Michael Goff | Republican Party

Ding Dong...Former Senator Jesse Helms is dead.

Jesse_2

Former U.S. Senator Jesse Helms, a North Carolina Republican who opposed civil right, the MLK holiday, extending voting rights, the United Nations, the Test Ban Treaty, affirmative action, arts funding, and anything at all to do with gay rights is dead. Not until his last year in the senate, under the persuasive powers of U2s Bono did he support any AIDS measures, and then only for Africa with predominantly heterosexual transmission.

From the International Herald Tribune: "He fought bitterly against U.S. government aid for AIDS research and treatment, saying the disease resulted from "unnatural" and "disgusting" homosexual behavior.

'Nothing positive happened to Sodom and Gomorrah," he said, "and nothing positive is likely to happen to America if our people succumb to the drumbeats of support for the homosexual lifestyle.'"

To all those people who died too soon or who lived without being able to live life to its fullest as a result of Jesse Helms and his influence, may you rest in peace.

Andy's still on vacation.
--Michael

Google News

Previously on Towleroad:

-- says Bono changed his mind about AIDS: ""Until then it had been my feeling that AIDS was a disease largely spread by reckless and ...

Jesse Helms "Hands" ad playing to racist fears (1990):

Fighting Back:  ACTUP Activists put Condom Over Jesse Helms' House (1991)

Comments

1. The good die young.

Good riddance.

Posted by: Chas | Jul 4, 2008 6:44:19 PM

2. Is he still dead?? I hope someone has had the sense to nail down the lid on that coffin, and to post security around the carcass. I won't feel truly safe until that vile and evil bag of excrement is entombed in concrete, and buried 50 feet under. His entire life focus was on hurting others and on setting people apart. His bigotry was not genetic....it was a choice. He could have changed if he had wanted to. The world will be a much better place without him.

Posted by: Scott in Phoenix | Jul 4, 2008 6:45:18 PM

3. Wow, death is not always sad!

Posted by: DanielM | Jul 4, 2008 7:14:04 PM

4. I am appalled! I was and am no fan of the late Jesse Helms, but I refuse to rejoice in his passing. Though his views and actions were far from helpful, he was still a dedicated public servant, serving the best way he knew how. For us in the LGBT community to rejoice in his passing is to belittle ourselves and our cause and to lend a slight bit of credibility to what Mr. Helms and the like proclaim. His family and this nation have suffered a loss, and it is incredibly rude and immature for us to rejoice in their grieving.

Posted by: Nick | Jul 4, 2008 7:40:42 PM

5. Nick,are you high? so your ONLY reason not to rejoice is because he was a "public servant", so if he was a kkk member or a gay basher on the street, am i allowed then to rejoice? because he was both a kkk member and gay basher.

anyways i am not rejoicing because he is too useless to waste my time on, i am certainly not going join the "nation" and suffer for a loss, i have better things to do with my life.

Posted by: johnosahon | Jul 4, 2008 8:01:31 PM

6. Nick, they're being exactly the tactless, immature brats Jesse Helms believed them to be.

If anyone's keeping score, HIV is on the rise *yet again* among gay men. Jesse Helms is not to blame.

Posted by: queendru | Jul 4, 2008 8:03:54 PM

7. Nick, Adolf Hitler was a public servant too.

Posted by: homer | Jul 4, 2008 8:05:29 PM

8. Johnosahon, you say you have better things to do and yet you waste your time attacking Nick again proving his point. The time to "rejoice" as a political opponent is when your cause or candidate wins the day. Helms' death is not cause for celebration, at least for those with an ounce of humanity left.

FYI, the only KKK member* in the US Senate is Robert Byrd, Democrat of W. Virginia. Just remember that when he passes away so you can decide whether to put on your sackcloth and ashes.

* former KKK now

Posted by: queendru | Jul 4, 2008 8:13:29 PM

9. no wonder "QUEENDRU", the only reason you are supporting him is simply because he was a republican. now, if byrd had died WITHOUT apologizing for his terrible policies and actions, i would have said EXACTLY the same thing, but byrd has apologized, still waiting for yours to.

Posted by: johnosahon | Jul 4, 2008 8:23:50 PM

10. You guys can go ahead and be the better men, but I for one wish it was Helms that died of AIDS related causes in the 80s and 90s instead of half of my phone book. I pity the soul-less bastard.

Posted by: Mark N | Jul 4, 2008 8:26:37 PM

11. The complete version of the anti-Helsm documentary "Dear Jesse" contains an appearance by . . .Matthew Shepherd.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 4, 2008 8:31:37 PM

12. Sorry, folks, but I hope Jesse Helms burns in Hell forever. He was a disgusting human being who indulged in blaming the LGBT community for almost all of America's ills. The world is now a much better place without Jesse Helms.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Jul 4, 2008 8:37:39 PM

13. It is true that it is distasteful to gain gratification from his death. But it is just as ridiculous to feel compassion or sympathy for a life that was based on hate, which can easily be overturned by hard work and support in the fight against AIDS.

Posted by: Rafael | Jul 4, 2008 9:22:04 PM

14. I hope he suffered as he was dying. Any gay man who attemts to chide the rest of us for rejoicing in his death - well, if you goody two shoes can't stand the heat, get out of our happy kitchen! And, speaking of heat, I hope the SOB is burning in Hell. He was evil, evil ,evil!!!

Posted by: spanky | Jul 4, 2008 9:23:40 PM

15. I feel in good company, having celebrated the bastard's demise on my blog when the news broke this morning. It brought something to mind...

As part of his rant on people saying stupid things, comedian George Wallace (not to be confused with that other George Wallace), once commented on people using the phrase "untimely death," asking when people would see a death as timely. His example of when that might be so was...

"Senator Jesse Helms died today, and it's about doggone time!!!"

Amen, George.

Posted by: Jess | Jul 4, 2008 9:29:46 PM

16. It's hard to be tactful and respectful with Mr. Helms. What he did to the NEA is unforgivable. As an artist, I have pretty much considered him to be one of the biggest enemy of the arts--particularly anything avant garde or daring--in the US during the last 25 years.

I hope this marks the turning of the cultural tide in this country.

Posted by: Alex | Jul 4, 2008 10:23:17 PM

17. let us shout it from the rooftops, ding dong the wicked witch is dead, the hateful, evil old coot and mean old bastard is dead... this is great news in that finally one after one the mean evil old coots are dying off and a new order takes its place.... let us rejoice!

Posted by: the queen | Jul 4, 2008 10:57:07 PM

18. Nick: "I was and am no fan of the late Jesse Helms, but I refuse to rejoice in his passing. Though his views and actions were far from helpful, he was still a dedicated public servant, serving the best way he knew how. For us in the LGBT community to rejoice in his passing is to belittle ourselves and our cause and to lend a slight bit of credibility to what Mr. Helms and the like proclaim. His family and this nation have suffered a loss, and it is incredibly rude and immature for us to rejoice in their grieving."

I'm from Canada, and I have absolutely no problem rejoicing. I'm not lending any credibility to him or 'the like' by doing so. The man could not die fast enough. If his family wants their grief to be taken seriously, they might spare some of it for the thousands of far better men and women who suffered and died because of his hateful policies and positions.

Posted by: David D. | Jul 4, 2008 11:26:16 PM

19. Respect is earned by the quality of your behaviour. Some quotes from the man:

"The New York Times and Washington Post are both infested with homosexuals themselves. Just about every person down there is a homosexual or lesbian."
    -- 1995

"Homosexuals are weak, morally sick wretches."
    -- 1995 radio broadcast

"She's a damn lesbian. I am not going to put a lesbian in a position like that. If you want to call me a bigot, fine."
    -- Explaining why he was opposing the appointment of a woman for a cabinet post.

"They should ask their parents if it would be all right for their son or daughter to marry a Negro."
    -- In response to Duke University students holding a vigil after Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, 1968

And on, and on. There's plenty more.

Now tell us why that piece of shit deserves any respect.

Posted by: John C | Jul 5, 2008 12:00:09 AM

20. Cheers to that, DAVID D. Evil bastards committed to human opprression gets only my rejoicing upon their death-and hopefully God's judgement after that.

Posted by: nikko | Jul 5, 2008 12:04:59 AM

21. David D, point taken. However, when evil dies-evil dies. He was. Good night to him.

Posted by: otto | Jul 5, 2008 12:14:01 AM

22. Sorry, don't buy all that "we must be better than that" stuff. It's dishonest. I did not care for the man when he was alive, and I always said so. The hate and bigotry movement, of which he was a willing participant, continues.

While I don't think it's necessarily right to call him names, I don't think it's bad to admit that I couldn't care less about his death. I don't feel the need to rejoice in his death, but no one here is going to catch any grief from me if they do.

Posted by: Davd T | Jul 5, 2008 12:46:06 AM

23. GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!!

Posted by: Ty | Jul 5, 2008 1:43:59 AM

24. He truly was the weak, morally sick wretch of which he spoke. Glad to see this pisshead burn.

Posted by: Eric Seguy | Jul 5, 2008 2:26:34 AM

25. Good fucking riddance! I hope he is getting hot clorox enemas everyday by satan himself in the hottest corner of Hades. If you don't rejoice in his death you are a self hating pseudo-spiritual ass.

Posted by: nuxvomica | Jul 5, 2008 3:02:21 AM