Election 2008 | John McCain | News

Poll: 14% of LGBT Adults Favor McCain While 60% Favor Obama

This is a man who doesn't even know what the acronym LGBT stands for.

MccainHe also doesn't really believe in gay adoption, supports a ban on gays in the military, is worried if his clothing looks too gay, isn't sure if condoms stop the spread of HIV, thinks same-sex marriage ceremonies are okay as long as they're just pretend, and has promised right-wing religious groups that he'll start speaking out more vocally against LGBT causes.

Yet 14% of LGBT adults would still cast a vote for him over Barack Obama. Astonishing.

"Among LGBT adults, 60 percent favor Obama while 14 percent favor McCain. Three percent of LGBT adults favor Barr, while 1 percent choose Nader. Six percent choose 'other,' while 17 percent of all LGBT voters are not yet sure which candidate to support -- comparable to the general population. Among independents, Obama has a 12-point lead (38 percent to 26 percent), but one-quarter of independents are not sure, 4 percent would vote for Bob Barr and 3 percent for Ralph Nader. The findings also show that 90 percent of African-Americans are voting for Obama, as are six in 10 Latinos. Whites, however, are leaning towards McCain over Obama (40 percent versus 34 percent)."

Comments

1. honey, it all boils down to the plain simple fact that some fags are stupid and in this case 14% of the fags are stupid.

Posted by: the queen | Jul 22, 2008 11:27:07 AM

2. I agree with everything Josh said, and I thank him for saying it.

I, myself, am voting for Obama (even though I'm far from being either a 'liberal' or a 'Democrat'), but my boyfriend is voting for McCain. He's voting with his wallet...not because he's self-loathing, not because he's racist, not because he's uninformed and certainly not because he's uneducated.

I completely understand his reasoning and agree with him that keeping taxes low and limiting government is more important to him (and, honestly, me) than whether or not our relationship could/should be validated with a piece of paper. We're in a postition in our lives where we can do the things that Jonathan discussed in his post without being married and that works for both of us.

Finally, it's funny to me that gay liberals (as well as their straight counterparts) claim to be so broad-minded and accepting...but as soon as a gay man, or a black man or an Asian lesbian or... (the list goes on and on) utters anything mildly conservative, the liberals plug their ears and just scream 'self-loathing! self-loathing!' as loud as possible without any regard for diversity of thought and complete disrespect for the individual's thought process that brought him or her to that decision.

Posted by: another matt | Jul 22, 2008 11:29:04 AM

3. Well I'm not suprised that 14% are either insanely greedy or racist. I thought it'd be more than that.

Posted by: Jersey | Jul 22, 2008 11:30:09 AM

4. I agree with STREPSI. The "tax and spend liberal" thing is a SHAM. Maybe it was relevant at one time, but that time has passed. The deficits (budget deficit of over one TRILLION dollars and a national debt of over 9.5 TRILLION dollars) contained in the US economy were produced over the last 7 years ENTIRELY in a REPUBLICAN administration with a REPUBLICAN led and majority Congress while the REPUBLICAN administration had the opportunity to seat two Supreme Court justices. STOP the ignorant perpetuating of a false ideology. The REPUBLICANS have been fiscally irresponsible and placed our economy and country on the brink of failure. But, what do they care?

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Jul 22, 2008 11:30:23 AM

5. Dan B., you are simply proving the stereotype that all Republicans want is to keep their all of their money, let the poor die of the flu, and not pay for anything the government does, especially not anything Republicans overspend for.

Republicanism is about refusing the social contract at all costs.

BTW, the only president who has successfully balanced the budget and decreased the size of the government in a generation was a Democrat.

Posted by: ted | Jul 22, 2008 11:33:34 AM

6. Dan B, I think you'll be waiting for quite some time. Just sayin'.

And Davey, you might be crazy if you think that Obama is having everything "handed everything on a silver platter by the media."

Every gaffe, goof, stumble, fart, sigh, and wrong look that Obama makes winds up on the 24/7 cycle, while McCain plods along uninformed on SO many issues and they evaporate into nothing. Iraq-Pakistan border? Sunni vs. Shia? His flip flops? Take the recent statements by Maliki. They vanished into the American media black hole after a few brief mentions.

I don't care who you vote for, but at least tell the truth. If you have to lie to prove your point, well...

Posted by: Jason | Jul 22, 2008 11:35:07 AM

7. The only thing I've decided on is that I'm not voting for Obama. I would love to vote for Bob Barr as I am a die hard Libertarian...And if I were to vote for Barr and since I live in Virginia (a swing state), would not voting for McCain be a vote for Obama? That's what I have to decide. I just disagree with 99% of Obama's philosophies on heathcare and taxation that I'd cringe if he were to run the country.

Posted by: John (Yet Another Josh) | Jul 22, 2008 11:40:19 AM

8. Vote for McBush, I guess tax cuts for the rich and capital gains are the only thing that matter to some and their "partner." The Supreme Court with his right wing activist judges will fix that little "partner' issue for you.

But, the uninformed gay voter has a choice and if its McBush, vote for them and a contiuation of failed polices, since its not about taxes or anything else with most of the anti-Obama gay men here as many have made it known why they would never vote for him.....

Posted by: Luke | Jul 22, 2008 11:48:05 AM

9. Not a surprise at all. Remember all those angry bitches who said that if Hillary didn't get the Dem not, then they'd vote for McCain. Well, these are those dumbass, hardcore dykes. I say, good riddance to them and the trannies.

Posted by: NoJoe | Jul 22, 2008 11:54:55 AM

10. "...turned the African-American community against the Clintons"

Oh, DAVEY, please--when Senator Clinton runs for re-election to the Senate from New York, or for Obama's Vice-President, or for President (4 or 8 years from now) she will receive over 90% of the black vote (like that statistic, ABRACADAVER?). Aint nobody mad at her...not permanently. She's been too great a Democrat.

DAVEY, you remind me of an ol' Johnny Reb way DOwn South--50 years after the Civil War was over: you just keep fighting that battle forever.

"The Clintons Shall Rise Again!" Of course, they...I mean, she will.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 22, 2008 11:56:38 AM

11. 14% OF IGNORANT LGBT PEOPLE SUPPORT MCCAIN SHOULD BE THE TITLE!!!

Posted by: KFLO | Jul 22, 2008 12:16:17 PM

12. As a gay man myself...I think LCR's should be SCORNED & SHUNNED....I have Nothing to do with "Gay Republicans" ...they are TRAITORS!!! they want to be republicans...fine, wait 10yrs or so..when these bigoted dinos die off...In the meantime YOU are Voting against other Gay people/thier Rights and Futures...all so you can get your Greedy Tax breaks? If I meet a LCR...I'll tell them point blank...to "Go Fuck themselves"!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jul 22, 2008 12:19:25 PM

13. I am not likely to vote for Obama, but I know voting for McCain is a stupid idea. Many LGBT Republicans or conservatives thought voting for Bush in 2004 would make us safer or the economy would be in strong hands, but Bush actually had limp hands on the economy. Eg: lack of oversight on the housing markets, lack of consumer protection on toys from China.

I may like McCain's new energy policy or foreign policy, but I am putting civil rights first this year. Id want the left leaning judges able to retire with someone of their like mind in the supreme court.

If the first Obama term is a success, I'll ride the Obama train on his second term.

Posted by: Matt from California | Jul 22, 2008 12:26:47 PM

14. I would love to talk to those who comprise this 14%. I would love to understand why they think they don’t deserve a leader who understands, promotes, and supports LGBT issues. Amazing!

Posted by: Chris | Jul 22, 2008 12:41:27 PM

15. Funny thing is the way things have been going for McSame I suspect he's gonna lose his shit well before we even get around to any debates. This week has been absolutely brutal for the old man.

Posted by: Jersey | Jul 22, 2008 12:48:14 PM

16. Bob Barr here for me too. Sorry boo, maybe the statistic has more to do with the fact Obama isn't really the Messiah to everyone he is to you and less to do with where McCain falls on politically insignificant issues like DADT (I don't serve in the military), DOMA (not planning to get married) and I choose for myself whether or not to use a condom regardless of McCain's stand on their effectiveness.

Fact it, not everyone who is gay cares about gay oriented issues. Their views are no different than the roughly 50% of Americans in this country who care more about smaller government and less government interference in our personal lives than equal access to an institution the government should stay out of in the first place.

Posted by: Aries | Jul 22, 2008 1:01:01 PM

17. God help all you liberal whiners when we finally have equal access to fight in a war we don't want or to get married (and later divorced). Whatever will you all bitch about then? Oh yeah, the amount of taxes you are all paying for wasteful government programs.

Posted by: Jean | Jul 22, 2008 1:05:33 PM

18. i am planning on voting for obama. however, as many people pointed out, there are so many more issues than gay rights. if gay people choose to vote for mccain - then i'm sure it's b/c they feel he is stronger on other issues. i can't stand people who are "one issue" voters.

Posted by: towleroadfan | Jul 22, 2008 1:20:42 PM

19. Good god, are people still talking about some kind of "death tax"? The estate tax kicks in only after something like $2,000,000.

How many people are really going to inherit more than 2 million? 14% of the gay population? I don't think so. And why do people insist they shouldn't be taxed on huge amounts of money they didn't earn themselves anyway??

The limit before taxes kicked in used to be something like $600,000, which is already pretty high (though not now that the Bushies have devalued our dollar).

People who argue against the "death tax" are seldom actually going to be affected by the taxes. It's all just brainwashing.

Health care? Oh yeah, I'd much rather pay the drug companies and insurance companies huge amounts of money. Why is it that it's bad to pay the government (which may use the $$ for social services) but good to pay insurance execs and drug execs? Oh, so they can pass on their profits without taxes to their kids, yay!!!

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jul 22, 2008 1:29:25 PM

20. ANON

You forgot

25% (1 out of every 4 people) in america think jesus is coming back this year.

CRAZY, INSANE, STUPID

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jul 22, 2008 1:32:04 PM

21. How disheartening to read all the comments by the vile, Uncle Tom, self-hating, deluded, racist assholes who are voting Republican in November. Hard to believe that these selfish bastards would rather get taxed less than fighting the good fight against homophobia, against the ills of our society, voting to bring back our men from Iraq, and to lessen the hatred for America overseas. You people make me sick. If it wasn't for the "liberal" media and the democratic forces in this country, you wouldn't be "vacationing with your Partners," assholes. You'd be arrested for sodomy and demonized for being gay. Just look at what's happening to countries in the Middle East were people are being killed for being gay. I'm sure that's what you want to happen here in the U.S as well, you ostriches. Keep sticking your necks in the sand.

Posted by: Proud Liberal | Jul 22, 2008 1:36:45 PM

22. KFLO, do you know how many "ignorant LGBT" people there are? How did you determine that 14% of that number are McCain suppositories? er.... supporters?

Posted by: i before e | Jul 22, 2008 1:37:32 PM

23. PS

I mentioned in another thread

Libertarians = castrated hypocritial anarchists who want just enough government to protect them but nobody else.

Get some balls Libertarias and be full on anarchists as vs the half ass pussyfest that is ibertaianism because you are too scared to stare full on into chaos.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jul 22, 2008 1:37:45 PM

24. I'm not sure I buy the assertions in some comments that Republicans are for less government and less spending. I just don't see it.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 22, 2008 1:44:31 PM

25. LOL

The queen

"honey, it all boils down to the plain simple fact that some fags are stupid and in this case 14% of the fags are stupid."

The best!!!! comment ever posted at towleroad! EVER!!!

:-)