AIDS/HIV | News | Ukraine

Jewelry Designer Models Ring After AIDS Virus

Aidsring

Andriy Kurovets, a Ukranian jewelry designer, has created an HIV ring.
(via boing boing)

Related
Test Shot [tr]

Comments

1. Poor taste to make. Poor taste to post.

Posted by: kevin | Jun 3, 2008 11:11:12 AM

2. For a second I was thinking "tacky", but after some thought, that's actually kinda interesting. It looks a little large for a ring, but might make a cool earring or pendant.

I wonder what materials he used. I don't see any info on the website.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Jun 3, 2008 11:11:46 AM

3. That thing is even uglier than Samantha's diamond flower ring.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 3, 2008 11:12:08 AM

4. I'm with Kevin on this one. There is nothing attractive about a virus that has killed (and continues to kill) so many people.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 3, 2008 11:19:28 AM

5. Revolting. An insult to the memory of millions.

Posted by: Roscoe | Jun 3, 2008 11:22:27 AM

6. Horrid.

Posted by: Gary | Jun 3, 2008 11:26:14 AM

7. It seems like like the designer has not a particular relation/interest with HIV. Calling his model The AIDS ring sounds sort of ignorant.

'Poor taste to post'? Geez people, lighten up

Posted by: Felix | Jun 3, 2008 11:33:54 AM

8. It seems like like the designer has not a particular relation/interest with HIV. Calling his model The AIDS ring sounds sort of ignorant.

'Poor taste to post'? Geez people, lighten up

Posted by: Felix | Jun 3, 2008 11:35:27 AM

9. Wow. that's ugly. tasteless too. This really shows off the designers ignorance.

Thanks for posting, Andy, we need reminders now and then that there are unenlightened people out there so we can become better people ourselves.

Posted by: invisiboy | Jun 3, 2008 11:40:17 AM

10. i can see where people would bristle at this. but you can also say this designer is trying to make something beautiful out of something horrible. i don't find it particularly attractive, but at least there is some creativity on the designer's part. i cannot tell by the website, but are the proceeds from this piece going to HIV/AIDS research? i would hope so.

Posted by: adam | Jun 3, 2008 11:41:45 AM

11. With all due respect...

It's interesting that someone from the Ukraine (as is this designer) would have a much more open and enlightened approach to something like this... the marvels of science and nature. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad.

It's further interesting that, without knowing anything about the man's motivations for doing this, so many people would get their panties in a bunch over his jewelry.

Art is Art. Think about that the next time someone puts a cross in a glass of urine and the xians and cathlicks get disturbed. You can all be simpatico.

Sometimes it's best to step back from emotional knee-jerk reactions and view something as it is, for what it is.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Jun 3, 2008 12:01:07 PM

12. simply disgusting!!! it's ugly and extremely insulting to anyone affected by HIV/AIDS

Posted by: Mitchell | Jun 3, 2008 12:07:33 PM

13. I find the rings more attractive than the tatooed biohazard sign some poz people have. So, instead, they can wear this ring.

Posted by: Will | Jun 3, 2008 12:08:54 PM

14. I am HIV positive and I think the ring is beautiful. And FYI (Will) I also have a biohazard tattoo. But thank you for trying to tell me how to deal with my disease.

Posted by: wetcnt | Jun 3, 2008 12:14:16 PM

15. I initially thought this collection was appalling, but now I think it's kind of smart. The ring can clearly double as brass knuckles if shit starts to go down. And with the postings we have seen here of all the violence during Gay Pride in the Ukraine, it would be nice to forever indent some angry protestors' foreheads with the HIV virus.

Posted by: Josh | Jun 3, 2008 12:21:26 PM

16. Gosh, just what I've been wanting, HIV that I can wear on my finger to go along with the HIV in my body.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 3, 2008 12:36:13 PM

17. . . . and this coming from all places , the Ukraine - not amused.

Posted by: biffy | Jun 3, 2008 12:50:24 PM

18. Would they make a cancer cell ring? How about a Hep C pendant? The possibilities to offend are endless.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 3, 2008 12:50:42 PM

19. Has it occurred to some of you that he's trying to raise AIDS awareness in a country that has little? Or that he's expressing empathy for people with the disease---wearing AID on the outside regardless of whether you have it on the inside?

I find this far less offensive than that stupid yet widely used slogan, "We are all HIV positive," which never made any sense.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 3, 2008 1:13:57 PM

20. I agree with Mikeinsanjose. My "initial" thought was that is inappropriate, but I stopped myself from taking it further because I don't know anything about the man from the post. Maybe he's HIV positive and he's trying to make a statement. I also acknowledge that art sometimes provokes. Does anyone remember the furor of Serrano's "Piss Christ?" Or, how about Ofili's dung Madonna? If "artists" can "offend" Catholics & Christians, is an HIV ring so out of the bounds of art? It's not something that I would do, but goodness knows what kind of world would it be if everybody did what I think is best.

Posted by: Brandon | Jun 3, 2008 1:20:58 PM

21. Dear Brandon.

Put on your apron and bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
    When they are done have some with a glass of milk while you watch the Brady Bunch on Nick at Night.

Before you go to bed put on your jammies. Don't forget to brush those teeth and say your prayers.Then just before you hit the sheets DON'T FORGET TO TAKE OFF YOUR ROSE COLORED GLASSES!

Posted by: biffy | Jun 3, 2008 1:37:35 PM

22. Any idea where the sales proceeds will go?

Jus wonderin'.

Posted by: Banjiboi | Jun 3, 2008 1:46:01 PM

23. I think the shock and outrage over this art work is more than likely exactly what the designer was hoping for. Speaking as someone living with HIV, I'm not in the least bit offended by this. I find the readers' comments hilarious. The ring is haunting. Indeed, I would gladly wear this, although I am a bit concerned it would tend to get snagged on my sweater.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 3, 2008 1:49:03 PM

24. Such hysterics. Do you all have similarly violent reactions when you see someone wearing a crucifix?

Posted by: 24play | Jun 3, 2008 1:50:02 PM

25. I think it's more about general HIV awareness, (lord knows we could use it, most of the public has somehow forgotten about this disease) rather than celebrating a deadly virus. And perhaps a tiny bit of hype for publicity mixed in. As an artist, I appreciate that sometimes a bit of shock value is what it takes sometimes to get ANY notice in a world glutted with artists and art, so it's a win/win. He gets PR and the disease gets awareness.

I certainly don't find it offensive. I do, however, find it oddly unattractive and bulky for a ring. Agree with an earlier post about pendant or earrings... but not a ring. Imagine that sucker getting snagged on someone's fishnet hose.

Posted by: johnny | Jun 3, 2008 1:58:23 PM