Advertising | Food & Drink | News

Heinz Deli Mayo is Perfect for all Kinds of Homes

Heinzkiss

Heinz has just premiered an ad in the UK for its Deli Mayo which features a New York deli chef in the kitchen preparing lunch for the kids and the other parent as they head off to school and work.

Heinz's new ad agency AMV BBDO told The Guardian "that the concept behind the campaign is that the product tastes so good 'It's as if you have your own New York deli man in your kitchen'".

And the households that some of those kitchens are in just happen to be gay. Watch how quickly the ad's concept is twisted from one kind of messaging into another.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Too bad we'll probably never see it in the states.

Posted by: JP | Jun 18, 2008 9:08:03 AM

2. mmmmm

Posted by: jim | Jun 18, 2008 9:09:54 AM

3. I like it! But, I would like it better if the kids had called him "dad." I hate, HATE the idea that one of the men in a homosexual couple needs to be gender identified as "the woman."

Posted by: Michael W. | Jun 18, 2008 9:27:50 AM

4. I agree with you Michael. I hate it when people ask so who's the wife? who does all the cleaning?

If I'm not with someone who can share in domestic chores, I won't be sticking around long.
    Share and share alike.

I still chuckled at the ad though...

Posted by: Marc | Jun 18, 2008 9:48:29 AM

5. @Michael: The idea is that the mum has turned into a New York Deli man. They are not a homosexual couple. If they wanted it to be less metaphorical, they could easily just have the New York Deli man cook with a mum in the kitchen of having him replacing her.

Posted by: VestibuleSublevel | Jun 18, 2008 10:01:18 AM

6. Ah. Thanks, VESTIBULESUBLEVEL. Pardon my obtusiveness (I know that's not a word, but you know what I mean ;) ).

Posted by: Michael W. | Jun 18, 2008 10:25:35 AM

7. I can't believe somebody asked you who is the wife. Where do you live, Mayberry?!

Posted by: crispy | Jun 18, 2008 10:43:56 AM

8. Adorable apart from the "sweetcheeks" bit at the end (a term which has always filled me with a very special sort of horror, somehow).

Posted by: Dave | Jun 18, 2008 10:55:28 AM

9. fyi- When last i checked, heinz had scored very low on the HRC's listing of gay-friendly companies. i doubt they are doing an "about-face."

Posted by: macguffin54 | Jun 18, 2008 11:17:45 AM

10. That is not a gay-friendly ad -- as someone stated above, the idea is that the "mum" has turned into a NY Deli Man. In the vein of so many ads before it, we're supposed to think it's humorous that a tough New York guy would demand a kiss of another man, pack his lunch for him and call him "sweetcheeks." And if Andy was suggesting that the concept of the ad includes the notion that "the households that some of those kitchens are in just happen to be gay," I would have to very respectfully disagree with him.

Posted by: Boomer | Jun 18, 2008 11:32:04 AM

11. Gee, I'd love to have a real Noo Yawk type guy at my disposal to fix my lunch and demand a smooch in the morning.

In fact - I do have one!

Oh, and the commercial is adorable.

Posted by: banjiboi | Jun 18, 2008 11:57:19 AM

12. Gee, I'd love to have a real Noo Yawk type guy at my disposal to fix my lunch and demand a smooch in the morning.

In fact - I do have one!

Oh, and the commercial is adorable.

Posted by: banjiboi | Jun 18, 2008 11:58:55 AM

13. i think the charm and the beauty of this ad is that it ignores the gay implications

its effect is not lost (except on michael, above, apparently :-) because it involves two men kissing. that incidental occurrence shouldn't distract people from the message.

Posted by: tobethatguy | Jun 18, 2008 12:30:29 PM

14. Not on HRC's list of gay-friendly companies?! Well, if HRC says so...

I loved the commercial. I was a little shocked when the little girl called him "mum" because I was still expecting a gay ad (can't help it I guess) but I got over it quick. I giggled, I smiled, I got a little turned on when the two men kissed--Looks good to me.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 18, 2008 12:44:51 PM

15. Totally on the same page as tobethatguy - the message and feel of the ad maintained throughout - the kiss was incidental, just part of the larger meaning. Great commercial - not in your face, easy, and not done for shock value.

Posted by: Stuart | Jun 18, 2008 1:36:30 PM

16. I enjoy all kinds of European commercials for their boldness to be humorous and not care about being "PC"...much like the car commercial a few years back with the cheating husband and his boytoy in the passenger seat...should you really need to dwell on the issue, the ad worked, it got your attention beyond the cost for commercial time on TV

Posted by: michael | Jun 18, 2008 7:06:37 PM

17. At Gay Market News http://www.gaymarketnews.com we report that this makes all the right marketing moves. Gay or otherwise.

It is inclusive, supportive, amusing and likely to be remembered.

In a product category that is very cluttered, achieving positive cut-through and positive brand recognition -- all while being quite clearly gay-comfortable is, we at Out Now believe, to be applauded. Job well done.

Ian Johnson, CEO, Out Now

Posted by: Ian Johnson | Jun 23, 2008 12:13:45 PM

18. Maybe if he turned into the wife at the end people would get the joke or the ad...relax it just mayo...deli mayo...LOL...

Posted by: Oz | Jun 24, 2008 11:42:30 AM

19. I thoroughly loved this ad. It is classic family style 50's in a new light! And The Marketing idiots wouldn't know great schtick if it was you know! Any way, The ad is Priceless and Beautiful.

Posted by: Myles Miller | Jun 25, 2008 11:57:13 PM