Australia | Matthew Mitcham | News | Olympics

BigGayDeal.com

Australia's Gay Olympian Matthew Mitcham Happy to Be Out

Mitcham

Last month, the Sydney Morning Herald announced that Australian Olympic diver Matthew Mitcham had come out of the closet, but Mitcham, in a new interview with Australia's gay newspaper SX, says he's been out since he's 14. Mitcham, who will be Australia's first openly gay Olympian when he competes in Beijing, is now 20.

Says Mitcham: "It’s not really a big deal. It’s not like I’m a different person. It’s not like I was straight before. So nothing really has changed....I came out years ago. All that happened recently was that I was doing an interview with the Herald and there was a pretty innocuous question, ‘Who do I live with?’ and I just said ‘my partner Lachlan’. And the journalist was really excited – she thought it was absolutely wonderful!"

Mitcham dishes on Prime Minister Kevin Rudd: "Kevin Rudd’s opinion of marriage as something that’s only between a man and a woman is quite narrow-minded. During the election campaign he was all about appearing young and cool, but his views on gay marriage make him look quite old-fashioned."

And also those who criticize gays for speaking out about their sexuality: "Straight people talk about their sexuality all the time. They talk about the opposite sex, they talk about their wives, their husbands, their marriage. Those are all heterosexual discourses, and they do talk about them all the time."

Mitcham's set to compete in the the ten-metre platform and three-metre springboard events.

One more shot AFTER THE JUMP...

Mitcham2 Mitcham3

Mitcham5

Making a Splash [sx]

Australian Olympic Diver Matthew Mitcham: I'm Gay [tr]

Comments

1. Great article, but isn't he a diver, not a swimmer?

Posted by: DanInSeattle | Jul 7, 2008 1:04:07 PM

2. The mug on this kid...wow. He's gorgeous. Lachlan is a very lucky man.

Posted by: Chas | Jul 7, 2008 1:15:27 PM

3. My god, that's the tiniest bathing suit I think I've ever seen. I can't imagine how horrible I would look in that, but he pulls it off quite nicely!

Did anyone ever make progress on getting his partner to Beijing? There had been talk of creating a fund when Andy first mentioned him.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 7, 2008 1:20:49 PM

4. Okay, so this guy is beautiful, pulls off a speedo amazingly well, is a world class athlete, AND uses the word "discourse" in a conversation?

I am SO in love.

Travis

Posted by: Travis | Jul 7, 2008 1:24:13 PM

5. "dingos stole me bum!" ;-)

Posted by: hanuman | Jul 7, 2008 1:42:45 PM

6. I'm happy that he's out too :)

Posted by: WillnDurhamNC | Jul 7, 2008 2:06:05 PM

7. Cute, amazingly athletic, speaks with great clarity and not afraid to challenge the political status quo. My god, why can't I find someone half as awesome as that? LOL

Seriously, though, with a few more people like him in Australia, they'll have marriage equality in no time.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 7, 2008 2:13:21 PM

8. "Out" Hell! He was never "In"!!!!

BRAVO!!!!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 7, 2008 2:34:42 PM

9. Is it shallow of me to suggest a clothing-optional Olympics?? The Greeks did it. Sounds like a great kid.

Posted by: anon | Jul 7, 2008 2:47:12 PM

10. Why isn't he on the cover of OUT?

Posted by: Br!on | Jul 7, 2008 4:19:17 PM

11. D O B JULY-13-1967

MY HEIGHT 5 5

MY WEIGHT 180

RED HAIR

VERY HAIRY

BLUE EYES

iAM GAY!

MR.ROBERT JAMES WHITTINGTON

MR.ROBERT WHITTINGTON
    391 KING STREET WEST CHATHAM ONTARIO N7M 1G3
    CANADA

call me at 519 354 2188 a message please.!

robertwhittington1@yahoo.ca

SURE want too KISS BOTTOM BAREFEET MASSAGE YOUR LEGS

SURE WANT too FEEL YOUR BAREFEET MASSAGE YOUR BAREFEET

FOR INSTANCE Lift up realy nice and HIGH PLACE THEE LEFT BOTTOM BAREFOOT ON TOP OF ME and put your BAREFOOT ONTO MY CHEST

LIFT UP REALY NICE AND HIGH RIGHT BOTTOM BAREFOOT PLACE BOTTOM BAREFOOT ONTO RUB YOUR BAREFOOT ONTO MY CHST AND FACE!!!

MIKE BRANSON, LOVE YOUR BAREFEET PLEASE E-AMIL ME YOUR BAREFEET pictures BAREFEET Posess
    THATS ALL

MR.ROBERT WHITTINGTON

P S LIBRARY INTERNET

Posted by: ROBERT WHITTINGTON | Jul 7, 2008 4:53:08 PM

12. Umm... Robert... I think you'd be better off on manhunt. This is a blog for gay news mmm kay?

Posted by: Taylor | Jul 7, 2008 4:58:19 PM

13. What about USA's own Thomas Finchum? That kid sets my gaydar alert level to 'Johnny Weir.'

Posted by: DH Pierce | Jul 7, 2008 5:16:11 PM

14. LMFAO!

Posted by: Jason | Jul 7, 2008 5:18:43 PM

15. Good. God. He's. Gorgeous!

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 7, 2008 5:28:02 PM

16. Are there mods here? I suspect that "Robert Whittington" is not a naive cruiser, but a prankster who is trying to get the guy at that number and address harassed.

The personal information should be removed.

Posted by: thin mint | Jul 7, 2008 5:36:15 PM

17. Mitcham's amazing. I'll be there to watch him dive on the 10m in Beijing and I can't wait.

Posted by: Seth | Jul 7, 2008 7:01:40 PM

18. Damn that's a nice torso... there are so many hot divers, and we've quite a few gay professional ones here is Oz too.

Come on summer... I need to get to the pool

Posted by: Zeke | Jul 7, 2008 8:27:46 PM

19. Damn that's a nice torso... there are so many hot divers, and we've quite a few gay professional ones here is Oz too.

Come on summer... I need to get to the pool

Posted by: Zeke | Jul 7, 2008 8:28:27 PM

20. TRAVIS,
    exactly! cute, beautiful body, articulate (smart?), happy in his own skin, acknowledges his bf, and an Olympian(!). i hate, hate, hate Lachlan -- that lucky mofo. lol. good luck to him.

Posted by: nic | Jul 8, 2008 2:15:41 AM

21. Spectacular. I hope he does well at the Games. And I hope NBC has the balls to show some coverage of this great example of a proud gay athelete.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Jul 8, 2008 2:57:27 PM

22. and he can speak chinese, that's a triple plus!

Posted by: adam | Jul 8, 2008 6:15:19 PM

23. I'm going to say it...."F*ck! He is gorgeous!" (He could make me speak chinese!)

Posted by: TyInTenn | Jul 8, 2008 11:59:23 PM

24. You're right Thin Mint. That personal information SHOULD be removed. It is probably a set-up. I am surprised it hasn't been removed yet. Somebody better get off their @ss and get busy.

Posted by: mike | Aug 14, 2008 2:21:59 PM