Beijing | China | Gymnastics | News | Olympics

BigGayDeal.com

Beijing Olympics or the Cover of a Gay Romance Novel?

Hambuechen_horton

German gymnast Fabien Hambuechen and American Jonathan Horton share a moment during the horizontal bar apparatus finals. They won bronze and silver, respectively.

Comments

1. I have always noticed how the Europeans have no problem with this behavior, good for Horton, though Horton is going to get so much flack for this buy his buddies the rest of the Games. Screw them if they do Horton, you can always move to Germany.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Aug 20, 2008 6:08:22 PM

2. They both end up bottom boys for the chinese gold medalist in my fantasy. ;-D

Posted by: kc | Aug 20, 2008 8:32:34 PM

3. Eric is right. All this is is a sweet photo. I've hugged one of my friends in public, and on more than one occasion, I've had some straight boy make a suggestive comment. I can't say I liked it very much.

Posted by: David T | Aug 20, 2008 9:44:00 PM

4. I will see this picture in my dreams tonight. And every night.

Posted by: JeffRob | Aug 21, 2008 1:08:08 AM

5. What a beautiful sight!! Ironically, German men are often considered the most stoical of all western Europeans, and Americans aren't much better sometimes. But is it right for us to speculate on these two? Why are we as gays so quick to assume an affectionate look or touch is also sexual? Some men can be very affectionate together and not at all gay.

Posted by: timotito | Aug 21, 2008 5:02:17 AM

6. "It's like a painting in miniature"

LOL

Yeah, Derrick, I was hoping that the mental image of the hemline of Joan's maid's uniform would be super short... she was the bee's knees back in the day.

Liebchen and Liebling are pretty much synonymous as far as I can tell. Other than singing opera arias, I'm hardly fluent. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. As far as butch goes, I don't see a distinction... and if trade is the same as it was in the 80s and 90s, then honey it really doesn't matter which of those words you use, does it? It's all in the eyes.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 21, 2008 12:53:12 PM

7. Geez, TimoToto, no one is suggesting anything of the sort! Just having some fun here! Ease it up, hon.

Posted by: mike | Aug 21, 2008 1:58:00 PM

8. TIMOTITO, you are spot on.

Posted by: David T | Aug 21, 2008 7:58:51 PM

9. It's almost up there with this shot of Alexandre Despatie and Arturo Miranda trying ever so laboriously to keep thier crotches from touching:

Posted by: VelvetGunpowder | Aug 21, 2008 9:36:51 PM

10. http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2/VelvetGunpowder/Despatie/OlympicsDay11DivingFKfUPXFf28Fl.jpg

Posted by: VelvetGunpowder | Aug 21, 2008 9:38:23 PM

11. Sorry for the repeat comments but I couldn't get that link right for some reason...

Posted by: VelvetGunpowder | Aug 21, 2008 9:41:42 PM

12. "yes, I know Lance Bass, why?"

Posted by: Derek Washington | Oct 20, 2008 6:05:23 PM

13. I think of The Queen as more of Joan "Princess Flaming Tee Pee" Collins in Rally Round the Flag Boys.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Oct 20, 2008 6:08:56 PM

14. my gawd they look cuute!!!

Posted by: Mazin Al-Fadi | Oct 22, 2008 8:52:11 PM

15. Fine photo....they would be a lovely couple!

Posted by: Toureag | Oct 23, 2008 6:38:59 PM

16. As "cute" as the picture looks, Horton isn't gay. He's actually getting married to Haley DeProspero. She's also a gymnast at OU.

Posted by: Ellen | Dec 7, 2008 1:00:34 PM

17. I remember this embrace. Very lovely. (And of course it'd be nice to see more.) But it was 6 months ago. So why is it showing up again now? Is there some news about either or both of them? (D0n't I wish!) hmmm...

Posted by: Timotito | Jun 27, 2010 8:34:21 AM