Advertising | Flamingos | Food & Drink | Great Britain | Kiss | News

BigGayDeal.com

Heinz Deli Mayo Ad Pulled in UK

Heinzkiss_2

So much for progress. The Heinz Deli Mayo ad featuring a "mum" who was replaced by a New York Deli Chef as well as a gay kiss has been pulled from the airwaves in the UK after receiving more than 200 complaints:

"The Heinz Deli Mayo ad has been pulled after less than a week on air after viewers complained to the Advertising Standards Authority that it was 'offensive' and 'inappropriate to see two men kissing'. Other complaints include that the ad was 'unsuitable to be seen by children' and that it raised the difficult problem of parents having to discuss the issue of same-sex relationships with younger viewers. 'It is our policy to listen to consumers. We recognise that some consumers raised concerns over the content of the ad and this prompted our decision to withdraw it,' said Nigel Dickie, director of corporate affairs for Heinz UK."

It's just horrible to see two grown men in a nurturing environment who obviously care for one another, showing the proper way to bring up children.

The ad, if you missed it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm furious. Join me in voicing your anger by emailing:

[email protected]

Posted by: Incredibly vexed | Jun 24, 2008 9:39:47 AM

2. I'm going to call in and complain next time I see an interracial couple showing affection on TV because it just offends me, its unsuitable for children and it forces me to discuss real-world issues with them that I prefer they remain ignorant about.

Please don't penetrate my fragile bubble of small minded intolerance and prejudice.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 24, 2008 9:46:28 AM

3. "the difficult problem of parents having to discuss the issue of same-sex relationships with younger viewers."

This always infuriates me. What exactly is the difficulty? You just explain that some men love men and some women love women, just the same as some men and women love each other.

Dumbledore is gay. Civil partnerships are legal in the UK. How long exactly do these parents think they can carry on telling the lie to their kids that there are no gay people in the world? If you refuse point blank to discuss the existence of homosexuality with them, you're basically causing them to grow up in ignorance of a segment of modern society.

200 complaints really isn't that much in a country of 60 million people, but it's hugely disappointing and frustrating that there are still enough clueless bigots left in the UK to get an ad like this pulled. I wonder how many of them really are the parents of young children, and how many of them actually are people of an older generation who can't get used to seeing gay people treated like ordinary human beings on TV.

Posted by: Sasha | Jun 24, 2008 9:50:53 AM

4. Frustrating email sent, thanks for the email address.

Posted by: Marc | Jun 24, 2008 10:05:17 AM

5. I thought having parents to discuss same-sex relationships to children was exactly the point; to create acceptance at an early age so they don't turn out to be bigots. Am I wrong?

Posted by: yvespaul | Jun 24, 2008 11:17:38 AM

6. I'd suggest also lodging a counter-complaint to the ASA since they're the ones that determine what gets shown and what doesn't:

Posted by: John C | Jun 24, 2008 11:48:44 AM

7. Sasha, what happened sounds more in line with an organized complaint drive, much like the Concerned Women for America, etc. that they have here.

Well, if they want to hold a complaint drive, we can, too. It's time to fire off a few emails complaining that pulling the advert shows a stunning level of intolerance towards the gay community.

Posted by: Tread | Jun 24, 2008 12:17:54 PM

8. This is completely bizarre, considering that civil unions are legal for gay people in the UK.

Posted by: gay as life | Jun 24, 2008 12:19:20 PM

9. Actually, you'll probably never see an interracial couple kiss in a TV commercial.

Posted by: anon | Jun 24, 2008 12:46:06 PM

10. I love a world where 200 people (if they complain enough) can dictate what tens of millions of people can watch.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 24, 2008 12:48:39 PM

11. Heinz through us under the bus because 200 people, in a country of over 50 million, complained.

As Mrs. Slocombe on "Are You Being Served" would say, "WEAK AS WATER!"

And I an UNANIMOUS in that!

I guess the English aren't quite as progressive and live and let live as we've been lead to believe.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 24, 2008 1:00:11 PM

12. what's so darned hard about 'explaining to the children' ?? some people like boys, some people like girls (and some people like both). easy.

Posted by: el polacko | Jun 24, 2008 4:29:18 PM

13. The ASA will collapse like a house of cards over 200 complaints. Heinz doesn't care because it got the publicity out of the ban and they are an inherently closed-mouthed private company. It was pretty bad advertising to begin with. Drop it. There are bigger battles than condiment ads. Also, there is a 'man' in Hellman's.

Posted by: paul | Jun 24, 2008 6:05:32 PM

14. It'll be the activist Christians again. Lay money on it...
    The cunts.

Posted by: Nonplussed | Jun 25, 2008 7:39:40 AM

15. I find this commercial to be comical, not in anyway offensive unless you count the stereotypical NYC deli guy accent. People need to stop emphasizing things that really don't matter. I'm offended by the daily actions of straight couples I see in public, but am I able to say anything about that?

Posted by: MacKenzie Stewart | Jun 27, 2008 8:45:44 AM