... you guys are crucifying them over it??? Move along, nothing to see here...

Posted by: Kenji | Jun 17, 2008 5:44:39 PM

17. Get Smart is a BAD movie.

Kiss SPOILER below....

It's done at the climax of the movie: Carell uses the kiss to distract Mr. Rock (who has turned villain) so he can kill him. Ta da!

Posted by: Bill W | Jun 18, 2008 12:11:07 PM

18. he kissed the guy kevin james in hitch...

Posted by: audreyy21 | Oct 5, 2011 11:04:37 PM