Barack Obama | Democratic National Convention | Democratic Party | Denver | Election 2008 | News

BigGayDeal.com

Barack Obama Accepts Nomination Before 84,000 in Denver

Dncobama

This was the view from our seats at Invesco Field at Mile High in Denver where last night Barack Obama delivered a speech which from my perspective (both literally and figuratively) lit the Democratic Party with a kind of excitement it has not seen in many years.

The atmosphere at the field was electric. We arrived at about 4 and things were just getting started. Security was tight and the stadium filled slowly to capacity. We had a fairly easy time getting in but soon after there were lines receding into the distance that took hours to process through security.

There's not much more to say - most of you saw it all, and if you haven't, the speech is after the jump. Democrats are energized, to say the least. It's been an exhausting and exhilarating time in Denver.

Check out our slide show of the Convention by clicking here. Move the top bar with your mouse to view the shots or navigate to the side of the large photo to move right and left.

And find all our Democratic National Convention coverage HERE.

Watch Obama's speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

Obama2

Comments

1. Plaindrome [sic]:

Are you serious? Honestly? The woman is being investigated for corruption by the Alaska legislature, she's anti-choice, the only thing she had done before being elected governor two years ago was being mayor of a small Alaska town, and her husband works for big oil. Are you kidding me?

If you don't like Obama, just say so. But don't try to tell people that the Hillary supporters are going to flock to this big-hair Phyllis Schlafly wanna-be. Frankly, I think the Palin choice is the best thing to happen to the Democrats since Laura Bush started taking clonazepam.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 29, 2008 1:06:44 PM

2. It was a well crafted and executed speech. Frankly, it had to be because if that speech had flopped he would have it would have set him back a significant amount.

However, after the smoke had cleared and the fireworks faded I reviewed the speech again for an article I need to write I have some questions. These are not the type of questions he should have answered in that speech last night bur he has about two months to get the answers. Some of these questions relate to the gay community specifically and some not.

Most of these question all start the same...How? I don't accept the answer that Congress will have full control of the House and the Senate. If that happens then possibly Obama gets a pass on monay programs...but if it doesn't...what happens?

So Mr.obama has a few questions to answer. Despite the platitudes and expressions of hope from this comment thread the reality is that they are pretty close together in the stats. Yes, he will get a bump from this convention but historically that has not always been a deciding factor. John McCain hasn't stayed in the Senate all these years because the people of Arizona are stupid and lazy. The man knows how to campaign...and he's been doing it a long time..

So Mr. Obama How?

How do you give a tax cut to 95% of Americans? Tax the hell out of the remaining 5%? This smells slightly of class warfare. Clinton tried to do this but once he got into office he was faced with the reality of what that would do at the time to the economy. Basically he blew the whole thing off and went on his merry way.

Why would you think that having limited rights for the GLBT community is enough? This is a community that has been battered on the rocks at the Federal level since a couple of months into the Clinton administration and Don't Ask Don't Tell became the reality for this generation of Gays and Lesbians. What does your plans for the gay community have that Bill CLinton lacked? How can your promises to this group succeed where others have failed some what miserably.

These are merely two of the nearly twenty questions I walked away with last night. Just because the Republicans won't do much or anything for the gay community at this shouldn't automatically give a pass to the Democrats not to be questioned about their plans and the reality of implementing them in both a non-Democratic Controlled Congress and a Democratic controlled Congress.

Posted by: Las Vegas | Aug 29, 2008 1:19:31 PM

3. He has my vote (obviously) but truth be told, I was looking for more. I wasn't as inspired as I have been in previous efforts, and I honestly thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity. Perhaps it's just because I've heard him speak now so many times, or because I thought Hillary blew the roof off the place. Maybe my expectations were too high. Whatever it was, it was enough, but it wasn't more than enough, all of course in my opinion.

Posted by: David | Aug 29, 2008 1:45:20 PM

4. Obama mentioned the gay community in his speech - this is history. OBAMA 2008!!!

Posted by: KFLO | Aug 29, 2008 1:46:24 PM

5. LAS VEGAS,

why wouldn't a House and Senate with an even greater Democratic majority be willing to raise taxes on the top 5% incomes in the United States. And they shouldn't stop at income taxes. There must be other ways to make the wealthy pay a little more.

As far as America's Gay Community: LAS VEGAS what other candidate from the two major parties has even bothered to mention the existence of Gay Americans in his acceptance speech...ever? Do you think that John McCain or Governor Palin will mention gay people's civil rights in their acceptance speeches?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 29, 2008 2:00:31 PM

6. Two new things we learn from Andy's slideshow (we already knew he was impossibly handsome):

Andy likes horseys.

Corey Johnson is either Andy's bff or his new boyfriend.

Posted by: anon | Aug 29, 2008 2:06:59 PM

7. The Milkman

I too noticed the Karen Walker look, while most mention Tina Fey from SNL & 30 Rock. SNL should have a field day with this pick.

As for Plaindrome and the other trolls just ignore them if you can, I know sometimes I can't help messing with them but don't take their shit seriously, they are beyond clueless.

Congrats again JIMMYBOY on your choice being a good one.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Aug 29, 2008 2:16:10 PM

8. I think all regular commenters should agree never to respond to Jason again. He clearly has some major problems.

As for the speech, it was amazing. As someone who hasn't seen Obama speak too many times, it was incredibly inspiring. Yes perhaps there were a few too many rose-colored promises, but that's what politicians do to get votes. I follow politics closely but after the primaries I generally have to take a break. If this was the introduction to Obama for many voters, he'll get a huge bump, and there's no way that McCain will be able to come close in his oratory---not to mention, Obama will destroy him in the debates.

Any gay man who is bitching about us not getting enough play can shut up. Reps of labor, pro-rights, gun control, and other perspectives can say the same thing. Were he to harp on any of those issues for too long, he would have lost votes. This isn't Fantasy Island. The fact is, he had the balls to mention us.

If you seriously think that voting for McCain and his crazy VP choice will improve your lives, even excluding gay issues entirely, you need therapy.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 29, 2008 4:20:53 PM

9. The DNC amazed me this year! Great speeches from Kennedy, Michelle, Biden, Hillary, Bill, and Barack. I was a bit nervous with the stadium but, WOW, unbelievable and truly inspirational. I was also happy to see the DNC hitting back against the ridiculous Republicans who want four more years of the same policies. Cheney and Rumsfeld were experienced too and look what that got us. Oh yeh, and Jen Hudson with the Star Spangled Banner...goose bumps. While Obama isn't for gay marriage, he is for giving civil unions the same federal rights as marriage, supports ending don't ask don't tell, and supports full inclusion of gays in the employment non discrimination act, as well as increased funding for US HIV/AIDS treatment. Don't assume Obama can win against the RNC, get involved, get your friends involved, give money, and VOTE for OBAMA!!

Posted by: WeCanDoBetter | Aug 29, 2008 10:35:09 PM

10. I chose not to watch and have am glad for the decision. That "event" had nothing to do with improving the quality of life for everyday Americans or restoring our nation's loss of moral leadership.

That "event" was anempty spectacle-flash with NO substance-a HUGE ego surrounded by a cult of personality.

Sen Obama has 2 main strenghts; the first is the weakness of his basic positions and the second is obssesive political ambition.

I put my "Hillary for President" sign back in yard Wednesday night.

Posted by: david in davenport iowa | Aug 30, 2008 1:21:16 PM

11. HEY DERRICK FROM PHILLY!

Nevada is not a "possibility".

THE SILVER STATE WILL GO DEMOCRATIC IN 2008!

I went to this convention a hard core Hillary supporter.

Two things happened.

1/ She sold out her supporters by agreeing to the most heinous roll call in our party's history so she could save her own political skin. All the money and work and time that her supporters put into getting to the convention and she stabbed us all in the back! I never believed what people said about her until this week in Denver.

None of us expected some crazy last minute crap was going to go down and Hillary would be the nominee. All we wanted was to vote and have all of our hard work acknowledged. When I heard California "pass" I got so mad for those hundreds of people (Obama supporters got fucked too, they didn't get to vote after all of their hard work.) who had worked so very hard to have their vote snatched away because Hillary cut a deal! At that moment I said to myself, FUCK HILLARY CLINTON!

2/ The atmosphere in Denver this week was ELECTRIC! If everyone could've seen and felt the energy and sheer joy of everyone because they were participating in the political process we wouldn't be worried about the election because we would all be out with a hundred friends on election day to make history. I decided on Thursday afternoon that I personally could not let all the energy of the young voters, the first time voters and all the different types be lost in the next election cycle if we lose the Presidential race. So many of them will be so discouraged that they may never return to the process. Which, of course, means their children won't grow up with a voting tradition and so on and so on.

And the simple fact is this; the reason all that enthusiasm was in the very air in Denver is Barack Obama. From his supporters to his detractors, he has brought America back to the process of caring about the future of America. Everyone I have spoken to, on the left and on the right had an informed opinion this election year.

For my own blog I have interviewed every type of person including a 4yr old Obama supporter who had our train cheering. Every single person I stopped and talked to had an opinion and was going to vote. I even talked to non-citizens including a waitress from China who said Obama "inspired" her.

As of this week I am a Barack Obama supporter and I pledge to personally deliver 100 people to the polls on election day. I challenge every Democrat to set a goal and deliver voters on election day 2008.

Sorry if I sound crazy but I have never had an experience like I had this week in Denver

Posted by: thevegasstyleguy | Aug 31, 2008 12:38:47 AM