Fire Island | New York | News

Gay Men Arrested for Public Sex on Fire Island

At least three people have been detained or arrested and charged with lewd conduct on Fire Island for activity taking place between Cherry Grove and Fire Island in the area familiarly known as the "meat rack" since June 13.

LmpcRadar Online reports: "Few details are known—the National Park Service has not yet confirmed the arrests or said why they have now begun patrolling the land. On the weekend of Friday, June 13, at least one gay man was detained in the small wooded area popularly called The Meat Rack, which is both a cruising ground and also a thoroughfare between the two gay towns of Fire Island, Cherry Grove and The Pines. The following weekend, at least two were arrested. In the first event, an eyewitness said he saw five or six rangers with a gay man (described as somewhat overweight and clad in khakis and a polo shirt) on his knees and in handcuffs. The men were searched after their arrests. In the other event, a man was stopped and 'panicked and tried to get rid of the drugs,' according to a second-hand report by one Cherry Grove resident; that man was either charged with possession or detained further and charged. The man arrested with him was given a citation for $125 for engaging in lewdness, that resident said."

According to Choire Sicha at Radar, the arrests are the first of their kind on Fire Island.

Last week I reported that the National Park Service had announced it would be cracking down on public sex in the dunes outside Provincetown, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod.

Comments

1. "Good, arrest every one of them. It's against the LAW."

And before Lawrence only 5 years ago, gay sex was against the LAW in some 14 states.

Arrest every one of them!

Sheep.

"The meat rack is not your typical gay cruising place. Nearly everyone who wanders through is gay, and the majority who do are not using it a thoroughfare, but are looking for sex."

That sounds exactly like a typical gay cruising place to me. They are hardly ever "public" in the sense of being mostly non-gay or mostly non-looking-for-sex.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jun 24, 2008 11:51:43 AM

2. I second Sebastian's comments. I could care less who is doing what to whom...just keep it in the privacy of your room (bedroom, kitchen, bath - whatever). There's a bar in the Palm Springs/Cat City area whose owners are whining because the police cracked down on oral and anal 'stuff' going on in the bar. They claimed descrimination against gays...pu-leez.

Posted by: Jack Scribe | Jun 24, 2008 11:59:37 AM

3. Curly, again you miss the picture, it is against the law, does that have any merit in your head.

Far too many gay men have accepted that this is CORRECT behavior and nothing could be further for the truth.

If we were so proud of this behavior why aren't we discussing it at the office party, with our friends, writing it on our blogs, come on share with us the last time you had sex in a public place. Share your stories!!

It is our dirty little secret that so many gays endorse, support and make available this type of behavior; well it is against the law.

If you (Curly and others) are so committed to that logic, go out, have sex outdoors or in a public place, get arrested and use that statement when you are fined or maybe in court. If you are so committed to that bit of logic test it out and see what happens, please report back here what you discover.

Posted by: Charles | Jun 24, 2008 12:01:46 PM

4. Overweight on Fire Island???...that's the real reason he was being arrested.

And that sign is so fucking stupid and hurts the cause.

Posted by: Derek | Jun 24, 2008 12:06:04 PM

5. Wow. People will twist all sorts of logic to excuse their lame behavior.

Years ago, I used to hike at a city park that I did not know what a gay cruising spot. I found out the Saturday afternoon that this guy parked his van directly behind my car, preventing me from backing out, forcing me to leave my car and walk to his driver's side window. Luckily for me, I packed a knife - worried more about being mugged than sexually accosted. I asked him to move his vehicle. He asked me what my hurry was and I was 'awful cute.' I showed him the knife and told him I'd slice his f'n face if he didn't move his van.

He moved his van. I never returned to that park. I dislike the fact that I can't go to that park because of the rampant cruising. I don't care if Paul Walker and Marcus Patrick came up to me in that park and begged me to double bang them in the bushes - I wouldn't do it. Not because I think it's gross or unsafe, but because it's against the law. I don't want to go to jail. I don't want my name in the paper for public lewdness and sexual misconduct. Etc etc.

So unless these folks are going to buy the land and make it a private gay-only sex park, they've no options other than to suffer the consequences if caught.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 24, 2008 12:09:53 PM

6. Kevin in VT,

Point taken--I was just trying to make clear that the meat rack is not like a rest stop or a public restroom or the Ramble in Central Park, gay cruising areas which are also frequented by straight people.

Posted by: Curly | Jun 24, 2008 12:10:33 PM

7. Clearly most of the posters here have never been to the Meatrack on Fire Island. This is not just a lovely little park that the general public happens to wander through. It is a heavily wooded bramble that is between two almost exclusively gay villages - The Pines and Cherry Grove. The few straight people who live in these areas know full well what the Meatrack is, and if they so desire, how to walk through it without encountering any sexual behavior. Heck - I went into it a few times last summer specifically to check out all the "lewd" behavior, like a tourist would check out any natural wonder. Alas, I didn't see a darn thing.

In most parks I would agree - no one has the right to force their sexuality on unknowing passersby. But the FI Meatrack is a very different animal.

Posted by: gay as life | Jun 24, 2008 12:16:47 PM

8. CHARLES, if you ever venture out of your housing project and make it out to Fire Island, you'll see how shitastically uninformed your comments are. Be sure to douche first as you sound impacted.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jun 24, 2008 12:22:09 PM

9. Reading the majority of these comments, I am disgusted. All you sex negative judgmental assholes make me sick. I'm happy to be against you jerks. I could just see you all in the 80s at an ACT UP meeting, NOT. "Oh no, we can't do a sit in, that's illegal. Oh no, we shouldn't stop traffic, it will make us all look bad."

Have any of you sex-in-public-is-wrongsters ever been to Fire Island Pines or Cherry Grove??? Do you know the area at all?????
    Go read up on the meatrack somewhere, educate yourself. The meatrack has been going strong since the 30s, and in my last 25 years here in NY have never heard of anyone getting arrested there for public sex. There are no families and there are no children walking through, clueless about what they may see. This is a secluded park area located between 2 gay towns on an island with no cars, accessible only by boats. Nothing like P-Town.

As for Charles, why don't you come out and hang with me and my friends. We talk about our sexcapades at dinner parties all the time, even with our straight friends. We have nothing to be ashamed about. Further, I call you out on your challenge and straw man argument. No one is saying we should just have sex anywhere at anytime in front of CHILDREN. Gay men have sex is secluded areas where children are absent. Do it during the day, where you'll be seen, fine, get arrested. But if you are deep in The Ramble at midnight, there should be no issue. Same in the Meatrack.

God, I can't wait to move back to Germany. You would be openly laughed at for your puritanical attitudes. Even by the clergy.

Posted by: Will | Jun 24, 2008 12:23:21 PM

10. Although the meat rack is a somewhat secluded place and some guys get off on doing it in a dangerous area, it is against the law. The real irony here is they could easily just walk to their beach house and do it.
    Also I do think if straight men could do it as freely, it would be just as common. It’s a guy thing. We do think about sex a lot and would do it more if the opportunity was there.

Posted by: Bob West | Jun 24, 2008 12:27:08 PM

11. Do people REALLY still go out to Fire Island???

It's all about the Hamptons baby

Posted by: daveynyc | Jun 24, 2008 12:31:18 PM

12. I broke the law in at least Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma because I had sex there with my boyfriend before 2003. (there may have been more...)

Some of you apparently think I should have been arrested because "it was against the law."

Charles: Not my most recent "public" sex adventure, but my favorite: after testifying at the VT marriage hearings in 2000 we stopped off at a rest area on the way home and played with a good handful of people, including the recent editor of the local gay paper (we think -- it was dark).

In Amsterdam in the 90s gay activists actually stopped the city from cutting down the bushes in a central park that was popular with cruisers.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jun 24, 2008 12:35:40 PM

13. "...CORRECT behavior" and "...proud of this behavior..."

CHARLES,

not all gay people share the same values, sense of morality, sexual/social preferences. It is not those of us who defend public meeting places for gays & homos(that also may involve sex) who are forcing our views/behavior on y'all. It's the opposite. Y'all are telling us what to do--even though we are far away from public view.

Also, these public parks are not just "sexual", they are also "social". During the day-time, many of these parks are places where gay people (and folks in the closet) go to sit around in the grass, or by the river and just talk, play music, dance, etc...without the bullshit and confinement of the bar scene. For some of us, other gay social venues just don't work, or they don't work all the time.

If it weren't for our "Gay Acres" area of Fairmount Park, I would have had no social life during the 1980s in Philadelphia--other gay social venues made me uncomfortable, and bored the hell outta' me.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 24, 2008 12:38:12 PM

14. oh you fags - you fags - obviously some of you have never spent a wild night of passion on a moonlit beach in the arms of a wild,hunky man (in my case a short but very well hung mexican who knew every g-spot on my voluptuous body) --

Posted by: the queen | Jun 24, 2008 12:38:34 PM

15. Your comment John was uninspiring with nothing was really said, is that your nature?

Will, be sure to make your flight to Germany, but you are in America and laws apply until they are changed.

Also send me an email with your friends attached I would love to have an exchange with your group of friends regarding your sexual adventures. I just want to test what you are saying is true because it is easy say but hard do of which I do not believe you.

I highly doubt you are sharing your sexual activities with others. Maybe it would go something like this:

Will: Sorry I am late

Jack: where were you?

Will: I was sucking some guy off in Central Park

Jack: how hung was he, cut or uncut

Will: about 8 but really thick and uncut

Susan: were you talking about sucking someone off.

Jack and Will: Yep

Susan: Was he hot?

Will: he was OK but his cock was thick about 8 inches, he took a while to cum

Susan: my boyfriend cums so soon how can I get him to last

Jack: hold his balls

Will: yeah I worked on it for about 15 minutes before he blew his load

Jack: that is awesome

Susan: you gay guys are so cool

Posted by: Charles | Jun 24, 2008 12:43:10 PM

16. Derrick please try to understand that social and sexual are VERY different.

I have been social with gay men in Central Park, Black's Beach in San Diego, Wreck Beach in Vancouver, The Rocks of Chicago and countless other places (from Brazil to Istanbul) met some AWESOME guys and when I wanted to be sexual we went back to an indoor place for sex.

Do you see the difference?

Posted by: Charles | Jun 24, 2008 12:48:32 PM

17. If straight men could get laid in the bushes as easily as gay men, I have a feeling a lot of these crackdowns wouldn't be happening. Whatever your opinion of outdoor sex in public (but not really public) spaces--gross or glorious, or a little of both--to pretend that there is no anti-gay bias attached to these sudden clean-ups is very naive. They're fueled by resentment. People can't stand the idea of other people getting away with something they either can't participate in or find icky.

Derrick (you rock) put it all so finely, I hardly need to say more, but in a world where people do harmful things to one another every day, it seems law enforcement would have better things to do than chase after guys harmlessly getting it on in some patch of nature where anyone not interested in sex is unlikely to travel. I just wish they'd outlaw things I find personally offensive, like public cell phone conversations, unsupervised bratty children, and sidewalk spitting.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 24, 2008 12:58:37 PM

18. Don't worry Charles, I won't miss my flight when my stint back here in NYC is over. Best thing, people like you will be here and I won't. I've been back for 6 months and already I've had my fill of moralists like you. I always say, you can always tell a moralist, you just can't tell him much.

Nice imagination by the way. Will & Grace, how original. How juvenile to go into such graphic detail. All we would talk about is when, where and usually how big. If you have never has such a conversation, you are the first gay I've ever "met" that didn't.

Posted by: Will | Jun 24, 2008 12:59:16 PM

19. Wow- if this is what Gay Marriage has wrought, uptight little househusbands scolding the neighbors for having sex in the bushes- I guess we've achieved the equality we've been demanding.

Posted by: dc8stretch | Jun 24, 2008 1:10:36 PM

20. I'd freely admit to having had some fun in the Meat Rack during the few times I've been to Fire Island. But I also noticed that practically NO ONE "cruised" during the day at the bars and the same guys who won't give you the time of day ...during the day...are the same ones prowling the Meat Rack late at night or partied off their ass at the Pavilion and on the hunt.

Why can't gay men just be "comfortable" with the sexuality and actually talk to each other in bars?

Posted by: qjersey | Jun 24, 2008 1:25:11 PM

21. To compare the right to marry with the "right" to have sex in public is immature thinking. Because gays want the “right” to marry does not make us conservative. Was this true for Blacks during the 60s with Civil Rights or Women in the early 1900s? Did these rights make these groups conservative, narrow minded as some of these posters here want us to believe? Again these are the harsh words that gays will use to “keep it real”, “you don’t want to be like the straights”, “stay edgy” that is the way you will be identified as authentically gay. Your attempts for rights will only make you look less gay.

The only thing behavior I need to make me gay is that I am attracted (physically and sexually) to men, all the rest need not apply for admittance to gayness.

Such banal thinking it is truly pathetic.

These words (Will, DC8, Ernie) are used to stall a conversation; these little quips are not asking or posing any thought provoking responses or sharing.

Also Will to compare ACT UP and what it was doing to achieve awareness, understand, monies etc during the AIDS epidemic to the right to have public sex is absolutely STUPID and RUDE; you should be ashamed of yourself for that.

If you guys are so PASSIONATE about gay sex and TRULY WANT the law repealed, start the process. That is right attend your local chapter meetings, bring it up, start petitions, get signatures, oh I am sure you will not do that. You will complain but you are not TRULY passionate about it make a STRONG attempt to change it; I am sure you have all sorts of excuses for that.

As it stands it is against the law.

Posted by: Charles | Jun 24, 2008 1:36:13 PM

22. Will, Don't get me wrong, I complain all the time about what a puritanical society we live in, but, am I supposed to believe that there are NO moralists or puritanical people in Germany? Sounds nice but I somehow doubt it. In fact, isn't our current Pope from Germany?

Posted by: JJ | Jun 24, 2008 1:52:19 PM

23. No Charles, what is stupid is your simplistic argument that you keep coming back to, it is illegal and therefor cannot be done. Re my comments, same argument, difference in degree only. Illegal is illegal.

Be ashamed?? No thanks, not when there are people like you ready to be ashamed for all of us.

I don't have a problem with people who don't want sex in public (at night in secluded areas not visible to anyone walking by), I have a problem with moralists who tell us what we can and cannot do in our own space. That includes the meatrack, and gay bars, and bathhouses, etc. And the fact that moralizing gay men are among the pearl clutchers just pisses me off.

Posted by: Will | Jun 24, 2008 1:55:23 PM

24. JJ, they are everywhere, but their voice is but a whisper in Germany compared to the full-throated howl heard here in the US. Also, they have no support in the popular culture or in the mass media and where opponents of gay relationships and marriage are only right wing loonies, which includes the church. BTW, the Pope is from a rural, conservative part of Bavaria, not quite the mainstream.

Further, there are no police raids in cruising areas, unless it is notorious during the day. There, like here, people are discreet and it harms no one. As a whole, western Europe has a much healthier attitude about sex than Americans.

Posted by: Will | Jun 24, 2008 2:02:11 PM

25. It's not a public place like Times Square where gaggles of tourists are. It is a nature area between two predominantly gay retreats which for ages has been a rendez-vous locale away from all the hustle and bustle and bullshit of life.

So quit being so sanctimonious and uptight. Everything has become so measured and restricted and dictated and PC and this dry, corporate-minded sterile mentality. Blech.

No more fun or spontaneous thrills. How boring.

Self-righteous high-minded jerks.