Dance | News | Reality TV

Nigel Lythgoe Says Dancer Looks Like He's Been Anally Violated

Shoved

So You Think You Can Dance is one of my guilty summer entertainment pleasures, for sure, but producer and judge Nigel Lythgoe, who has been known to take dancers to task for their lack of masculinity, last night told a contestant that he looked "like someone's taken a broomstick and shoved it up where the sun don't shine."

How Lythgoe might have first-hand knowledge of what that looks like I have no idea, but it was a pretty rude comment. The audience thought so too, and I don't imagine he'd say the same thing to a woman.

I've clipped it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here, also, was one of my favorite performances of the night:

Previously
So You Think You Can Strip is Back [tr]

Comments

1. Talk about an over reaction. All he meant was the guy was to stiff. There was nothing homophobic about it. Sometimes it's like a witch hunt around here, as if Joe Mccarthy was hunting commies.

Posted by: ousslander | Jun 12, 2008 2:15:17 PM

2. 50, Derrick??? Possum, you're still chicken to moi. LOL.

Michaels, indeed, has been the soul behind some of the best dances over the years.

What I hate equally to Nigel, who still should be playing Fagin in a two-bit stage production of "Oliver Twist," is that, like no other show I'm aware of, we are forced [in this sense of if we want to enjoy the positives, too] to watch obvious young gay guys having to pretend to be straight. Within the dances themselves is okay. But yet ANOTHER Western Swing dancer with "girlfriend"????!!! Is this one Mormon, too?

It's like watching squirming insects impaled with needles by Dr. Nigel into display cases. Sad.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Jun 12, 2008 2:46:59 PM

3. He made a comment awhile back to a guy in drag that was something like "you're the reason fathers don't let their sons dance." I think he has real issues with any male who displays an ounce of feminine characteristics. It's too bad he has that kind of hatred inside of him.

Posted by: Rikoala | Jun 12, 2008 5:20:41 PM

4. Actually, what most of you don't seem to realise is that Nigel Lythgoe was a judge on the UK show "Popstars" back in 2000/2001 and was dubbed "Nasty Nigel" by the tabloid press. When Simon Cowell judged the first "Pop Idol" later in 2001 it was widely assumed he was copying Nigel (not the other way round).

In any case, the comment is not homophobic in any way. It gets a bit dangerous to try to find homophobia everywhere otherwise the real cases can tend to get overlooked or marginalised.

Posted by: Droo | Jun 13, 2008 3:53:03 AM

5. That's just descriptive, there's no anti-gay slur there.
    Rude yes, but "anally violated"? Hardly.
    Sometimes it gets a tad too ploddingly literal here..

Posted by: Nonplussed | Jun 13, 2008 6:56:07 AM

6. Oh my goodness. It seems like everytime I read a gay blog there is some hysterical post about how somebody famous used a gay slur or made a comment that could be construed as homophobic. And then the comments are filled with matronly tsk tsks from fellow watchdogs. Being gay is definitely not the cool, outlawish thing I wish it was. It's more like a coven of insecure fat girls.

Posted by: ICONCUR | Jun 13, 2008 7:37:01 AM