Music Video | New York | News

Corporate Cannibal: Grace Jones is Back

Jones

Grace Jones is back with her first track in 19 years from her album Hurricane due out in October, and she'll eat you alive, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Jonesing for a Record in Wales [tr]

(via boy culture and popbytes)

Comments

1. I like it! Really interesting video. Simple, but very effective.

Posted by: Steve G | Jul 9, 2008 1:06:49 PM

2. Eh, it's OK. But she'll never recapture the pure magic of "Bullshit," a song I think of whenever I see politicians on TV.

Posted by: don | Jul 9, 2008 1:07:41 PM

3. love the grace!

Posted by: the queen | Jul 9, 2008 1:15:57 PM

4. amazing as always!!! i can't wait for her to bite the head off of that hack known as madonna.

Posted by: richard chartier | Jul 9, 2008 1:16:05 PM

5. Sounds like Tricky or Massive Attack circa '98. I'm not impressed at all. The ship has sailed on industrial electronica a long time ago.

Posted by: RP | Jul 9, 2008 1:20:33 PM

6. Yikes! I'm scared of the crazy rabbit lady.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 9, 2008 1:21:42 PM

7. wow! sounds almost as if our grace has hooked up with massive attack or some other trip-hop-type producers.

the song itself was...ok-kind of a revisit to the "rhyme all the tyme" lyric style of "walking in the rain."

i'm interested to hear the rest of the album.

Posted by: alguien | Jul 9, 2008 1:25:12 PM

8. I love a woman who can simultaneously scare the crap out of me and turn me on!

Does anyone know how old she is? She still has it.

Posted by: MT | Jul 9, 2008 1:25:38 PM

9. Miss Jones is the mother of all freaks and I love her to pieces. I think the song is great too. I love Trip Hop and dark Electronica and the lyrics are simple but awesome. I'll have to download this when it comes out.

Posted by: Chas | Jul 9, 2008 1:28:56 PM

10. That was suprisingly good. Wonderful even.

Posted by: pinky mcstinky | Jul 9, 2008 1:33:52 PM

11. Mommy! I'm scared...

Posted by: Jeff Adair | Jul 9, 2008 1:38:08 PM

12. I've been watching this video all morning and blowing off work. The imagery is pure Grace in the 21st century.

RP, if the ship has sailed for industrial electronica, then I'm happy to take the cruise. Nothing wrong with keeping oneself open to different genres.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 9, 2008 1:47:56 PM

13. Love it. Grace Jones is a wonder.

Posted by: Stuart | Jul 9, 2008 1:48:45 PM

14. According to Wikipedia, Tricky does appear on her new album. And she just performed last month in London at an electronic music festival hosted by Massive Attack. So the comparisons are probably warranted.

Honestly, I had no interest in this until several of you made the comparison to Massive Attack, one of my favorite bands. They supposedly have a new album due out this year too. Dark electro is not dead!

Posted by: crispy | Jul 9, 2008 1:49:48 PM

15. CRISPY, you might be interested to know that Tricky has a new album due to release in the US in September, called Knowle West Boy. I heard an advance and think it's his best since Maxinquaye

Posted by: Mark | Jul 9, 2008 1:58:38 PM

16. Actually, this track is from her first album since 1989's Bulletproof Heart... Grace HAS released a smattering of material since then. She had the track SEX DRIVE in the early 90's, and then in the late 90's released an amazing song called STORM on the otherwise forgettable (aside from Annie Lennox's cover of the Sugercubes MAMA) soundtrack to the shit movie adaptation of THE AVENGERS. Long live Grace!

Posted by: David | Jul 9, 2008 2:04:39 PM

17. I adore Grace and so does a close friend who runs a major record label. A couple of months ago he went to Chris Blackwell's (founder of Island Records) home in Jamaica and Chris played him Grace's new album. My friend said its unlistenable.

"C'mon, its Grace Jones! It can't be that bad?"
    "Oh yes, its THAT BAD. You'll be shocked."

We shall hear.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jul 9, 2008 2:12:09 PM

18. My God, 19 years later and she's STILL more vital than every crap pop act cluttering up the market. I was AMAZED by how good this is. It's brilliant and darkly funny.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Jul 9, 2008 2:13:45 PM

19. P.S. It's the best song about the Bush years and the Iraq war that I've heard. And she looks fierce on top of it.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Jul 9, 2008 2:16:34 PM

20. I loved it! I love Grace Jones and everything she does. Glad to see her back and still in the game at the top of her form.

Posted by: ben | Jul 9, 2008 3:51:07 PM

21. Friggin Fantastic! Its is about time she came back. HOT!

Posted by: Daniel in Houston | Jul 9, 2008 4:43:43 PM

22. Thinking about this in the context of her entire body of work gives me chills of excitement. What an inspiration. Hell yeah she's scary. Sometimes it's good to be scared.

Posted by: lowidle | Jul 9, 2008 5:14:42 PM

23. Thinking about this in the context of her entire body of work gives me chills of excitement. What an inspiration. Hell yeah she's scary. Sometimes it's good to be scared.

Posted by: lowidle | Jul 9, 2008 5:15:16 PM

24. The London performance was amazing. She's sounded incredible and looked amazing!

Posted by: Paul Pincus | Jul 9, 2008 5:40:00 PM

25. She doesn't age. It's amazing.

Love her, but will never forgive her for keeping fans waiting four hours in DC about 12 years ago for a performance that was already not supposed to start until midnight. A lot of people left, including me---I only know when she came on because one of my friends then was a hardcore fan. DC isn't NYC. To top it off, she only played three or four songs, then stormed offstage.

Another friend of mine went to an afterhours she hosted in NYC and said it featured public displays of the most graphic BDSM acts he'd ever seen or imagined (including a fair bit of blood). But I can't say that's a major surprise!

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 9, 2008 6:01:40 PM