Episcopal Church | Gene Robinson | News | Religion

GQ Profiles Gay Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson

Gener

GQ has published a lengthy profile (maybe the best I've read) on gay Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson, who recently entered into a civil union with his partner Mark Andrew. Here's just a tiny bit, about Robinson and his former wife, Isabella Martin, known to him and others as Boo:

"The day they divorced, Gene and Boo knelt before the altar, asked for each other’s forgiveness, and pledged themselves to the joint raising of their children. Then they re-exchanged their rings, as symbols of the vows to which they no longer held each other. He still has hers, and she his. 'One thing I say to couples in premarital counseling is that the church isn’t kidding when they say this is forever,' he says. 'Even if you’re divorced in less than a year and you don’t see them for the rest of your life, you’ll always be emotionally connected to this person. I say this because I know. Boo and I divorced in 1986, and I still love her.' By the time Gene Robinson ended his marriage and came out of the closet, New Hampshire’s Episcopalians had known him for eleven years. They were shocked but, with a few exceptions, not up in arms. The man had brought love, transparency, and the truth as he knew it to their children and their families for more than a decade. Why would he stop now?"

Read it here.

Comments

1. It's a shame that "former wife" or "ex-wife" will always have more social significant and validation than "partner", "civil partner", "life partner", "lover", "soul mate" or any other nomer short of "husband" or "wife" even when former might have been founded in deceit and going against one's nature while the latter, for a gay person, would be founded in truth and within one's nature.

I have a friend who won't refer to the mother of his children as his "ex-wife" for that reason, even though his kids' mother is his second best friend. He chooses to do this not to disrespect her but to honor and respect his husband. I never thought about it before meeting him but after he shared this with me it made so much sense.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 19, 2008 3:36:28 PM

2. That write-up made me cry a bit. Really really great stuff.

Thanks for posting this, as GQ has been off my reading table for some time now.

Posted by: Brend | Jun 19, 2008 4:05:20 PM

3. Maybe I'm being overly romantic here, Z, but I think social acceptance/significance is way overrated. Yeah, it's annoying as hell to know that some people don't view your relationship as "valid", but at the end of the day all that matters is the love that exists between you and your husband--or in your beautiful case, you, your husband, and your kid. People are in "significant" marriages and don't have near what you have.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 19, 2008 4:19:32 PM

4. I recently had the pleasure of meeting Bishop Robinson at a book signing and I can see why the people of New Hampshire sought him out as bishop. He is a truly genuine person filled with love and caring.

Posted by: Ed | Jun 19, 2008 4:26:33 PM

5. Jim Nelson has been doing a kickass job at GQ since he took over a few years ago. Great fashion and photography. Insightful features on critically important subjects (nuclear energy, the shameful neglect of veterans, politics). And very gay inclusive.

Posted by: 24play | Jun 19, 2008 4:31:12 PM

6. I agree with 24Play. I recently read an issue of GQ for the first time in many years, and it was far better than I remember it. The articles were very well done and pretty extensive (a la Vanity Fair). I don't know Jim Nelson from Adam's house cat, but someone's doing a good job there.

Posted by: Kyle Childress | Jun 19, 2008 4:36:24 PM

7. THAT was from GQ?! What an amazing piece! I was almost in tears when they were describing the ceremony. I think I might have to pick up an issue for more than just the pictures.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 19, 2008 9:39:15 PM

8. Well there's a man who likes to have his cake and eat it too.

Posted by: Nonplussed | Jun 20, 2008 7:25:43 AM

9. Mmm ; cake.

What an excellent article, hope it wins its category.

Posted by: PM | Mar 23, 2009 3:58:17 PM

10. In the Episcopal Church, a bishop elected within a few months of the National Convention needs their approval to be consecrated. My problem with GR+ is that he represented to the other lay and clergy delegates as well as the House of Bishops that he was a priest who just happened to be openly partnered/gay and simply wanted to be a quiet shepherd to his small New Hampshire flock.
    This, as we now know was false. He is a publicity hound and LGBT activist, and it appears always intended to be such, his self-serving "I was forced to be" notwithstanding. Deceit is not a virtue in any person of any orientation, and even less so in a clergyman.

Posted by: Contrarian | Mar 23, 2009 10:14:07 PM

11. How come towleroad doesnt let you post stories to facebook after you click 'after the jump' or from the 'permalink' page?

Posted by: Drewboo | Mar 25, 2009 10:10:11 AM