Nature | News

BigGayDeal.com

Human Ovulation Captured on Film for First Time

Ovulation1

New Scientist, who published the image, calls it "history in the making." It's the clearest picture ever of an egg being produced by an ovary. Jacques Donnez at the Catholic University of Louvain (UCL) in Brussels, Belgium "captured the event by accident while preparing to carry out a partial hysterectomy on a 45-year-old woman."

More, AFTER THE JUMP...

Ovulation2

New Scientist reports: "The release of an egg was considered a sudden, explosive event, but his pictures, to be published in Fertility and Sterility, show it taking place over a period of at least 15 minutes. Shortly before the egg is released, enzymes break down the tissue in the mature follicle, a fluid-filled sac on the surface of the ovary that contains the egg. This prompts the formation of a reddish protrusion, and after a while a hole appears, from which the egg emerges, surrounded by support cells. It then enters a Fallopian tube, which carries it to the uterus."

Comments

1. Ew. I'm so glad that I'm gay.

Posted by: Icky | Jun 12, 2008 8:50:17 AM

2. Oh grow up. It's where you came from, idiot.

Posted by: don | Jun 12, 2008 8:53:02 AM

3. Gross, lady parts!!

Posted by: crispy | Jun 12, 2008 9:08:28 AM

4. I agree..I did not need to see that first thing... A little too offensive.. :)

Posted by: Osman | Jun 12, 2008 9:19:15 AM

5. Wonderful and amazing

Boys, it won't bit you

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jun 12, 2008 9:24:46 AM

6. I meant it won't "bite" you

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jun 12, 2008 9:26:30 AM

7. Aw, no photo of the corpus hemorrhagicum?

Posted by: oregonstudent | Jun 12, 2008 9:34:47 AM

8. If I wasn't gay before, I am now...

Posted by: Lee | Jun 12, 2008 9:45:36 AM

9. idiots.

Posted by: CM | Jun 12, 2008 9:59:03 AM

10. This is absolutely fascinating. I've always wondered how that worked.

Posted by: cm | Jun 12, 2008 10:00:26 AM

11. Oh GOOD LORD, it may be natural,but i am not in the medical profession, and really did NOT need to see that. DAMN.

Posted by: Sonnie | Jun 12, 2008 10:09:58 AM

12. Yeah, bet y'all don't mind looking at all those billions of sticky little sperms running all over the place...especially, when they first emerge, I mean, skeet out!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 12, 2008 10:10:41 AM

13. My parents told me the stork brought me.

Why does this remind me of caviar?

Posted by: anon | Jun 12, 2008 12:19:43 PM

14. Andy, this is exactly what AFTER THE JUMP was made for.

Now please excuse me as I go barf out the lunch that I just ate.

Posted by: Butter | Jun 12, 2008 12:36:44 PM

15. Wow! As beautiful and miraculous as that is, I soooo wish I hadn't just eaten. (Seriously.)

o_O;;

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Jun 12, 2008 1:21:25 PM

16. Regardless of what it is, I don't think a photo like this has a logical place on this website. Some people have weak stomachs, and can't handle looking at "O.R." photos. More appropriate for a medical website, or was the intent to make us gay guys squeal in horror (sigh!)?

Posted by: Jack | Jun 12, 2008 1:23:29 PM

17. Maybe if it were a famous ovary we would be more interested and wouldn't find it so repulsive.
    Who holds the copyright to the photo, the lady whose ovary is exposed or the doctor who photographed it?

Posted by: key | Jun 12, 2008 1:54:29 PM

18. That's actually interesting, but most of us aren't going to be too concerned about an ovulation except for the one that took place nine months before we were born.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 12, 2008 2:10:01 PM

19. holy effing christ! i can't believe what you frigging queens are 'ewwing' about. it's SCIENCE and NATURE. if you looked after the jump then you're a fucking idiot that didn't deserve to have come from an egg all those eons ago. sometimes you people just make me want to scream. if you don't want to look at it, DON'T. move on to the next story about som shirtless celebrity you jack off to at night in your lonely apartment. i'm sure the science and wonder of 'nature' will be apparent the next time you watch a guy get double fisted on XTube.

Posted by: el smrtmnky | Jun 12, 2008 6:56:39 PM

20. I have to disagree with many of you. I actually come to Towleroad because it offers a wide variety of information, not just "gay news." The responses here are very surprising. Why not just go read Perez if you want shallow reporting?

Posted by: John | Jun 12, 2008 7:18:58 PM

21. el smrtmnky, I'd like to buy you a cocktail. And a sense of humor.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 12, 2008 8:09:16 PM

22. Yeah Right!
    You guys have never sucked a ugly cock or eaten a not so pretty
    ass in your life?

Posted by: fazal deen | Jun 12, 2008 8:14:22 PM

23. @crispy: always need a cocktail. and i'm better than good with that sense of humor, actually. what you could get me is the patience to put up with some of these shallow queens.

Posted by: el smrtmnky | Jun 12, 2008 8:46:40 PM

24. somebody should have gotten isabella rossellini in ovary drag to dramatize this occurance. it would have been cooler and much more attractive.

then ANDY could have had all the pictures "after the jump" with "warning: lady bidness photos". still and all, great pix.

Posted by: nic | Jun 13, 2008 2:32:14 AM

25. I wonder what the fundies are saying about it. Are they skeeved out by it or are they lamenting the loss of a proto human? After all, every embryo has a soul and is a person in it's own right, and this is an 'unfertilized embryo', right?

Posted by: Wheezy | Jun 15, 2008 11:08:01 AM