kd lang | Madonna | News

BigGayDeal.com

Now, kd lang Denies Relationship with Madonna

Kd

The newswires are atwitter with headlines that kd lang is denying a relationship with Madonna, and I guess Madonna flings are getting attention these days, but the quote has been extracted from a larger and much more interesting profile on the singer in The Guardian in which she talks a lot about sexuality and perception.

Kdmadonna_3Says lang: "I've always had an interesting relationship with my androgyny. It's kind of breadfruit - it looks poisonous but it's really good once you figure out how to get into it. I think the combination of my voice and my look was pre-ordained."

Lang says she often is mistaken for a man: "I like that. I didn't always, it bugged me sometimes, but I like going through the world kind of ambiguous. I definitely get less harassment, less attention...I remember one time I wore a really tight T-shirt that showed cleavage and some guy looked at my boobs and I was like, 'what?!' It was, to me, really crazy. It felt so alien. Being androgynous changes the sexual playing field too, because a lot of gay guys flirt with me, a lot of straight women flirt with me...Or they have - not any more, nobody flirts with me any more."

And here's where the Madonna quote came from: "The Britney-Madonna kiss [at the MTV music awards in 2003] annoyed me. I don't know much about Katy Perry, but I think there needs to be some inning now and then. Ultimately though, it's all good to play with sexuality and not be the gayest gay and not be the straightest straight. Ultimately, we're all bisexual, honestly I think that's true. I think [the gay community's] fears and expectations are the things that get all flustered when someone like Katy Perry has a song...[Madonna] never came on to me, that was a lot of publicity because we had the same publicist and it helped Madonna and it helped me. I don't think Madonna ever really liked me, to be honest. We're very different people."

Lang has a new self-produced album, Watershed. She released a trailer for it earlier this year, in which she played and discussed some of the music. You can watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Disclosure: I have never had a relationship with Madonna either.

Many years ago, k.d. lang was being interviewed in the same private lounge area of a hotel that we were also using for work. I was with some co-workers minding our own business - though we did notice that she was being interviewed across the room.

One of her "people" came over and asked us to leave as we were "intimidating" her. Excuse me? WE"RE intimidating HER? We've PAID for the use of this area and are working, so she'll just have to deal with it.

I can see where people would mistake her for a man - she was a imposing person who looked like she'd be comfortable driving a truck or working an oil rig. In fact, one of the people I was there with didn't believe me when I said it was k.d

Posted by: Wade | Jul 18, 2008 9:27:04 AM

2. Watershed has been out for several months, actually. And it's really good, by the way.

Posted by: Sportin' Life | Jul 18, 2008 9:34:20 AM

3. Slow news? Why we pay attention to someone who choose a religion that is against homosexuality....is beyond me!

Posted by: Eric | Jul 18, 2008 9:35:52 AM

4. Yup. Watershed has been out since at least February. It's sophisticated, luscious, and delicious.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 18, 2008 9:37:37 AM

5. That must have been one hell of a tight t-shirt.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jul 18, 2008 9:51:25 AM

6. Love k.d. and LOVE Watershed!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 18, 2008 10:00:45 AM

7. Sexuality "big deal" I say and it is because the average gay person struggles to come to terms with it and live a life that they are proud of.

While some "stars" use it to propel themselves forward like a gas pedal, then use it as a brake system now that they are on firmer more established ground.

Posted by: Charles | Jul 18, 2008 10:03:11 AM

8. And here we have another lesbian saying everyone's bisexual. Yeah, that really helps the bigots understand it's not a choice. *rolls eyes*

Posted by: Billy | Jul 18, 2008 10:12:34 AM

9. @davefromtampa - BAHAHAHA!

Everyone has the capacity to be bisexual, Billy, in varying degrees of oomph. It's ok.

LOVE KD!

Posted by: brad | Jul 18, 2008 10:19:09 AM

10. "Slow news? Why we pay attention to someone who choose a religion that is against homosexuality....is beyond me!"

Granted, this story isn't exactly breaking news, but we're supposed to ignore kd lang because (if I'm not mistaken) she's Buddhist? (Hardly the most anti-gay religion.) She's been proudly out for years and happens to possess one of the best voices around. Certainly one of the finest live performers I've ever seen. Deserving of attention in my book.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 18, 2008 10:39:38 AM

11. I agree with Brad. I think that's what she was trying to say. Not everything is black & white. Anyway, it's all about her voice & her last 2 cds have been amazing.

Posted by: scar2 | Jul 18, 2008 10:57:07 AM

12. "I think there needs to be some inning now and then."

Ha! Totally.

Posted by: JeffRob | Jul 18, 2008 12:13:22 PM

13. It's nice that KD's been out for years, and is one of the few stars who is out at the moment (not that she's A-List).

The theory that everyone is bi comes from a branch of feminism that says that society imposes sexual identity on people (it's yet another form of oppression we must bear). According to this idea, we would all be bi except for the fact that we are taught at a young age to repress these feelings and form standard gender norms, which become internalized (which is why we mistaken think we are all str8 you see, because that's the norm). This is probably worse than the right-wing over-domineering mother theories that we have to fend off. And, of course, there is no reasoning with feminists when you try to explain you don't want to sleep with them, really!

Posted by: anon | Jul 18, 2008 12:30:47 PM

14. The idea that most people are bisexual does not come from feminism ANON. Just not true. Classic Feminism was VERY hetero-centric, and often had trouble theorizing homosexuality or lesbianism at all (because one person was ALWAYS "the man" and one was always "the woman"). It comes from KINSEY: the only scientific study. On a scale of 1-6 where one is totally 100% straight, and 6 is totally 100% gay, most people fell in between, like 2s or 4s. Sounds eminently reasonable to me, so I think kd saying "all" is also too extreme. P.S. She has the BEST VOICE though.

Posted by: Strepsi | Jul 18, 2008 12:41:55 PM

15. Ernie, I'm not positive but I think the religion reference is to Madonna and her Kaballah crap.

For k.d. to say that she and Madonna are very people is to state one of the most obvious things ever. And the more talented one sells fewer records.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 18, 2008 1:01:01 PM

16. This confirms what I've suspected for some time...

The world DOES indeed revolve around Madonna!

Posted by: Chad | Jul 18, 2008 1:06:00 PM

17. I had the pleasure of seeing her in concert back in February and it was hands down the best live performance I've ever seen. Her voice is flawless, her stage presence is transcendent, and she moved me to tears more than once (particularly during "The Valley" and "Shadow and Frame").

While I'm normally not attracted to women, I'd love to cuddle with her anytime.

Posted by: chris | Jul 18, 2008 3:40:28 PM

18. No CHAD, Madonna's world revolves around her. . .

Some of us see her as a giant Praying Mantis that eats everything in her grasp, like a big, black hole, energy vortex.

Run for the hills.

Posted by: Br!on | Jul 18, 2008 6:33:49 PM

19. K.D. could do SO much better than that gaping Vadge that absolutely everyone has polluted at some point or other.

Vadge really really should go away gracefully....OOOPs! Too late for that!

Posted by: Tex... | Jul 19, 2008 8:47:26 PM

20. I agree with Strepsi in pointing out the Kinsey study and wonder why anyone would take offense to the idea of everyone being truly bisexual. I think what kd is referring to is the notion that we are all born with an unfixed and "fluid" sexuality. Fixed sexual preference comes later during puberty when our bodies become equipped for reproduction and a libido is formed. Beneath the conscious mind's coiled pattern of sexual desire (sexual desire resembles habitual behavior in the brain) there still remains an unconscious fluidity to our sexual imagination. So, although you may identify as straight, you might find yourself aroused unwittingly by the sight of a guy in jogging shorts, or whatever. We all have the potential to be turned on by the opposite of our regular sexual fixation. Underneath it all, we're all still fluid and unfixed. And this unconscious lack of sexual preference influences our behavior sometimes without us even knowing it. This is why a 100% gay man might have a dream about sex with a woman and actually enjoy it!

Posted by: sexED | Jul 20, 2008 5:47:29 AM