Amy Winehouse | Art and Design | Australia | Bulgaria | California | Czech Republic | David Beckham | David Paterson | Gay Marriage | Gay Pride | Gerard Butler | Jane Fonda | John Travolta | John Waters | Los Angeles | New York | News | Pets | Provincetown | Thomas Beatie

News: Quentin Tarantino, Ugly Dog, Bulgaria, Michelangelo

road.jpg First-ever "Rainbow Parade" set for Czech Republic: "he National Party (Národní strana) sees the event as a 'pressure on the majority, pressure that is disgusting and awkward, pressure leading to social acceptation of the children being adopted by homosexual couples.' Members of the party are prepared to protest against the march. Police are evaluating potential risks in order to determine what security measures will need to be applied."

Tarantino_2road.jpg Quentin Tarantino accepts Filmmaker on the Edge award from the Provincetown Film Festival. John Waters: "You helped reinvent John Travolta as a man and I reinvented him as a woman."

road.jpg DAD: Amy Winehouse in first stages of Emphysema.

road.jpg Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa to officiate today at marriage of American Beauty producer Bruce Cohen to art consultant Gabriel Catone: "After the state Supreme Court struck down a ban on same-sex marriage last month, Villaraigosa promised to preside at as many ceremonies as possible. But when the ruling took effect last week and other political officials were presiding over same-sex weddings, Villaraigosa was in Israel on a city trip."

road.jpg Nationalists in Bulgaria plan "Week of Intolerance" in response to upcoming gay parade.

road.jpg Gay health therapist Michael Shernoff has died at the age of 57, of pancreatic cancer.

Sistineroad.jpg Book: Michelangelo hid secret messages in Sistine Chapel attacking the Pope.

road.jpg Jane Fonda on her first screen test, with Warren Beatty: "At the time I suspected that Warren might be gay, because he was so cute and had so many unusual, intellectual friends. Well, how wrong can you be?"

road.jpg Brooklyn appellate judges to hear arguments on New York Governor David Paterson's directive to recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages: "he case being heard today, Godfrey v. Spano, will consider whether recognition of same-sex marriages first requires approval from the Legislature. So far the Legislature hasn't passed any laws relating to gay marriage. Whatever decision the Brooklyn appeals court reaches in the Godfrey case is sure to be quickly appealed to the state's highest court, the Court of Appeals."

road.jpg Gerard Butler is a fashionista.

Ugliestroad.jpg Dog named world's ugliest.

road.jpg Salon bookmark: Gore Vidal's Inconvenient Truths.

road.jpg Australian city council apologizes to gays for incident that happened 20 years ago.

road.jpg SF Chronicle columnist's brief encounter with David Beckham: "Beckham is, for lack of a better word, man-tastic. He leans on a stool, wearing a crisp white shirt and silver tie, having just taken off his cream suit jacket. His hair is cut short and simple, ceding attention to his long stubble, which covers his face except for two Band-Aid-size vertical stripes shaved clean on either side of his goatee."

road.jpg They got him!

road.jpg The NYT takes a closer look at pregnant trans man Thomas Beatie: "Partly a carnival sideshow and partly a glimpse at shifting sexual tectonics, his image and story powered past traditional definitions of gender and exposed a realm that seemed more than passing strange to some observers — and altogether natural to those who inhabit it. 'This is just a neat human-interest story about a particular couple using the reproductive capabilities they have,' said Mara Kiesling, director of the National Center for Transgender Equality in Washington. 'There’s really nothing remarkable' about the Beatie pregnancy, she said."

Comments

1. We're planning a wee of intolerance here, too. It's call the GOP National Convention.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 23, 2008 2:23:07 PM

2. Re: Michaelangelo & the Sistine Chapel: about a month ago I watched a rather boring ABC show on these "findings." Lo and behold, although they discussed Church, politics, and society, they never mentioned that Michaelangelo was gay. I sent them a note through the ABC website. No response, natch.

Re: Amy Winehouse: for all our sakes, let's hope she can right her ship.

And tangentially, I was mildly amused/appalled to see an ad here from the Red Cross requesting blood donations. Wtf, hello!!!

Posted by: David R. | Jun 23, 2008 2:42:28 PM

3. Well, he was homosexual, DAVID R., I don't think he attended any Pride Parades or Gay Clubs. I've been told (over and over again) that that's the kind of activity that makes a homo "gay". It's not just your orientation, it's your social life and self-indentification.

Some say that Michelangelo spent so much time working--he never had time for sex. I still love him--we share the same birthdate (different years, of course)...unfortunately, he did paint all the folks in the Bible as Europeans, and that was incorrect, right?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 23, 2008 3:11:07 PM

4. {Crap--I have to disagree with TowleRoad royalty, but here goes} Derrick, I must, most respectfully, disagree re: gay vs. homosexual. I tend avoid the adjective "homosexual" to describe people since it is clinical and carries negative connotations. The more I live my life, talk to others, and read about gay people in history, the more I think it makes sense to say that people who who (mostly) have (or would like to have) sex with people with the same sex/gender as themselves are gay, gay, gay, lesbian. If they self-identify as something else (e.g., bi, poly, post, omni, etc.) then fine, I'll go with their self-definition.

[As an aside, I believe that South Park's Cartman prefers: "gay homosexual" lest there be any confusion.]

I think the reason I've come to this place is that regardless of whether you are "culturally gay" or not, you still have an important part of your life that's atypical and sets you apart from ~97% of the population.

All that being said, my original concern was that the contributors and producers of the ABC TV show on the alleged encoded messages in the Sistine Chapel failed to specifically mention any of the possibilities around Michaelangelo's sexual attractions, though sexual imagery was mentioned, and how that might affect his art and politics.

With all due respect,
    Identifying as gay, gay, gay for 23 and counting,
    David R.

Posted by: David R. | Jun 23, 2008 4:48:34 PM

5. DAVID R.,

With all due respect, I most graciously accept your response, and I like your take on "gay" vs "homosexual". It's just that the last time I called Alexander the Great "gay"--all hell broke loose. Some poster wrote in all the way from Europe to tell me that I didn't know what the f...k I was talkin' about.

BTW, I'm not Towleroad royalty. You're confusing me with THE QUEEN, and the LATE, LATE, VERY LATE DOWAGER QUEEN MOTHER OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND, WALES, EMPRESS OF INDIA (that last title is purely "her" dementia getting worse, but I love her). I didn't get a title (other that NIC calling me "la puta")...the denial of a title it may be racially motivated.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 23, 2008 5:02:48 PM

6. Sweet Cheeks,

You are TR royalty titled or otherwise.

In obeisance,
    David R.
    P.S. The next time someone knocks you for calling Alex gay, ask them if they're being homophobic for suggesting that such a macho destructive hunk just couldn't be "gay".

Posted by: David R. | Jun 23, 2008 5:36:04 PM