Big Man on Campus

Tim_towle_3

Be sure to pick up the new issue of Men's Fitness with Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Tim Tebow on the cover. It seems this 6-3, 235-pound Florida Gator is not only headed for a big future in the NFL, he's also got an altruistic streak that includes (I'm not kidding) performing volunteer circumcisions and cyst removals in the Philippines (top that, Brady Quinn!). More photos from the sweaty spread over here.

Comments

1. So he's mutilating the penises of little boys in third world countries? Somebody STOP HIM!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 25, 2008 1:03:09 PM

2. Not to be a dick, but this seems like a promotion for your blog.

Have you busted any famous people on Manhunt lately? Now that would be newsworthy. :)

Posted by: crispy | Aug 25, 2008 1:07:07 PM

3. Wow, that's weird.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 25, 2008 2:01:17 PM

4. What?WTF?! Circumsision....why would it be wrong to keep your foreskin?! There is no hygiene problem, looks good, feels good. Or is this a way of pushing judaeo-christian bs on other cultures?

Posted by: nikko | Aug 25, 2008 2:12:31 PM

5. He's also a fundamentalist Christian and big bible-thumper. Of course, I may be biased as a University of Georgia graduate.

Posted by: Greg | Aug 25, 2008 2:12:58 PM

6. Nope, he doesn't do it for me.

Posted by: David | Aug 25, 2008 2:15:50 PM

7. Airbrush alert! Why can't people look like people . . . Instead of giant inflatables.

Posted by: Br!on | Aug 25, 2008 2:19:38 PM

8. um, am i misreading that or is it as creepy as it sounds...
    i have never come across the circumsion debate on here, but i think most gay guys know whats lost when the foreskin is lost.
    i am sick and tired of people with religious beliefs manipulating other people into doing the most crazy and destructive things!
    GOD wanted your penis to have foreskin you morons!

Posted by: trevor | Aug 25, 2008 2:24:40 PM

9. In the Philippines, a lot of circumcisions, specially in the rural areas, are performed outside of a hospital environment most often involving a machete against a large rock (get the picture?) and chewed-up guava leaves as an aneasthetic. Thanks to 400 years of Spanish colonization, Judeo-Xtian bullshit is already well-entrenched, circumcision or no circumcision. Any help in making it more hygienic would be welcome!!!

Posted by: bading | Aug 25, 2008 2:41:31 PM

10. Well, TREVOR, I guess you won't be dating any Jews or Muslims. Well, cut guys aint all that bad either--even if our dingdongs aren't that interesting to look at. Now, you got me thinking about Barack and ol' John....I wonder.

The quarterback seems kinda' peculiar to me. I wouldn't want him to spend the night...leave right after, you know. He can take a shower once he gets home.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 25, 2008 2:41:35 PM

11. While I agree with many of the comments here about the ick-factor of Tim performing circumcisions... I have to personally confirm that there was NO airbrushing done whatsoever. I see him on campus regularly, even having have chatted a few times, and I can attest that he looks just as airbrushed in person, i.e. he IS that perfect. It's almost scary.

Posted by: Gainesville Gator | Aug 25, 2008 3:15:27 PM

12. I didn't realize that the NCAA had a circumcistion and cystectomy training program. I think it's sweet that they're preparing him for a physician's assistant position just in case the NFL doesn't work out.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 25, 2008 3:22:54 PM

13. i didnt say i wouldnt date someone, god people are so quick to feel like i am judging them, my point was that dick mutilation, regardless of the reason, is sick, now i was unware of the circumastances surrounding the reasons why this guy was doing it( the uncool way that it is done in that country) but that speaks to a greater issue obviously.....i have no issue with adult cut dicks, i just know that you have lost a great amount of your sensativity( making an internal organ be outside) aswell as the 2 inches by five inches of erogenous zone thats removed( somthing like 40 thousand nerve endings)

so i think the whole thing should stop, just because it was done in the past doesnt make it RIGHT...but i also understand how men dont want to look at themselves as a victim and DEFINETLY dont want to look down and think that something is missing from their dick, so it continues........

Posted by: trevor | Aug 25, 2008 4:00:33 PM

14. Just a little infor on Mr. Tebow via Wikipedia:

"Tebow was born on August 14, 1987 in the Philippines to Bob and Pam Tebow, who were serving as Christian missionaries at the time."

"All of the Tebow children were homeschooled by their mother, who worked to instill the family’s deep Christian beliefs along the way."

Wanna bet what Timbo's belief about gays are?

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Aug 25, 2008 4:17:19 PM

15. Sorry, TREVOR, I assume that everybody knows my sense of humor by now...you know, me being a celebirty like Barack. Sorry.

It's funny, one of my favorite Towleroad posters of all time, ZEKE, had to "read" me about this very subject. I made some stupid joke about un-circumcised penises. Well, ZEKE lit into me, and I appreciate it till this day. He opened my mind. I mean, how else can I prepare myself for all these gorgeous uncut Latinos who are going to come my way after my Powerball victory. It's coming--I can feel it.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 25, 2008 4:18:26 PM

16. @ NIKKI ... Stop your discrimination and get the facts. It has nothing to do with Judaeo-Christian beliefs and everything to do with reducing the spread of HIV/AIDS. There are many, many solid scientific studies that have demonstrated the reduction in the spread of HIV/AIDS among heterosexuals if the male is circumcised. Check PubMed Central at the National Library of Medicine at the NIH.

Posted by: BoJo | Aug 25, 2008 6:41:00 PM

17. Circumcision was never a particularly Catholic thing, though it might have caught on among some missionaries.

Tebow is most famous in these parts for being particularly close to his once delinquent roommate. So close in fact that their on air kiss caused quite a stir among ESPN sports announcers. Full coverage right here on TR.

Posted by: anon | Aug 25, 2008 9:51:08 PM

18. It should be noted that prior to performing these circumcisions, Tebow had no formal medical training. Since he was on a missionary trip to the orphanage his father's ministry run, I suppose he thought it was okay. After all, they were just poor orphans and he's a white Christian missionary saving them.

Posted by: thack | Aug 25, 2008 10:06:52 PM

19. Circumcision reduces the risk of HIV infection because it cuts out Langerhans cells in the foreskin. What are Langerhans cells? They are important, vital, crucial cells that are white blood cells that prevent infection. HIV targets white blood cells. That's why.

Now, would you cut out all your teeth to prevent a potential toothache?

Would you cut off a leg to prevent a potential gangrene infection?

Why would you cut off an incredibly important, sensitive, useful piece of skin, foreskin, when there are so many other useful, practical, and non-damaging ways to prevent a disease.

Circumcisions should not be performed on a wide-ranging basis unless for cultural or religious purposes, and even then with adult consent as an adult.

Posted by: Rodger | Aug 26, 2008 12:28:39 AM

20. Filipino boys are usually circumcised at 'tuli' community rituals around age 10 - 12. While still not technically an adult, the 'cutting' is meant to symbolize a form of passage into manhood. In fact, being 'uncut' is considered a stigma in Philippine-culture. These rituals predate 16th century Christianization having been practiced long-before the Spaniards came. The health benefits are only being discovered now but in 1526, you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who knew what langerhans cells are.

Posted by: bading | Aug 26, 2008 4:39:43 AM

21. I think it should be noted that by "volunteer" you mean that Tebo, a man with absolutely NO medical training whatsoever, volunteered to cut little boys foreskins off.

The BOYS didn't volunteer to have it done to themselves.

By some of the reasoning given for circumcision I'm surprised that we don't lop off little girls breasts to cut down their chances of getting breast cancer. Of course that just sounds absurd and offensive yet it would actually be more effective than circumcision is in preventing AIDS, ESPECIALLY when a more effective and less intrusive alternative (condoms) is available.

I'm not against circumcision for any adult man or woman who freely chooses it. I'm just against performing such a serious, permanent and unnecessary surgical procedure on someone who is unable to make an informed decision for themselves as an adult.

And I'm CERTAINLY against allowing college football players with no medical training to be allowed to perform the procedure and then tell a newspaper how wild it was for him to know that he was cutting something off of another person while "my hands were shaking like crazy".

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 26, 2008 10:14:24 AM

22. It's pretty bizarre to consider circumcision a judea-CHRISTIAN policy. How do you think Jews were distinguished from Christians by the Nazis? Or Muslims from Christians by Serbs in Bosnia? It was the Christians in those cases that were uncut.

In the US in the 50s and 60s everyone was routinely circumcised by doctors shortly after birth.

I'll go on record as being against it, but it does appear to have a rather significant effect on HIV transmission through the penis (which probably shows up most clearly in straight populations).

The WHO says "There is now strong evidence from three randomized controlled trials undertaken in Kisumu, Kenya, Rakai District, Uganda and Orange Farm, South Africa that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%."

As to sensitivity, it may be true, though I have no way to tell. I don't feel like I need to be MORE sensitive than I am now ;-)

Posted by: Kevinvt | Aug 26, 2008 2:08:37 PM