Baseball | Film | Music | News | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #324

BEFORE I FORGET: New film by Jacques Nolot "trains an unflinching spotlight on a species that, to judge from the movies, might as well be extinct: the aging homosexual." Opens in NYC July 18.

TIRADE: Minor league manager of the Wichita Wingnuts argues with an umpire,forcing him to smell his shoe and armpit at a game last week. The tirade has made the team rich and (relatively) famous.

LADY GAGA: Performs her single "Just Dance" at the Miss Universe swimsuit competition.

HAIR: New York's Public Theatre is doing a revival of Hair this summer. Here's a performance of "Black Boys/White Boys" at a recent preview performance in front of the Theory store in the meatpacking district. Three more of the performances here.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. 'roid rage?

What a maroon!

Posted by: Tralfaz | Jul 14, 2008 5:42:14 PM

2. "Before I Forget" is REQUIRED VIEWING!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 14, 2008 6:42:12 PM

3. Lady Gag = Diarhianna.

Does anyone sing anymore or just these talk songs.

Posted by: Br!on | Jul 14, 2008 8:35:57 PM

4. Lady Gaga made a surprise appearance over Gay Pride weekend at Bootie LA.

I caught a little video of it:

Her number with those two back-up dancers was a bit more racey than this one though.

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Jul 14, 2008 9:30:23 PM

5. Maroon????? HUH????

Posted by: dezboy | Jul 14, 2008 10:21:16 PM

6. Love that song.
    Miss USA was robbed. Robbed I tell ya!

Posted by: Shane | Jul 15, 2008 8:08:34 AM

7. I hope 'Before I Forget'. I hope it comes to Boston. Up until now gay men over 50 only had Derek Jakobi in 'Love is the Devil'. (The Ian McClellan film about the director didn't quite do it, as gifted as he is.)

Posted by: interglossa | Jul 15, 2008 8:25:25 AM

8. Dezboy...in the Olden Days, just after color television was invented, Warner Bros. "Bugs Bunny" cartoons were immensely popular (with much suggestive subtext - but that's another conversation); Bugs, when ridiculing an idiot, would often say, "what a MarOON..." meaning "moron." I know; long time ago...

P.S. Who's Ian McClellan?

Posted by: kile Ozier | Jul 15, 2008 10:43:17 AM

9. I wonder if Lady Gaga has ever heard of Madonna?

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 15, 2008 2:28:22 PM

10. The clip from Hair took me back. When I was a youth of 5, someone gave my family the Broadway album. I used to dance around the living room (yeah, I typed that on purpose) singing "sodomy" and "how can people be so heartless," but I couldn't understand why I couldn't bring the album in for show and tell to Kindergarten. Early Queerness squashed by societal norms. sigh.

Years later, I figured out that it was the Siren sounds of Nell Carter that ensnared me in the "Black boys/White boys" song. God I miss her. And now, for the rest of the night, I will be singing Give me a Break and sticking my Vacuum cleaner in the Aquarium (and no, that is not a euphemism.)

Posted by: jno | Jul 15, 2008 10:29:04 PM

11. Now I'm inspired. Here's Nell Carter singing the Mary Tyler Moore theme song-

Posted by: jno | Jul 15, 2008 10:43:49 PM